Twin Galaxy cheaters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Trixta

Twin Galaxy cheaters

Post by Trixta » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:41 pm

I'm surprised theres not already a topic on this, but the forum is kinda dead these days.
I'll keep this brief as theres a whole ton of evidence everywhere online.

In the last 2 weeks, Todd Rogers aka Mr.Activision has had all his high scores removed from twin galaxys and lost his Guinness world records after it was proven that the times and scores he claimed to have achieved were proven to be impossible.

Now we have Billy Mitchell (the arrogant guy from king of kong), who held the donkey kong world record as well as claiming to be the "first" person to ever play the perfect pacman game, Having his scores looked in to. And from all the evidence I've seen, looks to have faked his donkey kong scores by using mame but claiming to be done on real hardware (oh and todd rogers was the official ref who witnessed it).

Anyway my question, is twin galaxys even relevant these days? Even back in the early days I always saw the site as one giant circle jerk. And if you think its still relevant, how do they proceed forward following wide spread corruption and cheating. I'm sure even more scores and cheaters are going to be exposed as everyone is out for blood.

FYI Apollo legends youtube channel has gone in to depth on how/why these people were caught out. Or tipsters channel, if you want a more simpler explanation.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Matt_B

Re: Twin Galaxy cheaters

Post by Matt_B » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:56 am

I've been following this too. There was also a great two-parter from Ben Heck last year in which he hacks an Atari 2600 in order to be able to set up for a perfect Dragster run, by programming the gear changes to the level of individual frames. Rogers turns up, fails miserably, and looks visibly uncomfortable by the end of it. Ben is far too polite to say anything, but it's obvious that the jig is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEyaB6fAGNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfXwSYzEjcE

As to the relevance of Twin Galaxies, I'd think that they've done a lot to clean up their act of late, and that's at least partly why some big names are finally getting taken down for cheating. New management took over in 2014 and they've since instituted a system where all new records have to be submitted with video evidence which is available for the public to scrutinize. As such, I'd be pretty confident about anything added in that period.

I'd still be inclined to take any long-standing records without comparable supporting evidence with a pinch of salt though. The corruption in their previous organization appears to have run rather deep and there'll doubtless be many more scores disputed in the future.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:10 am

Yes, I'd forgotten about this- thanks for starting the topic!

It's been interesting to follow this story as it goes, TG does seem to have been this insular boys club kind of thing for a long time, and while I don't think everyone there has been dodgy, it seems many have been. Walter always seemed such a nice bloke, a father figure to many, I'd be disappointed should he be involved in allowing anything untoward, although even in King of Kong Billy was allowed special treatment to table a score. Will be interesting to see what else emerges.

In the meantime, I'll just keep going for PBs on a home cab! :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Just have everyone have to do their scores at the venue on approved cabs.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:33 pm

sscott wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:52 pm
Just have everyone have to do their scores at the venue on approved cabs.
Sure, that'd at least stop people playing games on MAME at home and splicing videos together. However, it's not like TG has a cab for every game in existence, and they'd rather limit the pool of people who could submit scores to those who can frequent the venue, so it's a non-starter from a practical perspective if they're aiming to remain the global standard. Also, at least part of the problem at TG was corruption within the organization itself with referees being allowed to submit scores for each other, and in some cases themselves, and it wouldn't solve that side of things.

A transparent verification scheme where the video evidence remains public seems the best way forward. That way, if anyone is trying to fool the system they've also got to fool everyone on the internet who watches it in future, which will almost certainly include people very familiar with the game and any subtle differences between arcade hardware and emulation, and also the telltale signs of edited videos.

You can think of it a bit like the Lance Armstrong situation in cycling. He was able to cheat and get away for it for a very long time because the drugs were undetectable, but the technology eventually caught up with him and now his name is mud.