Your Ultimate Machine

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

Your Ultimate Machine

Post by ncf1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 am

If you were to build your Ultimate Gaming Machine, taking components from other systems and computers, what would it be composed of?

For example you could say, a machine with :
*Amiga graphics
*C64 sound
*XBOX 64 controller
*Apple II disk drive
*Vectrex screen
*Spectrum keyboard

and so on. What would your Ultimate Gaming Machine look like?

NorthWay

Re: Your Ultimate Machine

Post by NorthWay » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:34 am

ncf1 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 am
If you were to build your Ultimate Gaming Machine, taking components from other systems and computers, what would it be composed of?
Not a bad question, but a bit vaguely posed. Would it be a build as of today, in which you can emulate most anything with a powerful enough pc, or are we looking at a certain era or setting?
Let me try: The base is ofc dead easy, that is the AAA Amiga that nearly was, but went down with the mothership. (If disqualified then perhaps a Jaguar as base.)
I'd pair it with as much memory as possible without being called a cheater, and a HD floppy, CD drive and harddisk.
The keyboard I'd take from an HP 9000 700 workstation. The mouse I don't really know (excluding 3rd-party ones). The joystick would probably have to be something more modern like a PS2 one - something with more than 1 button as standard at least ("The Arcade Professional" is probably the best looking DB-9 based one). I'd also set up a good trackball as standard.
For sound I'd like an AMY chip plus the Apple IIGS Ensoniq chip. Oh, and a DSP with a 16bit DAC too; C= had an AT&T(?) 3210 prototype.
For the case I'd take the Amiga 1000 design and scale it up some.
I'd mate it all with a Wells-Gardner(sp?) coin-op spec monitor.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:01 am

Good question!

Rubber Speccy keyboard, N64 trident controller, cartridge loader, C64 SID soundchip, top end PC processor
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:33 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:34 am
ncf1 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 am
Not a bad question, but a bit vaguely posed. Would it be a build as of today, in which you can emulate most anything with a powerful enough pc, or are we looking at a certain era or setting?
Let me try: The base is ofc dead easy, that is the AAA Amiga that nearly was, but went down with the mothership. (If disqualified then perhaps a Jaguar as base.)
I'd pair it with as much memory as possible without being called a cheater, and a HD floppy, CD drive and harddisk.
The keyboard I'd take from an HP 9000 700 workstation. The mouse I don't really know (excluding 3rd-party ones). The joystick would probably have to be something more modern like a PS2 one - something with more than 1 button as standard at least ("The Arcade Professional" is probably the best looking DB-9 based one). I'd also set up a good trackball as standard.
For sound I'd like an AMY chip plus the Apple IIGS Ensoniq chip. Oh, and a DSP with a 16bit DAC too; C= had an AT&T(?) 3210 prototype.
For the case I'd take the Amiga 1000 design and scale it up some.
I'd mate it all with a Wells-Gardner(sp?) coin-op spec monitor.
any way you like ;) Your super duperest system.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:41 pm

Mine would have to be something like :

*Apple II Europlus keyboard : loved the feel of it and I don't think it has been bettered, the IIE was nice but a bit too springy, Europlus feel was perfect.
*Amiga monitor : I just loved the graphic reproduction on that monitor, just fantastic for games, always a treat to view whilst gaming.
*XBOX 360 wireless controller : the best joypad ever for mine.
*graphics : whatever is the latest update for PC, the latest and greatest for me.
*sound : same as above, I love the chiptunes and Amiga sound but cant go past the incredible sound achieved in modern PCs.
*mouse : if the system nees a mouse, I'll have the Logitech M280 wireless. Lasts an absolute age with a single battery, perfect feel in the hand.
*case : black Sniper case, interface and buttons up top, everything easy to use and install, very quiet fans.

i think that would do me just fine. :D

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:11 am

Don't wish to ruin the rules of your thread, but it would be also interesting to create this within one generation....thinking about the 5th generation, the N64 having aspects such as a CD-ROM (from the Saturn or PS1) and the 2D capabilities of the Saturn, the dual-shock PS1 controller and PS1 audio chip etc. Or a SNES with the Megadrive CPU in the 4th gen (although I guess the Neo Geo would probably have all the best bits!)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:11 am
Don't wish to ruin the rules of your thread, but it would be also interesting to create this within one generation....thinking about the 5th generation, the N64 having aspects such as a CD-ROM (from the Saturn or PS1) and the 2D capabilities of the Saturn, the dual-shock PS1 controller and PS1 audio chip etc. Or a SNES with the Megadrive CPU in the 4th gen (although I guess the Neo Geo would probably have all the best bits!)
i didn't think so far ahead :D but youre right, because its perhaps much too broad.

