Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24356
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by DPrinny » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:40 am

shiftytigger wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm
Perhaps not only including MD Streets of Rage but the MS versions too , organised in a library style so you can pick all franchise associated games in order. Having the choice to pick through all Sonic games from all formats for example - especially as they were markedly different enough.

Or perhaps arcade greatest hits style compilations - Power Drift on a big screen would be pretty enticing to name just one.
Sega seem to forget the Master system exists also in most cases forget the Gamegear was a thing as well

English Invader
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by English Invader » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:43 am

DPrinny wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:40 am
Sega seem to forget the Master system exists also in most cases forget the Gamegear was a thing as well
To give them credit, Golden Axe Warrior and the original Phantasy Star are included as unlockables in the PS3/360 Ultimate Collection. They also included the Game Gear Sonic games on the Sonic Mega Collection Plus for PS2/XBox and PC (Sonic Labyrinth in particular is quite pricey to buy as an original).

ALK
Posts: 2950
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by ALK » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:55 am

And they did at least try with both a SMS selection on Wii Virtual Console and a GG selection on 3DS Virtual Console, but I guess they just stopped those when they saw they did not sell so well.

Hell, on 3DS you can even buy Home Themes dedicated to each SEGA system. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
SpecChum81
Posts: 742
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:11 am
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:11 pm

The more Mega Drive the better I say.

As well as all the retro goodness for those of us that were there at the time, I hope that 'Da Yoof' also play and fall in love with these games.

HOWEVER, this collection is really no different to any of the others that have been released, and there are some fantastic games missing.

Those brilliant EA games for a start.

Also, with Emulation and having most of these on original carts is there a need to buy/download them this time around?

I wonder...

But, as I said the More Mega Drive the better :D 8) :D
Press Play On Tape

User avatar
batman877
Posts: 1577
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:53 am
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by batman877 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 am

SpecChum81 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:11 pm
But, as I said the More Mega Drive the better :D 8) :D
Completely agree! I have every iteration of these compilations and I'm still hungry for more. This new release seems to have more bells and whistles than ever before, and with a new trophy/achievement list, count me in! :D
Image

User avatar
Starlight
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by Starlight » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:25 am

Pretty surprised none of the Thunder Force games are on it nor Herzog Zwei given SEGA now owns those.

Same for Monster World 4 as it was translated.

Not a poor list of course but I wish they added more variety. (I would love if Rent a Hero was on there)

I think the list would also be great if they could get Third Parties on it too like Nintendo does with their Mini Collection. (Imagine Chiki Chiki Boys, Rocket Knight Adventures and the Valis games on it too!?!)
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:22 am

This would actually be a decent buy for me since the last time I bought a Mega Drive compilation was the PS2/PSP versions so I missed out on all the extra games added into the PS3/360 edition.

On the other hand, I can't help but agree that the same stuff is just being dragged out over and over. I know poor sales and much more porting work would get in the way but I'd much rather see some desirable Saturn stuff or 90's Sega arcade stuff re-released. That's not mentioning all of the other random things that never see the light of day such as AB Cop, Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder or Turbo Outrun.

And of course, this compilation will come with the butchered PAL Streets of Rage III with no option to switch to the Jap version like you can with the 3DS release of SoR II.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
shiftytigger
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am
Location: East London

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:22 am
This would actually be a decent buy for me since the last time I bought a Mega Drive compilation was the PS2/PSP versions so I missed out on all the extra games added into the PS3/360 edition.

On the other hand, I can't help but agree that the same stuff is just being dragged out over and over. I know poor sales and much more porting work would get in the way but I'd much rather see some desirable Saturn stuff or 90's Sega arcade stuff re-released. That's not mentioning all of the other random things that never see the light of day such as AB Cop, Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder or Turbo Outrun.

And of course, this compilation will come with the butchered PAL Streets of Rage III with no option to switch to the Jap version like you can with the 3DS release of SoR II.
AB Cop could surely have been 3Ds fodder? It does strike me as odd that , yes the MD was successful , but Sega have such a rich heritage , library and diversity. I would love to see Enduro Racer in its arcade 3ds form. I think multi format branching would be good so we can try versions from different Sega formats.
Image

ALK
Posts: 2950
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by ALK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Interestingly, the PS4 version has been given a free PSVR update.

It allows you to play the games while sat in a 90s themed bedroom and viewing the games on a CRT TV. Kinda interesting.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
The Last Ginja
Posts: 1989
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:29 pm
Location: Currently Adventuring in Norwich

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:09 am

ALK wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:51 pm
Interestingly, the PS4 version has been given a free PSVR update.

It allows you to play the games while sat in a 90s themed bedroom and viewing the games on a CRT TV. Kinda interesting.

And it's down to £19.85 at Argos...I'm going to have to buy this aren't I.

EDIT:£16.49!

ALK
Posts: 2950
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by ALK » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:38 pm

Think the digital version's currently £15 or £16 if I remember correctly.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:32 am

Not sure why Sega don't utilise their past more than just the Mega Drive, and the odd substandard Dreamcast collection. They could have decent SMS, MD, Saturn and Dreamcast collections, with decent selections of each one. Then you can bring out a Condemned/Condemned 2 remaster, a really good Sega Arcade compilation set (or a couple of volumes of) a Monkey Ball Collection with bonus mini games, a Sonic collection, and so on. So much history, a goldmine if they did really good sets instead of Megadrive over and over.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5250
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:32 am

kiwimike wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:32 am
Not sure why Sega don't utilise their past more than just the Mega Drive, and the odd substandard Dreamcast collection. They could have decent SMS, MD, Saturn and Dreamcast collections, with decent selections of each one. Then you can bring out a Condemned/Condemned 2 remaster, a really good Sega Arcade compilation set (or a couple of volumes of) a Monkey Ball Collection with bonus mini games, a Sonic collection, and so on. So much history, a goldmine if they did really good sets instead of Megadrive over and over.
It's an old chestnut that's been discussed many times over, but I'd think that it comes down to the fact that the Megadrive sold far better than any of their other console systems, and was supported for far longer. As such, you've not only got three times as many people who've had the Megadrive in the past than any of the others, but that they tend to have fonder memories of it. That makes them much more likely to splash out for a dose of nostalgia than people who perhaps think that they bought a duffer when the supply of new games dried up rather quickly or it just failed to get ports of all the hit games that were coming out on other platforms at the time.

Also, these old games don't necessarily come for free. Some never received PEGI/ESRB ratings, may include elements licensed from third parties which need to be paid for, and new front ends and emulators - because they can't just bundle them with a free one - won't write themselves, so the margins might not be as good as you'd think. Meanwhile, the reasons that made the Megadrive compilations viable in the past still apply, so they'll continue to be revamped whenever there's a new generation of hardware out.

That's not to say that I wouldn't like to see them do more; it's just that they've got to work with commercial realities.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests