My year of PS2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Timothy Redux

My year of PS2

Post by Timothy Redux » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm

wanting to switch up what I usually play as retro, my xbox is now in the loft and I'm spending this year most playing PS2 game (as I didn't play any back in the day). I realise there's a lot of crossover with Xbox titles of the time, so I'm going to be playing oddities and exclusives (cheap ones!).

Feel free to shout some titles at me - thanks
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: My year of PS2

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Ooh. I've been playing Ps2 lately as well. This is what I've been playing the past couple of weeks.
Jak & Daxter is a fun platformer
Rez is an amazing on-rails shooter with the best level of any videogame
Gradius V is one of the best horizontal shooters of all time
Guitaro Man is a fantastic rhythm action game with a good range of musical generes represented
Raiden III is a very slick vertical scrolling shooter but is now quite pricey

merman

Post by merman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Katamari Damacy (if you can play NTSC titles) and sequel We ❤️ Katamari
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 pm
Ooh. I've been playing Ps2 lately as well. This is what I've been playing the past couple of weeks.
Jak & Daxter is a fun platformer
Rez is an amazing on-rails shooter with the best level of any videogame
Gradius V is one of the best horizontal shooters of all time
Guitaro Man is a fantastic rhythm action game with a good range of musical generes represented
Raiden III is a very slick vertical scrolling shooter but is now quite pricey
Thanks Darran and Merman

Rez sounds fun - will out that on the list.

My friend has lent me a copy of Forbidden Siren - no idea about it beyond it being Japanese horror - but seems like a good place to start

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:21 pm

hehe Ive also been focused on the PS2 in recent weeks, there are so many title I never got around to playing at the time (and now its virtually impossible to play every title, so many games and systems around), and one I missed first time around was "Bully" by Rockstar. Only a bit into it but quite fun, an interesting game.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59 am

I think Bully is one I see the local Cash Converters from time to time - I didn't pick it up as it looked a bit sandbox, thought I know Rocktar do this well - sadly my limited gaming time means I'll probably stick to games with 7 or 8 hour campaigns/Levels I can finish.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59 am
I think Bully is one I see the local Cash Converters from time to time - I didn't pick it up as it looked a bit sandbox, thought I know Rocktar do this well - sadly my limited gaming time means I'll probably stick to games with 7 or 8 hour campaigns/Levels I can finish.
you know I get the feeling that game went under the radar a bit as its not really heard of anymore, I think it might go up in value over time.. but just a guess.

The PS2 is great for sports games if youre into that sort of thing, there are loads of decent sporting titles. Brian Lara 2007, High Heat Baseball 2004, Smash Court Tennis, Fight Night Round 2, are some of my favourites.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:23 pm

I second Guitaro Man, its a great game.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 am

Bully is essentially a modern day version of Back To Skool and Skool Daze. It's really decent and the Wii version is pretty fun as well.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 am

I couldn't get along with Canis Canem Edit, it was too americanised for me, I just didn't relate to it like I could with the GTA games it was derived from. At least with GTA it used the typical movie tropes I was used to.

Gitaroo Man is an interesting diversion though I only ever played the PSP version, the PS2 version was quite expensive back then having a small cult following.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:28 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 am
Bully is essentially a modern day version of Back To Skool and Skool Daze. It's really decent and the Wii version is pretty fun as well.
The Wii version is my favourite, the controls just work so well and really add something extra to the game. Probably one of my favourite games of all time actually.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 pm

This is a pretty good concept, to focus on one platform (especially, if like many of us, you have a gaming pile of shame ever growing!).

The PS2 has too much choice! Gran Turismo 4 alone could wipe out 6 months if you wanted it to. Two great Metal Gear Solid games are on it, 5 GTA games, and the last Final Fantasy games (10/12) worth playing IMO.

As a racing nut (beyond the obvious GT3/4) there are some quality arcade racers to recommend like Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast, Splashdown Rides gone Wild, SSX Tricky & 3, Burnout Revenge/3, Tourist Trophy (Polyphony Digitals Gran Turismo on motorbikes), Micro Machines V4, Mashed Fully Loaded and Ridge Racer V.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 pm
This is a pretty good concept, to focus on one platform (especially, if like many of us, you have a gaming pile of shame ever growing!).

The PS2 has too much choice! Gran Turismo 4 alone could wipe out 6 months if you wanted it to. Two great Metal Gear Solid games are on it, 5 GTA games, and the last Final Fantasy games (10/12) worth playing IMO.

As a racing nut (beyond the obvious GT3/4) there are some quality arcade racers to recommend like Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast, Splashdown Rides gone Wild, SSX Tricky & 3, Burnout Revenge/3, Tourist Trophy (Polyphony Digitals Gran Turismo on motorbikes), Micro Machines V4, Mashed Fully Loaded and Ridge Racer V.
Didn't realize they still did Micro Machines - my favourite from my Megadrive days! It's on my list

(I too had a gaming pile of shame once - and it actually made me play less if anything as I was always tinkering with lots of games - so trying to get into a few titles. Also no collecting - I just don't have the space in family home anymore - it's play and then back to the shop for another title).

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:35 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Didn't realize they still did Micro Machines - my favourite from my Megadrive days! It's on my list
I hope you enjoy it! Might not be quite as good as the 16 bit originals in many peoples eyes, but still a blast.

Make sure you get Micro Machines V4 though, and not the Atari published "Micro Machines". V4 feels more like a proper part of the MM series, as it was developed i believe by Codemasters (or Supersonic Software who made previous versions).

As the PS2 is fully backward compatible with PS1 games, it may also be worth picking up Micro Machines V3 and Micro Maniacs if you've not played either of those, and wish to go fully MM insane! :D

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:54 pm

I'd forgotten about backwards compatibility... this could open a pandora's box of PS1 games.... (

thanks for the Micro Machines tips too