Mini Sega Megadrive anyone?!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

kiwimike

Mini Sega Megadrive anyone?!

Post by kiwimike » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 am

With the recent announcement Sega are joining the Mini retro market themselves, is anyone that keen on the Mini Megardrive?

I have mixed feelings. It could be good, if done well and with the right games. Sadly, it seems Sega have whored the usual Megadrive games out more than a Namco Museum. Will there be the interest? It has to be quality hardware and emulation, and it has to have some great games not previously available. IMO.

RetroBob

Re: Mini Sega Megadrive anyone?!

Post by RetroBob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:57 am

It sounds like this is another AT Games thing, albeit new tech Vs last year so I will wait to know more before getting excited about it.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:48 am

I've not been interested in any of the mini iterations, I reckon everything eventually will get a go, we'll probably see N64 mini, PS1 mini, etc. I think the only thing that might possibly interest me in this line would be an Amiga mini, with games fully configured already, no guru meditations to worry about, now that's something I think I would buy immediately, so long as the right software was included, as well as an option to add more games.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:22 am

If this is an actual premium Sega product like the Nintendo minis, great. If it's just more cheap licenced crap, no.

TBH Megadrive games are now so freely available on pretty much any format you can name that I don't see the point.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:26 am

killbot wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:22 am
If this is an actual premium Sega product like the Nintendo minis, great. If it's just more cheap licenced crap, no.

TBH Megadrive games are now so freely available on pretty much any format you can name that I don't see the point.
100% this.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

BarbaricAvatar

Post by BarbaricAvatar » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:07 pm

I'm not sure what they could do to encourage people to shell-out for one if they already own the Megadrive collections on PS2/3. A Mini would likely include all the same games, because they're the big hitters.
The only way i can see Sega making it worhtwhile is to make the system handheld. Mini Megadrive? Pointless. Portable Megadrive? Awesome!
No, i'm not angry. That's just how i write.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Thing is, there are some clone handhelds that have MD games installed. Then if you're a purest and don't mind the cost or its chunky size, there's the SEGA Nomad. :lol: Hell, if you download the SEGA Forever app, you can play MD games for free on your phone (With ads, but a small fee to remove them from the game you like and bluetooth controller support). :lol:

Honestly, this is probably why Nintendo's Virtual Console stuff is "pricey", they actually value their older games and won't just put out a million collections or give them away for nothing (Unless a certain 3DS launch under-performs.). There's so many legal ways to play/own MD games, it kind of hurts their resell value outside of the original carts. Heck, just a couple of years ago, I picked up the PS3 collection from Cash Convertors for £1.50. Why would I want to shell out £40+ for another collection with missing games and a few new ones I can count on 1 hand?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 am

killbot wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:22 am

Agree completely. Love the Mini NES/SNES, and had it been up with those, yes I would have been keen. Sadly it does sound like it's more At games stuff. So don't understand what the hype was all about! Shame what Sega has done to it's own franchises IMO, too many cheap knockoffs

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 am

It looks like AtGames are behind it again which is a shame given their track record. Hopefully they will have take a long look at the Mini NES and SNES and use them as the standard they need to reach. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... etes_tweet

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Yeah, it all hangs on Sega doing some thorough software and build quality checks and raise the standards and expectations of emulation. The Megadrive is not that difficult to emulate to a high level of accuracy and compatibility, but Atgames have fallen short before in this area, so hopefully Sega will raise their "game" now they are part of the project.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:53 pm

I don't see the point of these things. Including the mini SNES.

I've got a bunch of devices that emulate these games. What I don't have is an infinite number of HDMI sockets on my TV. I'd rather stick with the Pi as it does it all.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:53 pm
I don't see the point of these things. Including the mini SNES.

I've got a bunch of devices that emulate these games. What I don't have is an infinite number of HDMI sockets on my TV. I'd rather stick with the Pi as it does it all.
Convenience I guess. Most people have fond memories of games they grew up with, but don't collect them like we retro gamers. Your kid's first console if they're not ready for the big boys like XBONE or PS4. 4K tellies are mostly ditching older connections and only have HDMI, etc.

True there is the Pi, but not everyone knows how to get one or set it up. These clones, you can just walk into a store, buy, plug in, and there you go. If it breaks, you can get it fixed or replaced easily though the warranty or take back to the store with a receipt.

And then there are those like me that just collect anything Nintendo regardless. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 am

Yeah, it's not like you can't just set up one box that does it all regarding emulation and I'd think that most of us with an inclination towards that sort of thing have already got several. It's just nice to have something that's convenient and carries the stamp of officialdom to keep the legend alive. And yes, I've already got a bunch of MD games on Steam that fit that bill, but wouldn't say no to a cheap box that looks the part if it can do the job too.

So far as AtGames go, I'd just think that they need to concentrate on getting the basics right. Their devices already sport several advanced features (wireless controllers, the ability to use old cartridges, handheld option, etc.) that the Nintendo minis lack. They just seem to be carrying the baggage of bugs in previous iterations that haven't been fixed (emulation glitches and slowdown, bad sound, an iffy dpad, etc.) and whose continuing presence rather hints that they never will be. I'll be waiting for the reviews on this one.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 am

They aren't for us. If they were, they'd offer more. They're for the casual nostalgic, the impulse and gift buyers.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 am
They aren't for us. If they were, they'd offer more. They're for the casual nostalgic, the impulse and gift buyers.
Exactly ! I think things like this are good, not that i'll get them but it might help get more people into retro gaming generally, they might go from a casual fan to perhaps a bit more. Same for most of the other mini consoles etc.

More people getting into retro the better. Lots of people out there wont be bothered downloading roms or emulators, something like this might suit them big time