PlayStation game banned

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809
Posts: 18735
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by psj3809 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Dont worry, sorry if my post seemed aggressive. Yet again one of those times where when its just 'text' on a forum you dont always know the tone or that.

Yeah i'm not keen on that style but i havent got any placards in my house ready to march on Downing street about it or that ! Honestly dont worry one bit. Now if you said the Amstrad was better than the Speccy !!! There'll be trouble ;)

Saying that I always find it interesting, think you said you were 16 and I presume you play on retro machines or try retro games. As so many of these machines were around before you were even born what are your thoughts on them ? Can you get away from the more 'simple' graphics and sounds etc ? Enjoy the gameplay etc ?

User avatar
gunbladelad
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:31 pm

You just know that the ban will result in massive demand for the game - just like it did with Manhunt 2 - Nothing guarantees inflated prices and demand than a ban on a game :lol:

Seriously though - I have to wonder how this kind of game gets developed without someone stopping and saying "Hang on, are we going too far with this...?"
Where logic won't work, I will

User avatar
JamesC
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:51 pm
Location: Norwich

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by JamesC » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 pm

gunbladelad wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:31 pm
You just know that the ban will result in massive demand for the game - just like it did with Manhunt 2 - Nothing guarantees inflated prices and demand than a ban on a game :lol:

Seriously though - I have to wonder how this kind of game gets developed without someone stopping and saying "Hang on, are we going too far with this...?"
Not sure about this. You may be right but vioence and gore will always appeal to teenage boys - creating an inflated demand. I'm not sure a game banned due to scenes of child molestation will have the same appeal!

User avatar
NeppyDreamy
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:56 am
Location: England

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:50 pm

@psj3809 The Speccy was AMAZING for most people over here, I never had a home computer from the time even though I live in the UK and it was really prominent here - my dad, unlike most people, preferred consoles. (Because loading times were better than cassete tapes, I assume).

Well, my thoughts on retro games are that they definitely need to be preserved, and I even consider things like the PS2 and J2ME phones as retro because they reflect a time that just doesn't exist mainstream now, though in the PS2's case, I feel that console generation was the last that wasn't a scam (think DLC, in-game purchases, mobile app influxes, etc.) - I have a SNES (first console I ever played), PSX, PS2 and a GBA - with some GB, GBC and GBA games - and have played some other systems via emulation ^^ And I heard about a Sony person disliked backwards compatibility because the graphics are old when reading the PS2-Home.com forums. I feel like laughing in said person's face, seriously, good graphics !== good game, look at Pro Evo (probably not the best example, but one that could be attributed even now to an extent), they were like 3 years behind FIFA in terms of graphics back in the PS2 era and they came out on top because of the gameplay.

I also feel retro Nintendo is miles ahead of modern Nintendo, I don't really like Nintendo products since about 2004-2005, that's around the time the company decided to pander to casuals and became irrelevant to most teenagers and even kids with the current mobile market (besides a few select people, most of which end up ridiculed by the so-called 'hardcore teenage males' for being 'immature' based on their game preferences). I refuse to buy a Switch because I feel it is a gimmick at the moment and horribly overpriced though it does have a good power to size ratio I suppose.

Oh, and another thing, retro games' audio is so much better to me. The developers had to make the most of what they had and produced some of the most amazing sounds ever, which they don't have to now :( That said there is still great game music about. I also like synthpop music, I literally listened to one song in that genre (Mindstate by Danielle Johnson/Danz/Computer Magic) for about 13 hours once, all through the night until 10 in the morning, and that genre seems quite close to retro game music in a way.

I think that's enough talk though, maybe not all of it made sense, but it's nice to see varying ages' opinions on what exactly is retro. Even though I am born in an era of PS3/360/Wii being the sorta thing typically been playing around the age of 8-14 I'd never consider them retro as they are the start of what gaming has become.

psj3809
Posts: 18735
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by psj3809 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:01 pm

Yeah thats great to hear. I live near Arcade Club (Bury) and i love seeing the younger generation really embrace those games, they seem to love them.

