Movies that never got games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Movies that never got games

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:44 am

Yes I played VCS Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it was a terrific game, as were a lot of Howards games. He got so much censored for ET, yet it was miracle to get it chugged out so fast from one bloke with corporate suits breathing down his neck for a tight xmas deadline...and his other games were testimony to his skills and the game quality he generally produced :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:46 am

Ferris Buellers day off the game? :)

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 am

MacGyver would have made a great point and click adventure game.
Think about it, in the tv series MacGyver solves problems by combining things, just like you tend to do in point and click adventure games.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:29 am

kiwimike wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:46 am
Ferris Buellers day off the game? :)
I thought about that, but I was trying to figure out how it would work. I guess some sort of arcade adventure where you have to complete set tasks then get home before your parents.
Gibberish Driftwood wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 am
MacGyver would have made a great point and click adventure game.
Think about it, in the tv series MacGyver solves problems by combining things, just like you tend to do in point and click adventure games.
Yes! It's definitely a surprise there wasn't a MacGyver game. Seems pretty obvious when you think about it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:09 am

Perhaps a game based on the Uwe Boll film "Rampage" (no, nothing to do with giant lizards and apes)....playing as Bill Williamson. That game would struggle to get past censorship at any point in history! :twisted:

Young, disenfranchised white american male.....stockpiles weapons, armour, bombs etc, then carries out terrorist attacks throughout his town in some sort of wacky political statement about population control, but attempting to frame the whole thing on his dead friend so he can flee (till the sequel!) Explosions, gunning down innocent civilians, petty vindictive revenge sessions on baristas, and perhaps even a "light-hearted" moment in a Bingo Hall full of elderly people where you get bonus points for not pulling the trigger.

Uwe Boll has made a (crappy) career out of exploiting video game names to make films (although oddly Rampage is a passable effort, and one of his few films not connected to any videogame), so its time he gave back to the videogame industry and let someone create a game out of it. Or perhaps not....

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Titan A.E. - really though this could have made for a good tie in action game.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Famously the Dark Knight video game was canned, making it the first Batman movie since the first one in 1966 not to receive a video game translation. Though Arkham Asylum came out around this time so any movie tie-in would probably have struggled anyway.

None of the Batman movies since then have had a game either, I guess because between Arkham, Injustice, Telltale and Lego Batman there are quite enough decent Batman games around already.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:53 am

Not necessarily a movie (there's comics too), but I think we never saw a good Superman game. Jurassic Park also seems to be lacking good games - I liked the MD one but it wasn't exactly brilliant. There's some interesting dino survival sims for PC though, "Saurian", "The Isle", etc.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:09 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:53 am
Not necessarily a movie (there's comics too), but I think we never saw a good Superman game. Jurassic Park also seems to be lacking good games - I liked the MD one but it wasn't exactly brilliant. There's some interesting dino survival sims for PC though, "Saurian", "The Isle", etc.
I think the best Superman game by far was the Taito arcade game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0l6f3bmiGU

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 am

Nothing directly based on Conan the Barbarian.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:13 pm

There haven't been enough games based on martial arts films - probably because the films aren't high-budget enough to grab the attention of developers?
Enter the Dragon would make a fantastic game (not necessarily as a 1 on 1 fighter either). It even has made to measure 'bosses'.
I'd also like to see games based on Ip Man or Ong Bak. Both have some really interesting locations and envionments as well as weapons/skills which could be translated to 'levelling-up' characters.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:21 pm

lavalyte wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 am
There was going to be a Jaguar game based on Conan The Barbarian, a scrolling beat 'em up no less. You can see it in this video if you skip to 2:52 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgBRt1Or0cY

I was gutted when it never got released :(

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:46 pm

JamesC wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:13 pm
There haven't been enough games based on martial arts films - probably because the films aren't high-budget enough to grab the attention of developers?
Enter the Dragon would make a fantastic game (not necessarily as a 1 on 1 fighter either). It even has made to measure 'bosses'.
I'd also like to see games based on Ip Man or Ong Bak. Both have some really interesting locations and envionments as well as weapons/skills which could be translated to 'levelling-up' characters.
yeah, good call. Or even Game Of Death, perfect for a video game. Although I'd say Karateka way likely based on that, but how much superior a game would it be if done nowadays!

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:07 am

The Laird wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:21 pm
lavalyte wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 am
There was going to be a Jaguar game based on Conan The Barbarian, a scrolling beat 'em up no less. You can see it in this video if you skip to 2:52 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgBRt1Or0cY

I was gutted when it never got released :(
Looks very Golden Axe-ish. Interesting.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 am

The Laird wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:29 am
I thought about that, but I was trying to figure out how it would work. I guess some sort of arcade adventure where you have to complete set tasks then get home before your parents.
Which would suck and wouldn't even begin to do justice to the film. If that's the best they could come up with, I'm glad they left it alone.

There are other Matthew Broderick films that are more suitable for video games like Project X or Ladyhawke. Both are action adventures; the first is about a group of guinea pig gorillas on a USAF base and the second is set in medieval France.