PS3 Help - YLOD!! :-(

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

PS3 Help - YLOD!! :-(

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:50 pm

Hey There

Sadly, my PS3 has finally just conked out with the dreaded Yellow Light Of Death :(

So a couple of questions/bits of advice if you please.

1) Is it worth getting it repaired? I've found a couple of online places that do repairs

2) Should I just get a new or second hand one?

If I do just get another PS3 -I know you can get them fairly cheaply these days - what will happen to the stuff on my PSN account such as game saves, DLC and the like - in particular CAW/logo downloads for WWE 2K16 and other games besides?

I asked all this to the person in my local GAME store, who seemed to be about 12 years old :shock:, and he looked at me as if I was speaking in Klingon! :(

Any help here would be brilliant!
Press Play On Tape

Sel Feena

Re: PS3 Help - YLOD!! :-(

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:48 pm

DLC should be redownloadable, game saves are gone though unless you saved them to cloud I believe. Had to replace my PS4 recently, and it was a right faff downloading all my stuff again. Luckily my interwebs is fairly decent

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Is swapping the hard drive from old to replacement PS3 a possibility to retain all the existing saves and downloads?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:18 pm

Long as you have Playstation Plus, your gamesaves should be backed up on a cloud service, though I think its limited to 10GB of saves, which might mean your WWE CAWs might of either eaten that up or were just too big to fit on.

I think if you long onto a new PS3 and link your account to that PS3, it should allow you to redownload all your stuff. Not 100% sure, you might wanna contact Sony or look through their FAQs on that.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:06 am

This happened to me a few years ago.

I'd already backed up some of my saves, but some wouldn't back up online. Dragon Age Origins I'm looking at you, which was the game I was currently playing and 80 hours into.

It cost me £40 to get repaired, then I hooked it up to the new one over the network and transferred everything across. I'd recommend deleting all installs or it could take forever. You can redownload. It will transfer all saves, accounts, and games if you leave them on there. You can also back it up to an external drive instead and do the transfer that way.

If it's an original "fat" model then I would say get rid of it after. The fix won't last forever and you can pick up slim models dirt cheap these days, I've seen them go for as little as £30 with games on Facebook marketplace.

You can't just put the drive in a new machine as it will try to format it unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:26 am

I bought a ylow ps3 for a £5, I ended up spending around £30 in different parts to try and fix it and still couldn't get anything out of it. Best advice, but your loss and buy another.
You will keep everything you bought from psn and if you had ps+ and was using automatic cloud saves they will be there too.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 pm

If it comes to the worst and you aren't afraid to take it apart yourself (there are many Youtube videos on the subject) then you might be able to get it working again long enough to back up saves to a FAT32 formatted external HDD or USB stick.

Sometimes it is as easy as replacing the thermal paste between the CPU and heatsinks and cleaning all of the muck out of the console. The fix won't last forever but it may give you enough time to back stuff up.

After that then - as has been said - I'd scrap it as old-style PS3's really aren't worth salvaging. You might get some money for it as a faulty unit if it is one of the very first 60GB backwards compatible models since those are sort of worth repairing and they do sell on ebay.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks for the input! :D

It is indeed a 'Fat' PS3 - I may just see how much it is to get it fixed and take my chances.

I'll make sure everything is backed up and then if/when it goes again then I'll look for a thin version.

But now I imagine they won't even be that expensive to pick a new one.

But like the Mega Drive and Speccy before it, it's been a loyal friend and I don't want to be totally without a PS3.
Press Play On Tape

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:01 pm

No reason why you can't keep it if you replace it if it hold sentimental value to you. My 1st 360 was the old "fat" model and while I always looked after it, in the back of my head was always that fear of the red rings of death, so I picked up the newest model some years ago for that reason (And storage, 500GB vs a tiny 60 on my old one. :lol: ) but always kept the old one for old time sake for the memories and the fact it was my gateway to the 360 library.

And hey, since 360 can do Lan parties, you never know when that might come in handy. ;)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:16 pm

My old fat PS3 did this and I didn't have ps plus on the ps3 so nothing was cloud saved (but I did after I stopped playing it so much on my ps4 just hadn't gone back to backup my saves)

I cooked the bugger in the oven for 20 mins, it melted a bit of the corner plastic together but made it work again. I logged on and uploaded ALL my saves to Ps plus then transferred to the slimline PS3 I had bought since.

Winner.

PSN username - MartinPhantom