Atari VCS

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

killbot

Atari VCS

Post by killbot » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 pm

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-produ ... x-3661505/

I'm a bit surprised nobody's posted about this, especially Laird, as the first proper new Atari console (ignoring the Atari-licenced Flashback) since 1996 should be big news. The machine formerly known as the Ataribox has been formally christened the VCS (a rather obvious throwback to the 2600s original name) and we now know a bit more about it. It'll run a Linux-based OS and play a selection of classic Atari games and new titles via an online storefront. It comes with a standard dual analogue controller and an updated version of the 2600 controller (presumably just for retro titles). And... that's about all we know. There's some stuff about how you can install a new OS and run it as a fully-functional computer, though it's lacking a dedicated graphics card so will be a bit underpowered for use as a gaming computer. We don't know what games are coming to it, when it's launching or how much it will cost beyond a vague target of $250.

But still, a new Atari console is big news and it's nice to have them back in the industry. Good luck to 'em, I say, I hope they can carve out a decent niche for themselves.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Matt_B

Re: Atari VCS

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:50 am

I suspect it's not garnering much interest because it's a bit of a non-story. Atari have only so far produced a non-functional mock up and that's little to add to their previous reveal.

Elsewhere it's been reported that it'll be based on the AMD A10-9700, or possibly some custom variant of it.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3265063 ... eview.html

That's an OK chip for an HTPC, but the gaming performance is mediocre and little better than the now venerable A10-5800K that I built my current HTPC with five years ago. As the article mentions, there's a new range of APUs called Raven Ridge just out that have far better performance off the shelf, and the finished machine would get a big bump to its gaming credentials if it were to include one of them instead. However, it'd still need to get beyond the vapourware stage in the first place, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:03 am

I want to like it, and certainly keeping an eye on it. But at this stage there's just not enough information on price and titles to make any sort of assessment.

I like the design, I think it looks cool! That's all I can say atm :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:14 am

kiwimike wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:03 am
I want to like it, and certainly keeping an eye on it. But at this stage there's just not enough information on price and titles to make any sort of assessment.

I like the design, I think it looks cool! That's all I can say atm :)
Pretty much this

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 am

Yeah, the case looks nice. Maybe they could just sell that by itself, so you could put something like a Raspberry Pi or a NUC in it?

So far as price and games go there's a bit more info here, but don't get too excited:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/26/atar ... e-console/

Basically, US$249 is the target price and Atari's published games like Tempest 4000 and Rollercoaster Tycoon will probably be on it.

As ever though, I'd take it all with a pinch of salt until they're capable of demonstrating working hardware.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:57 pm

I've just realised I should have said 1993 above, as 1996 was the year the Jag was discontinued, not launched.

I guess after the Coleco Chameleon people are wary but this seems on the face of it to be a more professional proposition.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:09 pm

250 dollars for an AMD Linux machine running a few emulators?

At that price point I'd want a lot more.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:02 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:09 pm
250 dollars for an AMD Linux machine running a few emulators?

At that price point I'd want a lot more.
Yep, me too, definitely. They need to make it considerably cheaper or add a LOT more to make it enticing.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 am

If it had something like the Virtual Console on Nintendo with all the old Atari back catalogue from every machine available as well as new games that would make it much better.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:49 am

Big Shoes wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 am
If it had something like the Virtual Console on Nintendo with all the old Atari back catalogue from every machine available as well as new games that would make it much better.
They have certainly suggested it will, without outright confirming it.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:25 am

I'd be interested in new games or even updates of old ideas. I can't say there are many old Atari games I'm dying to play though (I really like the 2600 version of Missile Command but I have that on the Flashback collection).

It's a shame these retro machines never include a light-gun - I'd be interested in some nice arcadey shooting games.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 am

The Laird wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:49 am
Big Shoes wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 am
They have certainly suggested it will, without outright confirming it.
That is something I'm waiting to hear- the ability to have all Atari history available on one machine, with updated classics like tempest, and new games. Yes, that makes it interesting.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:31 am

I read this interview and was turned off by it.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/22 ... empty_box/
But I will admit I know little about how legit that website is, I was just giving a link to check it out.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:33 am

JamesC wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:25 am
I'd be interested in new games or even updates of old ideas. I can't say there are many old Atari games I'm dying to play though (I really like the 2600 version of Missile Command but I have that on the Flashback collection).

It's a shame these retro machines never include a light-gun - I'd be interested in some nice arcadey shooting games.
The problem with light guns is that they won't work with modern TVs. Instead of having a scanning beam they update the entire screen in one go, making it impossible to sense the position.

It's possible to recreate the feel of light guns somewhat by tracking with an infra-red camera, but that's not a technology that's easy to integrate with plug and play devices, so you'll probably have to wait a while before anyone does it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:41 am

250 bucks? I'll pass on this one, if thats the case.