On forums you sometimes see some younger player moan about how crappy the graphics or sound were, but its good when people actually give these games a chance. Granted not everyone will love the old skool graphics etc but to me gameplay doesnt age and thats key. Saying that so many older games are very very difficult, whereas now kids seem to complete them in a few days and then just exchange them. Back then some games were so hard (Knight Lore or Jet Set Willy) the thrill was just to walk around finding new rooms ! Crazy !

For me (in my 40's !) its amazing that i can download emulators and games which i used to play and have them in the palm of my hand on some gadget or via my TV on some Raspberry Pi device.Total dream to a younger me in the 80's. I love mobile gaming on my iphone, yeah of course consoles etc are better but for me its just more convienient (Have two young kids so getting on the TV is difficult or the wife watches crap later !) so a mobiles great.

I'm not a huge fan of modern Nintendo but for me its great to see them still popular as anything. Even Sega re-releasing mobile versions of their games to me is good to see. I wouldnt buy a Switch but i'm surprised how well its done, hats off to Nintendo really

User avatar
NeppyDreamy
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:56 am
Location: England

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:07 pm

I live in east Kent. Specifically, Margate. ^-^

I remember buying a PSP-3003 specifically for retro gaming, an excellent little machine for that purpose! Unfortunately I dropped it down the stairs... :(

Yea, I wouldn't buy a switch but I'm glad it's showing kinda the right direction for the company somewhat.

(and this deserves it own thread but I need to go soon, I'll probably be back Monday ^^)

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26622
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Art is never wrong. Used in this way, it can broach difficult subjects.

Making games with difficult subjects can be altogether different, but I'm on the fence with banning this. It's got us talking about the matter, how it's presented etc.

Don't have time for a full post now, but just wanted to raise that I don't agree with banning the art style, or the subject matter, as a whole. It isn't something to be taken too lightly though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Bluce_Ree
Posts: 1059
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:50 am

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:57 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:42 am

That's rather unfair on the Japanese as this sort of material, while legal and tolerated there, sells to a very niche audience and the same goes for most of the other notoriously weird stuff. Anyone with first hand experience can tell you that the vast majority of people in the country are squeaky clean conformists to the extreme.

I'm also loathe to see any game banned or censored, but while we've got a rating system that just lumps all games with a bit of smut and gore into the same 18+ category rather than having a special "adults only, we really mean it, if you so much as show this to a minor you're doing jail time" category for games like this, it's going to keep happening.
Is it niche there? All I know is that moments of weirdness show up in Japanese games all the time. That suggests that it's a bit more mainstream than you are saying. It's often enough to suggest that something is wrong over there. Not saying they are all diddling kids or anything but I wouldn't want any of them babysitting mine either. Not that I've got any but you know what I mean.
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18735
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:06 am

Same here, just a different type of culture over there. Like you say i wouldnt want them babysitting my kids or that, in my day you would find a dodgy mag in some woods with some naked pictures inside (of mature women !). Seeing a comic with these scantily clad kids in, no no no no !

They'll be having bars next with young girls dressed up as schoolgirls all over the place chatting up old businessmen next in japan, what they already have that ? ! ;)

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5245
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 am

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:06 am
Same here, just a different type of culture over there. Like you say i wouldnt want them babysitting my kids or that, in my day you would find a dodgy mag in some woods with some naked pictures inside (of mature women !). Seeing a comic with these scantily clad kids in, no no no no !

They'll be having bars next with young girls dressed up as schoolgirls all over the place chatting up old businessmen next in japan, what they already have that ? ! ;)
Yeah, but as I said it's not really like that. Just because these things exist in Japan doesn't mean that everyone there is into them, and I'm sure you wouldn't like it if the culture of the English speaking world was judged entirely by its most extreme pr0n, because that's basically what you're doing here. If there's one big cultural difference between them and us, it's that they're really good at spotting the difference between cartoons and reality which is something that Western censors really seem to struggle with at times.

For what it's worth Japan has one of the lowest rates of sex crimes against children in the world, so you're pretty safe with them as baby sitters.

