“No Man’s Sky” vistas rendered in HAM mode on the Amiga 1000

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

blakespot

“No Man’s Sky” vistas rendered in HAM mode on the Amiga 1000

Post by blakespot » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:49 pm

I've used the modern Java app ham_converter to perform an optimized conversion of a few select photos I've taken in my No Man's Sky journey (PC, 2560x1440, 24-bit originals) to Amiga HAM-mode (HAM6) IFF files and am displaying them on my Amiga 1000's CRT. The results surprised me. The images are presented in a slideshow video of my Amiga 1000 setup. A zip of the resultant .IFF files is linked.

This was a fun one to put together.

http://www.bytecellar.com/2018/03/14/a- ... miga-1000/

bp
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

outdated_gamer

Re: “No Man’s Sky” vistas rendered in HAM mode on the Amiga 1000

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:57 pm

NMS on an Amiga is an interesting idea. I believe some form of fast voxel engine could have been made for the Amiga so the concept certainly is doable. Otherwise, imagine a Elite II with NMS themes.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:46 am

Nice pics.

I'm not too surprised at the quality either; HAM was regarded as pretty close to photo-realistic for its time and enabled some superb demos for the machine. The ability to compute an optimal layout on new hardware is only going to make it look better too.

You could do similar things with the Atari ST using the Spectrum 512/4K software-driven mode, although it hogged the CPU. Here's one I prepared just now:

Speaking of Spectrums, here's the best I could manage on one of the ZX variety. It's not quite up there with the others, obviously, but at least it's recognizable:

So far as running NMS on an Amiga goes, I'd think that Frontier is about as close as you're going to get. Modelling an enormous universe full of stars and planets is computationally far simpler than giving them complex terrain and an assortment of plants and wildlife, and modern PCs are thousands of times more powerful than even the best machines of the 80s.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:15 am

Rescue on Fractalus was possible on the 8 bits, so you could manage something similar on an Amiga/ST. It might not be as interesting and varied as NMS, but using the existing planetary/system data as a seed for a fractal planet surface could work.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:46 am
Nice pics.

I'm not too surprised at the quality either; HAM was regarded as pretty close to photo-realistic for its time and enabled some superb demos for the machine. The ability to compute an optimal layout on new hardware is only going to make it look better too.

You could do similar things with the Atari ST using the Spectrum 512/4K software-driven mode, although it hogged the CPU. Here's one I prepared just now:

Speaking of Spectrums, here's the best I could manage on one of the ZX variety. It's not quite up there with the others, obviously, but at least it's recognizable:

So far as running NMS on an Amiga goes, I'd think that Frontier is about as close as you're going to get. Modelling an enormous universe full of stars and planets is computationally far simpler than giving them complex terrain and an assortment of plants and wildlife, and modern PCs are thousands of times more powerful than even the best machines of the 80s.
This is superb. I know Spectrum 512. I had a 520ST when it arrived. I'd love it if you would post this in comments on the blog post. I'm sure readers would be quite interested. Any case, thanks.
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:06 pm

Glad you liked it. I've re-posted it to your blog as well.

If you're interested in the software I used, the Atari ST image was created on Retro Image Tool, located here:

http://tool.anides.de/test/

And the ZX Spectrum image was done with BMP2SCR, which you can find here:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/utilities.html

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 am

That ST image is great! And thanks for linking that tool, I might have to have a play around with that!

Clockwork Hippo

Post by Clockwork Hippo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Love the video.

The humble machines of my youth never fail to impress me. HAM mode was awe inspiring at the time the Amiga 1000 was launched. I used to drool over the Amiga every time I saw one in a shop window. My meagre part time wage at the time crept slowly towards the amount needed for one of these beasts and just as I could see light at the end of my savings tunnel. Commodore launched the Amiga 500. I bought one there and then and I can remember carrying it home and a couple of kids saying "Wow... Look an Amiga 500!"

Kudos to the guy that done the Atari ST and Speccy Pics. Both impressive feats also.
Clockwork Hippo Games. Bringing back the challenge!
Ex C64 pixel artist developing retro games for hard core gamers.
Check out my Lunar Lander inspired game demo here: https://www.scirra.com/arcade/action-ga ... nder-27270
No download necessary!