What are your top 5 Doom-Like or Clone games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GarryG

What are your top 5 Doom-Like or Clone games?

Post by GarryG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:09 pm

No I don't mean FPS games, that came much later. Even the name 'First Person Shooter' wasn't coined when doom came out.
I mean games that were directly 'inspired' by doom, like Heretic, Star Wars Dark Forces, or Rise of the Triad.

My top 5 would be:
1) Hexen
2) Marathon
3) Heretic
4) Descent
5) Duke Nukem 3D
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

outdated_gamer

Re: What are your top 5 Doom-Like or Clone games?

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:12 pm

My fave "Doom clones" would be (in no order):

- Hexen
- Heretic
- Dark Forces
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Shadow Warrior

Although the term is a bit of a stretch if you ask me, for example you list Descent on your list but Descent already was a bit more than just a "Doom clone", as it was a full 3D spaceship maze shooter with free floating. Games like System Shock used to be called "Doom clone" too, but it's pretty clear to me that it was a bit different affair with a much bigger RPG and survival horror focus.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:06 am

I'll go with:

1. Ultima Underworld - Yeah, it's a Doom-like game that came before Doom, or even Wolfenstein. Work that one out. :D
2. Descent - There's a far more sophisticated engine at work, but the gameplay is very obviously influenced by Doom with its key quests, mazey levels and copious amounts of blasting.
3. Hexen - Unlike Heretic, which felt like Doom in a fantasy skin, this one really managed to achieve a different feel from the engine.
4. Dark Forces - Star Wars Doom just felt like heaven on a stick at the time.
5. Rise of the Triad - For a game that came out after Doom 2 but was still largely running the Wolfenstein engine it had to be doing something special, and they pulled off some amazing tricks to provide novel gameplay.

System Shock is basically the successor to the Ultima Underworld series. If it feels Doom-like it's probably far more down to the influence that those games had on Doom than the other way around.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 am

Dark Forces - Was just waiting for a star wars 'doom', loved it
Nam - Very basic Medal of Honor game, played this game to the end
Rise of the Triad - Bit wacky with the platforms but a good old skool game
Duke Nukem 3d - A classic
Heretic - Nice change from Doom

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:41 am

I'm not a massive FPS fan these days, but great to hear some of these old names being brought up! Companies were churning these out constantly in the mid 90s. Rise of the Triad is a great shout, it had bonkers weapons and hilarious violence for its time. Anyone remember Operation Bodycount? I had a demo disk of that game and was always fond of it but never went on to buy it. The other one was Exhumed on PS1 which I played off a magazine demo CD, and never bought the game until in 2014 on the Sega Saturn! A solid FPS though and pretty cool for its time, especially on consoles.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:09 pm

No mention of Zero Tolerance on MD yet? Always thought it was a surprisingly decent little game

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:22 pm

I'd make three more "honorary mentions":

- Witchaven (much like Hexen but with an even bigger emphasis on close range cold weapon combat; also the first game to run on the Build engine that later powered Duke Nukem 3D)
- The Terminator: Future Shock (this was a very progressive title for it's time, with vehicle usage, full polygon 3D graphics and lighting, mouse look, etc)
- Aliens vs Predator (originally released on the Atari Jaguar, then remaked for the PC in 1999, it just makes full sense to have such a game as a first-person shooter or "Doom clone"; there was also Alien Trilogy which I didn't play)