games where the original was best

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Re: games where the original was best

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:53 am

Space Harrier - imo the first was the best, mainly because it was a "cutting edge" Arcade game in it's time

Prince of Persia - while I can't say it's outright the best in the whole series, I will say it for sure is better than PoP2 and that interesting but flawed 3D entry

Monkey Island - maybe the original was not the best per-se, but I enjoyed it the most and also think it was more influential

Doom - Doom II was nice and all, but original Doom edges it out in terms of level design and importance (no super shotgun though)

Soldier of Fortune - the original was the most fun, a gory FPS a little similar to GoldenEye

Vietcong - superb Vietnam first-person shooter, great campaign and feel, sadly the second game was a mess

Call of Duty - yeah, I believe the first game was the best, back when it was still mainly a PC shooter, after that it went all downhill and now it's some strange mess for console kiddies (note that I know there are good console FPS too, I enjoyed Halo, GoldenEye and Turok)

Halo - bold statement again, but it's the one I enjoyed the most, Halo 2 and 3 just didn't do it for me and then I lost interest (also because I was mainly a PC gamer and they stopped porting them over)

Black & White - this spiritual successor to Populous was pretty amazing, if a bit repetitive after a while, the sequel looked good and added warring tribes, but it wasn't as charming

These from the top of my head.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:47 am

I agree with Soldier of Fortune . SoF made the basic pistol fun, though there would be almost no ammo after the second or third mission IIRC.

Agree with Halo , too. I just couldn't get as enthused for the sequels or Reach, though ODST came pretty close.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:29 am

Wipeout - the sequels required less skill and hence had less reward factor, completing a lap without scraping the walls gave an immense buzz that was lost in the sequels, the sequels were the Burnout of racing games in comparison.

Destruction Derby - again the first one was the best, the first was true British banger style racing, the sequels turned American race track style and lost the fun of tightnit racing and hanging on with the last bit of car was nerve-racking!