PlayStation game banned

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809

PlayStation game banned

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43414617

Must admit I can stand that Japanese art style where it’s young school girls with hardly anything on. Bizarre

Don’t think the game will corrupt people but seen a few documentaries about that art style and some of the covers of these comics are freaky. Strange people like it

ALK

Re: PlayStation game banned

Post by ALK » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Interesting how after so many ecchi anime style games we've seen released, only now 1 gets the banned treatment.

I believe also the company translating this game is a UK based company, so that's probably a big set back for them.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:04 am

Distributor PQube aka Blaze, the same company behind the GameGadget fiasco, utterly untrustworthy.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

BarbaricAvatar

Post by BarbaricAvatar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:31 am

Too little too late IMO. There are WAY too many titles out there that have been doing this for years, this is just one game and it's probably not even the worst offender, the whole Anime art style has been sexualising young characters for decades.
No, i'm not angry. That's just how i write.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 pm

BarbaricAvatar wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:31 am
Too little too late IMO. There are WAY too many titles out there that have been doing this for years, this is just one game and it's probably not even the worst offender, the whole Anime art style has been sexualising young characters for decades.
This.

The Japanese have a baffling obsession with this nonsense. I don’t want to say ‘nation of wrong uns’ but they do seem to be a tad Sav.

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:48 am

Um, I like that kinda style, but it wouldn't corrupt my mind to the extent I want to see something like that for a real life person, that would be completely wrong. I'm fine with fictional ecchi/whatever but if it was strongly based on or was real life, I'd be against it.

Maybe it's just me being stupid, I honestly don't know, or the fact I'm a rather weird 16 year old... you can disagree/flame all you want at me for my rather controversial opinion/views/sexual urges/whatever

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:42 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 pm
BarbaricAvatar wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:31 am
This.

The Japanese have a baffling obsession with this nonsense. I don’t want to say ‘nation of wrong uns’ but they do seem to be a tad Sav.
That's rather unfair on the Japanese as this sort of material, while legal and tolerated there, sells to a very niche audience and the same goes for most of the other notoriously weird stuff. Anyone with first hand experience can tell you that the vast majority of people in the country are squeaky clean conformists to the extreme.

I'm also loathe to see any game banned or censored, but while we've got a rating system that just lumps all games with a bit of smut and gore into the same 18+ category rather than having a special "adults only, we really mean it, if you so much as show this to a minor you're doing jail time" category for games like this, it's going to keep happening.

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:46 am

Yeah, censorship is not good.
Also you're right, this sorta stuff reflects the niche side of their culture, I guess ^^

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:14 am

I'm not a huge fan of censorship in general but this game has been banned because it's been deemed likely to cause harm.
I haven't played it but if the article is accurate and gameplay indeed involves the sexualisation of children and particularly if these two descriptions are true:

Many of these challenges and mini-games had sexual themes, said the VSC, involving players "touching" and "arousing" the characters and removing their clothes.

The characters are described as "young girls" and their voices and appearance reinforce this impression, said the VSC. One, referred to as a "first year", is depicted holding a teddy bear.

then I completely support the ban. This stuff shouldn't become normalised in our culture and, to be honest, if the Japanese don't want to be tarred with the 'child perv' brush they should probably think about clamping down on it themselves.

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:43 am

Right, I didn't realise it was as bad as that :/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:49 am

NeppyDreamy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:48 am
Um, I like that kinda style, but it wouldn't corrupt my mind to the extent I want to see something like that for a real life person, that would be completely wrong. I'm fine with fictional ecchi/whatever but if it was strongly based on or was real life, I'd be against it.

Maybe it's just me being stupid, I honestly don't know, or the fact I'm a rather weird 16 year old... you can disagree/flame all you want at me for my rather controversial opinion/views/sexual urges/whatever
I hated that type of style before and even more so now that i have kids. Just find that anime style or whatever it is just creepy, just wouldnt want to see any sexualised pictures of younger children at all, yeah its in 'comic' form but still totally wrong. Also think the people who enjoy that style have a screw loose as well, drawings of young kids in underwear or worse etc ? Just wrong

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:57 am

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:49 am
NeppyDreamy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:48 am

I hated that type of style before and even more so now that i have kids. Just find that anime style or whatever it is just creepy, just wouldnt want to see any sexualised pictures of younger children at all, yeah its in 'comic' form but still totally wrong. Also think the people who enjoy that style have a screw loose as well, drawings of young kids in underwear or worse etc ? Just wrong
That's pretty much how I feel about the issue. I don't think it matters if the drawings or graphics are 'cartoony' or not, it's about what the pictures represnt. Even if they were stick figures, if they still represent children presented for the sexual gratification/titilation/amusement of adults then it's wrong. Even without pictures at all and explored in a serious and intelectual way, the theme is pretty close to the bone - which is why Lolitta is still controversial 75 years after it was written.

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:12 pm

i suppose... i'm just really weird and perverted :(
maybe this isn't the right forum for me tbh. i'm kinda too young to understand stuff.

though i was worried a while ago that i could have been something a threat, though i realised i did have the decency not to act on stuff like that should it arise, so idk

but it's still wrong regardless, so I might as well be outta here before I cause a big issue just by existing in this form

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Dont worry, not saying i'm right. All got different views.

Just to me personally that sort of anime/graphic style just seems very wrong. But dont worry ! I'm not sat here fuming or writing to the Daily mail about this 'filth' etc etc !

Good on you for being active on the forums, dont worry about it and whatever you do dont leave.

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Yeah, I suppose. :P I know nothing was intentionally meant to harm or flame ^^ I just overreact sometimes...