Most wanted unreleased games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Laird

Most wanted unreleased games?

Post by The Laird » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Unreleased games have always been something that I've been incredibly interested in. Over the years there have been loads of much anticipated titles that have fallen by the wayside for various reasons but what are the ones you really wanted that never made it?

One that has always bothered me is Pit-Fighter 2 for the Mega Drive. The original game is still one of my favourite coin-ops of all-time and so I couldn't wait for the sequel. It was supposed to be a Mega Drive exclusive and got some small previews in magazines of the time. It promised us that we would be able to play as any of the characters and developers Tengen would be adding more ones too. Not many screenshots were ever shown but I was very excited nonetheless. I still have no idea why it was never actually released.

paranoid marvin

Re: Most wanted unreleased games?

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:31 pm

The biggest one for me is 'Secret of Vulcan Fury'. Interplay had proven that they could release some cracking ST games, and this looked to be just about the best yet.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:33 pm

I'd say Mortal Kombat HD, the canned HD versions of the original MK trilogy. I still want that to happen, but sadly the fans who were making their own version got a C&D order.

I guess "Half-Life 3" could be named at this point too, as well as Human Head's Prey 2.

And Mario 64 HD, a HD remake of the Nintendo classic that just didn't come to full expression in the "64DS" version.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Mire Mare for me.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:02 pm

AceGrace wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:53 pm
Mire Mare for me.
It would just have been another isometric Filmation game imho. If it had been released back in the day, it would likely rank alongside Bubbler and Pentagram as another forgettable late-Ultimate game.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:56 pm

The Laird wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:21 pm
Unreleased games have always been something that I've been incredibly interested in. Over the years there have been loads of much anticipated titles that have fallen by the wayside for various reasons but what are the ones you really wanted that never made it?

One that has always bothered me is Pit-Fighter 2 for the Mega Drive. The original game is still one of my favourite coin-ops of all-time and so I couldn't wait for the sequel. It was supposed to be a Mega Drive exclusive and got some small previews in magazines of the time. It promised us that we would be able to play as any of the characters and developers Tengen would be adding more ones too. Not many screenshots were ever shown but I was very excited nonetheless. I still have no idea why it was never actually released.

Dont think I ever saw anything about that. I still enjoy a blast on Pitfighter MD quite regularly to this day and did sort of expect to see a scrolling fighter with the characters in , given how the genre seemed to be crowbarring anything in where it could.
The option to play as all characters would have been interesting.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Sonic X-Treme comes to mind. I was super excited about this when I was a kid. It was of course long before the Sonic series was as inconsistent as it now is.

The other one for me is Fez 2. I thought the original was excellent, really creative. I was excited to see what new ideas this one would bring.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:33 pm

shenmue 3 (yes I know we're getting it)
streets of rage 4 (fighting force sucks).
Dantes inferno 2
Star Wars: Battlefront 3
earthbound 64
duke nukem forever (vegas build)
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Is this only complete games? If not, then I'd have liked to see the missing Bounty Bob game where he was a firefighter.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:12 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:02 pm
Is this only complete games? If not, then I'd have liked to see the missing Bounty Bob game where he was a firefighter.
Scraper Caper - I wrote about that in RG :D

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:29 pm

That Dirty Harry game on the PS3 looked pretty good.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:51 pm

The original N64 Dinosaur Planet. That could of been a great finale to the console and push it to its limits but nope, put it on Gamecube and swap the new IP and characters with Starfox. I know the final game turned out meh, but still would have loved to see where the original concepts could have gone if they werent rewritten to fit into the Starfox universe....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:36 am

I suppose it's worth remembering that most of these games stay unreleased for good reason. Either they're unfinished, unreleasable, or just never got beyond the original concept. It's very rare for a finished and playable game to be just sat upon.

Bearing all that in mind, The Dreamland Chronicles: Freedom Ridge would be my pick. It was going to be the successor to the original UFO/X-Com games but was canned by the publisher at a fairly advanced stage, because they'd been taken over and the new owners had no interest in the project. It eventually saw a release of sorts as UFO: Aftermath but that was considerably re-worked from the original concept and crucially without the involvement of Julian Gollop; I've played it a bit but never thought it was quite the game that it should have been.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:13 am

Would liked to have played the version of resident evil 4 that was canned featuring Leon fighting the mini dolls and ghost from the painting.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:34 pm

City Heroes on the Megadrive finished but never released

Resident Evil 2 the original looks very different it’s in somebodys private collection.

That laser disc racing game by midway only working one I know of is in somebody’s collection and isn’t Emulated
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"