Wii connection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ZXSabreman

Wii connection

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:43 am

Has anybody got any experience of the Hdmi adaptors sold on eBay for the Nintendo Wii, are they any good or would I be better off buying a Component cable. I know I can only get 480p out of it but I still want the best picture I can get, it's for emulators via the Homebrew Channel.
"Time fades even legend..."

Matt_B

Re: Wii connection

Post by Matt_B » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:34 pm

I think you'd be better off with the component cable as the best case with a converter would still be a picture that's no better than it and it's only really worth it if your TV has no component inputs free. Either way, the limiting factor is likely to be how good your TV is at upscaling the picture.

You could potentially do better using a Wii U, as most of the hacks will still work on it when running in Wii mode, and it will digitally upscale the picture for its own HDMI output. You'd need a bit of luck to snag a cheap second hand one though.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:16 am

Yeah, Mattb beat me to it. The Wiis optimum official setting is on EDTV mode via component cable, which is 480p - passable on modern tellys, although the smaller the TV the better.

The Wii U has a reasonable upscaler when in Wii mode (and you connect a wii with HDMI), but lower expectations as at 1080p, Wii games don't suddenly look like "next gen" 1080p games at a stroke, but I think they look a tiny bit better than how they look at 480p (although depends on the game. I found New Super Mario Bros a bit grainy at 1080p, compared with 480p, but Mario Galaxy DID look a bit sharper and cleaner overall). There are no miracle solutions though, and its best to go the official route, so either component for Wii, or get a Wii U with hdmi (but as Matt said, they are not going cheap...and if you have no interest in Wii U games, its not worth it).

Component sounds your best bet, as they're under a tenner and do a respectable job for your emulation needs.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:33 pm

So if i went down the Wii U route does the Homebrew Channel work ?
"Time fades even legend..."

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:09 pm

ZXSabreman wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:43 am
Has anybody got any experience of the Hdmi adaptors sold on eBay for the Nintendo Wii, are they any good or would I be better off buying a Component cable. I know I can only get 480p out of it but I still want the best picture I can get, it's for emulators via the Homebrew Channel.
I do, they are quite good, makes Wii games look great, a nice clear image

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:43 pm

ZXSabreman wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:33 pm
So if i went down the Wii U route does the Homebrew Channel work ?
Yes, but you have to enter the virtual Wii to run it.