Duke Nukem Forever 2001 build found, nearly completed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Duke Nukem Forever 2001 build found, nearly completed

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Well here's some interesting news for Duke Nukem fans - apparently the famous DNF 2001 build which was all the rage on E3 2001 was found and surprisingly close to being completed:

https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/the- ... -elements/

For those who haven't seen that trailer or forgot how it looked like, here's a vid showing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM

It might not look that impressive anymore but during that time it seemed like the most ambitious shooter in the making.

It's also worth mentioning that a mod inspired after this build was released for Duke Nukem 3D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXeJP6G38KQ

BarbaricAvatar

Re: Duke Nukem Forever 2001 build found, nearly completed

Post by BarbaricAvatar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:44 am

I need this!
No, i'm not angry. That's just how i write.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:54 pm

this is the kind of fascinating news i like to read, non-released/older builds of games that were presumably forever lost but do exist somewhere, on someone's hard drive...

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 am

Amazing! Why was it canned - I haven't heard of this before, or if I did it was quite a while ago. Deserves to be covered in the magazine, if you ask me ^^

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:47 pm

Hopefully they'll actually release it some day. I would be fun to try it out.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 pm

NeppyDreamy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 am
Amazing! Why was it canned - I haven't heard of this before, or if I did it was quite a while ago. Deserves to be covered in the magazine, if you ask me ^^
The linked article suggests that it was canned because the levels weren't compatible with a new renderer they switched to the following year, so they started afresh by making new ones. That seems to have happened a few times during the project, as there were several cycles of adopting a new engine, developing it for a few years and then canning it because they wanted to work with something more current.

I'd think that the big problem was that they just don't seem to have been that interested in turning what they had into a finished game until a decade later when the money had run out and they needed to get something out the door quickly. That was when Gearbox got involved, and the rest is rather disappointing history.

Anyway, it seems doubtful if this will ever be released as Gearbox now own the licence and could presumably name their price for anyone who wanted to publish it. I'm also a bit dubious of the "90% complete" comment as it's often the case in software development that the last 10% is more like 90% of the work.

Marasai

Post by Marasai » Sat May 19, 2018 10:12 am

The problem was the guy in charge would see a new tech demo and want to insert it into Duke forever. He did this repeatedly so the project just stagnated over and over. There was a stage where only 2 people were working on it and for free just to try and get it finished. Gearbox stepped in, set up a questionable legal contract and then smashed together what they could to release the game. This in turn has left 3D realms utterly screwed out of the Duke IP and unable to afford the legal fees that would be required to wrestle it back from Gearbox.