User avatar
Bluce_Ree
Posts: 1059
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:50 am

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue May 01, 2018 5:46 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 am


Yeah, but as I said it's not really like that. Just because these things exist in Japan doesn't mean that everyone there is into them, and I'm sure you wouldn't like it if the culture of the English speaking world was judged entirely by its most extreme pr0n, because that's basically what you're doing here.
Not exactly. It's different because when you're playing, say, a random English shoot 'em up or hack and slasher there won't be nods towards p0rn (extreme or otherwise) in there. But you'll see weird stuff in Japanese games where some young character is having a bath or some weirdness. It happens a bit too often for it to just be a niche thing.
Image

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5245
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:46 pm
Matt_B wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 am


Yeah, but as I said it's not really like that. Just because these things exist in Japan doesn't mean that everyone there is into them, and I'm sure you wouldn't like it if the culture of the English speaking world was judged entirely by its most extreme pr0n, because that's basically what you're doing here.
Not exactly. It's different because when you're playing, say, a random English shoot 'em up or hack and slasher there won't be nods towards p0rn (extreme or otherwise) in there. But you'll see weird stuff in Japanese games where some young character is having a bath or some weirdness. It happens a bit too often for it to just be a niche thing.
If you're referring to what's known as "fan service" I can agree that there's a lot of it about. However, that's generally pretty tame stuff and I think a distinction can be made between having scenes with scantily clad characters and games that do things that are overtly sexual like, as in this case, have elements of the gameplay that involve groping minors. There really isn't a lot of the latter at all, and the major publishers rarely have anything to do with what there is.

But yes, Western developers generally do their best to make female characters look over the age of 18 before dressing them all in bikinis that look like they're made of tissue paper. As such, if you want to find sexualized images of children in Western media you've generally got to look at television, pop music and magazines instead.

Marasai
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 8:57 am
Location: Basilisk tamer

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by Marasai » Sat May 19, 2018 9:54 am

These sort of games have a niche audience who won't give a stuff about it being banned. They already have a lot of experience importing games, downloading Japanese media and have communities based around this stuff where they share it. Ecchi games have been around since the 80s and never left their little niche community because the gameplay in them is so lack luster. The closest they have come to the mainstream is that now many of them get released on Steam with minor censorship that fans patch back in within hours of release. There's even educational eechi games at this point where they will teach you how Tokyo functions for tourism purposes while 2 sisters left home alone will flaunt themselves for your benefit.

It's not my kind of thing but I also see it as being another twonk being a twonk in the halls of power. The people playing these games are social outcasts obsessed with anime and using it as a primary part of their life style. They're not going to suddenly turn into rapists because they saw some anime boobs, frankly they've seen more anime boobs than humanity has numbers for at this point. They've seen more sketchy fetishes and gore than you can possibly imagine and there's nothing in any of these games that are going to come close to it. The age range of the girls isn't important, it's anime where every girl who looks 8 years old is actually a 25,000 year old demon in the plot. It's just the way anime goes and if you spend any time around anime communities you just get used to that sort of stuff, it's part and parcel of the fanbase. Even if you go into specialist communities you will still find them often have a dedicated porn channel or will discuss and share adult anime images. It's basically background noise to any one with any time invested in anime no matter what sub genre of it you like.

Mortal Kombat never made me punch someone in the balls then rip their head off as a kid and these games aren't turning people into kiddy fiddlers either. It's simply not how things work no matter what excuses they try to use for it this time. It's even more funny with this community because their fanbase tends to dislike real women more than almost anything else in life. They regularly joke that 2D is superior to 3D, pointing out that 2D women are always perfect, where as real women have social traits they find unappealing and have bodily functions which require maintenance they won't wish to deal with. They're about as dangerous as stamp collectors and no where near as likely to leave their home. If you were seriously concerned about them then your best avenue would be to feed them anime by the bucket load instead of trying to prevent them from getting any of it. They would just continue to live in their rooms watching it, playing anime games and waiting for their own death. It's what they do now any way.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests