Atari VCS

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

killbot

Re: Atari VCS

Post by killbot » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:59 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:41 am
250 bucks? I'll pass on this one, if thats the case.
It depends on how they pitch it. If it's just a fancy way to play old 2600 games the price is crazy, you could buy a Flashback for far less. If on the other hand it's a proper console with its own library of games and the 2600 stuff is just a bonus (as with the VC on Nintendo machines) then the price is competitive, below any of the three main home consoles on the market now.

It's likely to be a far more niche proposition than consoles by MS, Sony or Nintendo but hopefully Atari realise that and are being conservative with their expectations, not betting the whole company on the thing selling 50 million units.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:57 pm

killbot wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:59 am
If on the other hand it's a proper console with its own library of games and the 2600 stuff is just a bonus (as with the VC on Nintendo machines) then the price is competitive, below any of the three main home consoles on the market now.
My impression is that that's not what's happening. Everything that I've seen about the project so far smacks of "me too". AMD processor and graphics, Linux OS? That sounds like a fairly mediocre indie and emulator device to me.

I think the very fact that we're talking about the hardware instead of all the exciting new games they've got planned for us says it all really. I would love it if Atari came up with a niche console with all original and exclusive games but as far as I can tell they're not.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:13 pm

Yes, if it's just the same flashback 2600 titles, it'll just fall flat on it's face. It'll need to get in the 5200, 7800, Jag titles. If we're making a wish list I would want it to include arcade ports from other companies that appeared on Atari devices too.
Not sure about how the licensing rights to the 7800 Nintendo ports would go for example!

Then I think Lynx, perhaps if we can't get that emulated well enough perhaps updated versions on Lynx games specially for the VCS, along with the obvious updates on Atari Arcade classics.

As for new games, roping in some third parties is essential if it wants to keep going rather than just sell to us Atari fanboys!

I still think 2600 whenever VCS is mentioned though! :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:26 am

Most likely, I'd think it's just going to be a rather basic PC in a novelty case.

That'll doubtless disappoint many people who were hoping for a console comeback from Atari, but realistically they just don't have much to offer on the software front these days. They've long ceased to be a major publisher of AAA games and all you're likely to see from them is re-packaged 2600 classics, a few indie games developed by other people, and lawsuits.

For $250 I wouldn't think it terribly bad value though, as I'd struggle to build a machine based around the A10-9700 for much less than that and most comparably priced nettops are based on the much weaker Celeron or Atom processors. Whether it fits anyone's needs is another matter though, and I'd think that the whole Steam Machine farce rather demonstrated that not too many people are looking for a Linux PC in their living room.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 am

So I take it nobody is hyped for it?

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:40 am

DPrinny wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 am
There are a few people on AtariAge who have delusional expectations of this device (not to mention more than a few people who are outraged at Atari calling it a VCS) but, apart from that, most people see it for what it is. A shamelessly transparent "me too" product.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:00 pm

English Invader wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:40 am
DPrinny wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 am
There are a few people on AtariAge who have delusional expectations of this device (not to mention more than a few people who are outraged at Atari calling it a VCS) but, apart from that, most people see it for what it is. A shamelessly transparent "me too" product.
Im still annoyed at those that named the Xbox one

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:06 pm

English Invader wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:57 pm
I think the very fact that we're talking about the hardware instead of all the exciting new games they've got planned for us says it all really. I would love it if Atari came up with a niche console with all original and exclusive games but as far as I can tell they're not.
Outside of Nintendo, Sony and MS, I don't think anyone else has the means to have "triple A" production exclusive titles for their platform in today's times. Most of today's games are multiformat anyway, since both publishers and developers see this as the best way to maximize profits. Valve, Nvidia and Intel tried to have their own "PC consoles" but it seems they got a decidedly niche reputation. So a AMD/ARM/Linux box that runs ports of PC and mobile titles and emulators is probably the best it gets.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:12 am

I guess it's time for a bump as this thing has finally launched, and it's already hit the crowdfunding target.

You can see the Indiegogo page here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atar ... mputers-pc

The key details are:
Bristol Ridge A10 APU
4GB RAM
32GB Internal storage (eMMC)
External storage can be added via USB drives and SD cards
Ubuntu (Linux) OS
100 games included, a mix of arcade and 2600
Online multiplayer, streaming and download service via subscription, details TBC
Third party games via Steam, etc. where compatible with the OS and hardware
Price ranges between $199 (Onyx with no controller) and $329 (Woodgrain with both controllers)
Delivery is planned for July 2019

My thoughts:
The Bristol Ridge A10 is an obsolescent chip, and will be even more so next year when this ships. It's OK for low-fi gaming, streaming, emulation, etc. but won't really cut the mustard for a lot of modern AAA games. It's well below the spec of the APUs in even the original XB1 and PS4, for comparison and with this being well and truly in their price range, I'd think that's a valid one. It's maybe a little better than the custom Tegra X1 in the Switch, but seeing as you can't undock the VCS and take it with you that would seem a moot point. Also, unlike the consoles, I wouldn't be expecting this thing to be getting many well optimized ports of big games either, and you can pretty much forget about Atari supplying it with any meaningful exclusives.

Although the inclusion of some arcade games is nice, other than that there's very little concrete that this will do that's not already covered by the Flaskback 8, which is much cheaper and available now. Anyone who thinks that the online service and the promise of native games is a selling point should probably hold fire until those ideas are fully crystallized.

14 months is a long time in advance to be putting your money down for this and even that assumes that the schedule doesn't slip.

$199 seems a reasonable price for the Onyx version, but having to fork out an extra ton for a sliver of wood seems steep.

With just a single button the classic controller is probably not going to be suitable for anything but old 2600 and arcade games, so you'll probably need the modern controller if you want to play anything else. On the other hand, if you've already got an 360 controller or something similar, you might just be able to use that.

I'll be giving this a miss myself, at least for the time being. I've actually got a use for such a machine but this is no better - and in many ways considerably worse - than the one I built to do the job five years ago. I could get a Raven Ridge APU, a new motherboard, twice the RAM, and a decent sized SSD for the same money, so I'll probably do just that.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:28 am

With what I've heard so far- it's a pass from me too. It just doesn't have enough bang for your buck, nor enough Atari history to make it worthwhile.

If I want 2600 titles, Flashback 8 will do the job, don't they get that? 2600 have been done to death, it's not a selling point. 5200, the Atari computer, and forward to jag- yes, that would have made it interesting. And Atari arcade games are on numerous compilation discs.

My interest has moved away from this Atari which looks a dud, to this Intellivision one now, let's see what that has to offer! :)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:38 pm

It's cute.

But not spend $200+ wait a year & a half and hope for the best cute.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:42 pm

the_hawk wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:38 pm
It's cute.

You're getting mixed up with the Vega+, aren't you?

Oh wait, you aren't, because they're never going to get it at all!!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:24 am

Spector wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:42 pm
the_hawk wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:38 pm
It's cute.

You're getting mixed up with the Vega+, aren't you?

Oh wait, you aren't, because they're never going to get it at all!!
There have been a couple of similarities, which sounds alarm bells! Unfortunately that absolute turd of a situation that is the Vega DUD will tar any genuine future kickstarter type funding campaigns now...unless it is sorted once and for all with either money back, or product (the Promised product of some quality, not a junky get out of jail item). Sad situation.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:31 am

Just to add another alarm bell, it turns out that the Tempest 4000 footage was faked. Llamasoft have confirmed that there isn't a port to the VCS, or even Linux, under development.

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/co ... hat_atari/

Atari have since backpedaled and admitted that they showed the PC version, but they still put a very misleading description on their video. Also, knowing that now, I'd be suspicious that all the other footage we saw in the trailers was basically just a rigged demo too.

Ah well, at least that explains why they're saying 14 months to delivery. They've probably not even finished the hardware yet.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:17 am

Matt_B wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:31 am
Just to add another alarm bell, it turns out that the Tempest 4000 footage was faked. Llamasoft have confirmed that there isn't a port to the VCS, or even Linux, under development.

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/co ... hat_atari/

Atari have since backpedaled and admitted that they showed the PC version, but they still put a very misleading description on their video. Also, knowing that now, I'd be suspicious that all the other footage we saw in the trailers was basically just a rigged demo too.

Ah well, at least that explains why they're saying 14 months to delivery. They've probably not even finished the hardware yet.
Yes indeed. I want to like it, the sentimental old fart in me would love a new Atari console. But no way would I be parting with money in advance with what we know. And especially, what we don't know. It's what stopped me with Gamegadget- I kept emailing asking them questions when they promoted it, and they either replied without answering the actual question, or didn't reply at all. Much like Vega+, and this has so many similarities I am quite happy to reserve judgement and see the reviews if or when it emerges, and what I would get for that quite large sum for what it actually is.