games where the original was best

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: games where the original was best

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 am

NeppyDreamy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:40 am
Tetris
What are we considering to be the original Tetris? The first Gameboy version perhaps perfected it, but that isn't the original.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 am
NeppyDreamy wrote:
Tetris
What are we considering to be the original Tetris? The first Gameboy version perhaps perfected it, but that isn't the original.
The original Tetris would be the text-only version for the Elektronika 60, a Russian clone of the PDP-11.

In terms of the gameplay though, the Gameboy version is pretty much identical so I'd think that it just about counts at least if you'll overlook the 2-player mode.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:54 pm

I agree that it's an unfair comparison to compare OutRun and OutRun, but the OP is asking which games have the original as best, and OutRun ain't better than OutRun 2. And I can't agree that 2 is a remake because apart from being able to choose the same car and the same music it's completely different. Also OutRun as a racing sim? It was definitely an arcade racer, pure and simple.

Hardly an exact science, and it helps that the cab is a dual cab, allowing you to race a mate (another thing that makes 2 better) but at Bury arcade the Outrun 2 cab is almost constantly populated , often with people queing ,whilst the original isn't (although gets its fair share of plays). Or at least it has been everytime i've visited.

But I don't deny that (and as I've said before) the original was that special and that memorable that for some people it can't be bettered regardless of how superior any follow up night be.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:12 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:54 pm
it helps that the cab is a dual cab, allowing you to race a mate (another thing that makes 2 better)
It isn't just a dual cab, you can link cabs too! Our local arcade used to have a row of 3 or 4 cabs all connected for link play.

Its one of the few cabs I've seen Mrs Ant really enjoy.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:43 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Also OutRun as a racing sim? It was definitely an arcade racer, pure and simple.
I'm not saying it was a sim racer; aside from a few isolated early examples like Chequered Flag and Revs - which weren't likely to have much influence on Japanese arcade manufacturers - sim racing as a genre didn't really exist until much later. Papyrus's Indianopolis 500 in 1989 is usually considered to have been the game that got that particular ball rolling.

Up until that point though, there wasn't really a clear idea at the time of whether arcade racing games should strive for realism or pure adrenaline and there's a bit of both going on with most of the ones from that period. OutRun is definitely much more on the arcade side of things than WEC Le Mans and Hard Drivin', both of which were touted as simulators, but wasn't quite the sort of game where you could just clog down and seat-of-the-pants steer through the traffic.

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:45 am

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:11 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 am
NeppyDreamy wrote:
Tetris
The original Tetris would be the text-only version for the Elektronika 60, a Russian clone of the PDP-11.

In terms of the gameplay though, the Gameboy version is pretty much identical so I'd think that it just about counts at least if you'll overlook the 2-player mode.
I meant in terms of gameplay. The spin-offs aren't as good as the original.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:12 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
it helps that the cab is a dual cab, allowing you to race a mate (another thing that makes 2 better)
It isn't just a dual cab, you can link cabs too! Our local arcade used to have a row of 3 or 4 cabs all connected for link play.

Its one of the few cabs I've seen Mrs Ant really enjoy.

Yes there was a 4 linked up machine in Blackpool. Not only that, but each cab had 2 steering wheels. Iirc the game 'flipped' between players mid-play.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:43 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
Also OutRun as a racing sim? It was definitely an arcade racer, pure and simple.
I'm not saying it was a sim racer; aside from a few isolated early examples like Chequered Flag and Revs - which weren't likely to have much influence on Japanese arcade manufacturers - sim racing as a genre didn't really exist until much later. Papyrus's Indianopolis 500 in 1989 is usually considered to have been the game that got that particular ball rolling.

Up until that point though, there wasn't really a clear idea at the time of whether arcade racing games should strive for realism or pure adrenaline and there's a bit of both going on with most of the ones from that period. OutRun is definitely much more on the arcade side of things than WEC Le Mans and Hard Drivin', both of which were touted as simulators, but wasn't quite the sort of game where you could just clog down and seat-of-the-pants steer through the traffic.
I see what you mean. I think until Ridge Racer(?) there was no powersliding , so the only challenges a game could throw at you was roadside objects and other traffic on the road. With the advent of powersliding you could now keep up the speed, but the challenge now was to when (and if) to start a slide and how you then control it. Does this make it more fun? For me absolutely YES

But for anyone who dislikes powerslides and prefers the Pole Position/OutRun method of skilful use of brake/gear mixed with traffic dodging and remembering where turns are , then the original is going to be the preferred game.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Super Monkey Ball on Gamecube.

2 was good but the purity of the original's levels is better. Also the original's mini games are better.

Subsequent games have added jumping and sullied its purity.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:43 pm

Much preferred originalVirtua Tennis to 2 as it was an easier more fun game, as were the mini games.

Also The Secret of Monkey Island was better than all the sequels. I don't understand when people say Le Chuck is the best; it's much bigger but that makes it harder, Guybrush is meaner and not as much fun (locking Stan in the coffin, stealing Willie's eyeglass so he can't see) and some of it just feels like hard work; plus the ending is a tad disappointing, certainly compared to the original. In fact I probably prefer Curse to Le Chuck.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:46 am

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the greatest arcade game of all time yet, that being Mr Do!

The three sequels were all very good games but couldn't match the playability and addictiveness of the original.

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Tue May 01, 2018 2:08 pm

davyK wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 pm

2 was good but the purity of the original's levels is better. Also the original's mini games are better.

^-^
I remember that game when I was around 5 or 6!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:35 pm

NeppyDreamy wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:08 pm
davyK wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 pm

^-^
I remember that game when I was around 5 or 6!!
^-^
I remember that game when I was around 32 or 33!! :shock:

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri May 04, 2018 9:21 am

Have to say much as I love OutRun, I can't see how anyone without rose-coloured glasses could prefer it over OutRunners. More courses, better handling, great music, and some of the most spectacular 2D visuals ever seen in an arcade. It's a stone-cold classic, and it's a crying shame we've never had a home port yet (MD doesn't count).

Myself, Dues Ex definitely. Enjoyed Human Revolution immensely, but the constraints of fitting it on consoles meant the areas were really quite small in comparison. Love Human Revolution, but not the open-world design of it, it sucked a lot of pace out of it for me.

I'd say Rolling Thunder - enjoyed the sequels but there just something about the pace and simplicity of the original that I prefer.

Mr Do I'd probably go along with, though I find Mr Do Run! stupidly addictive also.

R-Type? 2 was way to hard, Delta was good, Final was a bit slow.

Daytona USA and Sega Rally.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Jack The Nipper
Rolling Thunder
Golden Axe
Toejam & Earl
Grand Theft Auto (Original 1997 PS1 release)

In and of themselves I rather liked the sequels of these games - Except Jack The Nipper II, which I just never got into - but the originals were certainly better than their sequels.
Press Play On Tape