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:33 pm

PSP Form Factor with the Neo Geo Pocket Colours Clicky Analogue stick, three button Mega Drive layout with the Xbox 360 trigger shoulder buttons. There'd one button for Start/Select like the PS4 that doubles as a Home OS button (I always loved the concept of making use of fewer buttons).

A multi Sound Chip that takes from the Mega Drive's PSG/FM combo, the NES's Ricoh Chip and a seperate Redbook Audio Chip so it can be versatile yet can combine to make beautiful chiptunes.

Graphics wise it has to create amazing 2D graphics and modest but cool 3D capabilities (thinking between Vita and PSP quality), a beefed up Raspberry Pie with some custom mini processors could do the trick.

It'd emulate 8 bit and 16 bit games perfectly, and house a nice selection of features such as Screenshots and basic video recording (similar to the PS4 but a little more limited to be able to post gifs).

Finally it would have a standard mini SD card format that can support up to 126GBs.
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:55 pm

A top end PC with built in perfect and enhanced emulation and controller slots for past systems.

Infact it's strange MS doesn't add that to their Windows OS, I guess there are some legal issues at hand. But then again, we got 3rd party programs for that.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
The Neo-Geo was indeed the superior system, but it also came at a considerable price and lacked mainstream support.

SNES didn't have a better CPU due to cost-cutting reasons, they originally intended to have a 10 MHz 68000 in there but decided it would cost too much. And the same goes for the N64 too, the CD-ROM would have costed more and have longer loading times. The idea there was that they'd add the "64DD magnetic drive" to it later down the line, but we all saw how that turned out.

Anyhow, a top 90s PC sporting a Pentium CPU and a good 3D accelerator had the 5th gen consoles beat hands down in terms of graphics, but of course it also costed quite a lot and missed on some console exclusives (until they made functional emulators for them which was surprisingly soon - UltraHLE and Bleem! came out in early 99). The same thing was true in the 80s with the Commodore Amiga far surpassing the NES and Master System, but again missing out on some exclusives, so in the end you still needed all systems to play all the good games.

The best 80s system was otherwise the Sharp X68000, but at a price of 6000 dollars and availability only in Japan it wasn't exactly the go-to system for the masses.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:49 pm

Well I'm an arcade boy from day one so my ultimate machine is possible, I would love a MAME cabinet with all the bells and whistles. So any of thousands of arcade games with whatever controls you need, be it track ball, joystick, dual joystick, steering wheel or paddle :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:25 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:49 pm
Well I'm an arcade boy from day one so my ultimate machine is possible, I would love a MAME cabinet with all the bells and whistles. So any of thousands of arcade games with whatever controls you need, be it track ball, joystick, dual joystick, steering wheel or paddle :)
i reckon it'd have to be a dual-booth system; on your left the classic-looking arcade booth and semi attached on the right a hydraulic cab for the classics like Outrun, Space Harrier, etc. Now why isn't someone making something like this, right now?! :D

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:14 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 pm
Sephiroth81 wrote:
The Neo-Geo was indeed the superior system, but it also came at a considerable price and lacked mainstream support.

Plus the Neo Geo seemed to miss a few transparency, translucent and rotation tricks that the SNES had. I've always found it odd that the shadows in Neo Geo games often flicker....for a machine that cost several hundred quid!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:14 am
Plus the Neo Geo seemed to miss a few transparency, translucent and rotation tricks that the SNES had. I've always found it odd that the shadows in Neo Geo games often flicker....for a machine that cost several hundred quid!
It's perhaps odd if you're thinking in terms of the era since the mid 90s where nearly all GPUs have operated on the same principles and can consequently be programmed to do the same things. Back in the 80s though, when both machines were designed, graphics chips had to have all their features hardwired into the design; with larger custom chips costing considerably more than smaller ones, deciding upon what to leave out was as important as what had to go in and you'd very rarely end up with a more expensive machine having a complete superset of the capabilities of a cheaper one, except perhaps when they came from the same manufacturer and backwards compatibility was a feature.

As such, I'd suspect that SNK didn't include things like transparency, rotation and scaling - despite them being relatively cheap in the amount of silicon required - because they didn't have any games in mind that would use them. They did, however, offer a huge number of sprites, far more than the SNES can display and with less restrictions on their size and the amount of graphical data that can be used for them; that's largely what you were paying for.

Regarding transparency, the CRT displays of the time had relatively slow phosphor and flicker never looked anything like as bad on them as it did with modern LCDs. It still wasn't a great look, and games that overused it were rightly criticized, but a little bit here and there wouldn't have raised too many hackles.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:51 am

My ultimate gaming system would looks like a hybrid of a high end gaming pc/PS4 with the ability to connect official controllers from every system from the Atari VCS all the way to the PS4, every base covered via emulation but being able to use official Joysticks/Controllers.
"Time fades even legend..."