Quintessential Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

Quintessential Games

Post by ncf1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:18 am

Which games for you are, *the* quintessential game of its type : for instance, THE platformer that defines platform gaming for you, is as complete and fulfilling as it can be for that genre? The quintessential shoot 'em up? The quintessential adventure? etc.

So choose one game for each category :

1. Platformer
2. Shoot 'em up
3. Adventure
4. Driving game
5. RPG
6. FPS
7 Sports
8. Survival Horror
9. Fighting

I like to torture myself with these sorts of questions. I'm going to have a good hard think about it myself. To start off, Quintessential platformer might be Super Mario World on Gameboy, or Wonderboy Deluxe, but I need to quiz this through my brain for a bit.
Last edited by ncf1 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kiwimike

Re: Quintessential Games

Post by kiwimike » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:02 am

ncf1 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:18 am
Which games for you are, *the* quintessential game of its type : for instance, THE platformer that defines platform gaming for you, is as complete and fulfilling as it can be for that genre? The quintessential shoot 'em up? The quintessential adventure? etc.

1. Platformer
2. Shoot 'em up
3. Adventure
4. Driving game
5. RPG
6. FPS

I like to torture myself with these sorts of questions. I'm going to have a good hard think about it myself. To start off, Quintessential platformer might be Super Mario World on Gameboy, or Wonderboy Deluxe, but I need to quiz this through my brain for a bit.
It's a bloody good question! And of course is an interesting one in that it will completely different to each person. I will go with my first thought that hits me- not what I think are necessarily the best in each genre, but my favourites/ones that gave me the most enjoyment and nicest memories. May I also suggest 'Sports' and 'Survival horror' genres as well? Unless survival horror counts under adventure! Strategy as well perhaps?

1. Platformer. Original Tomb Raider.
2. Shoot em up. Xevious
3. Adventure. Zelda OOT. (I know most would consider this 'RPG" but this is the main game that goes through my mind thinking an Adventure).
4. Driving Game. Road Rash. (Crosses genres again but I loved these games).
5. RPG. FF7. The first game that seriously got me into RPGs, and nothings come close again for me.
6. FPS. Doom/Doom2. Still probably my all time fave game.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 am

ncf1 wrote:

1. Platformer
2. Shoot 'em up
3. Adventure
4. Driving game
5. RPG
6. FPS

1. Platformer - Super Mario World
2. Shoot 'em up - R-Type
3. Adventure - The Hobbit
4. Driving game - Outrun
5. RPG - FF7
6. FPS - Halo
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:40 am

ncf1 wrote:

1. Platformer
2. Shoot 'em up
3. Adventure
4. Driving game
5. RPG
6. FPS

Far far too many nominations for each category, but here goes...

1. Platformer - Super Mario Galaxy
2. Shoot 'em up - Silkworm (Amiga)
3. Adventure - Monkey Island
4. Driving game - Super Mario Kart....or Forza Motorsport (if it has to be a "serious" racer)
5. RPG - Final Fantasy VII
6. FPS - Portal 2
7. Sports - Speedball 2
8. Survival Horror - Umm, I've done a cheeky edit switch here....so Left4Dead!
Last edited by Sephiroth81 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:54 am

Platformer - Super mario world.

Shooter - UN squadron

Adventure - Zelda - Link to the past

Driving - Outrun 2

RPG - Blue Dragon

FPS - Doom

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:40 am

kiwimike wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:02 am
May I also suggest 'Sports' and 'Survival horror' genres as well? Unless survival horror counts under adventure! Strategy as well perhaps?
good idea, i added those in :D

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:14 am

good answers in there, some I will have to go with myself :

1. Platformer : Super Mario World. When I played that for the first time on Gameboy I just thought wow, they got it all together with this, just a complete homerun. Tomb Raider's a good choice, maybe I should have divided it up between 2D and 3D platforming.

2. Shoot 'em up : Galaga. A close one for me, alongside 1942. But Galaxians improved on Space Invaders and Galaga took it one step further and put the cherry on the cake as the quintessential shooter.

3. Adventure : Monkey Island. Its still the game so many ape, steal from, try to be, downright plagiarise, and in what could be considered perhaps the broadest of all categories in terms of imagination, it truly blows the mind.

4. Driving Game : Outrun.

5. RPG : I have to skip this one, don't really know

6. FPS : Call Of Duty. Medal of Honor paved the way but then CoD reshaped how things were done for the genre.

7. Sports : hmm that's a good one Mike, that's really tough... maybe impossible! I'd have to hear some other suggestions first.. I don't know.

8. Survival Horror : Resident Evil 1. Not my favourite of the series, but it took Alone In The Dark and smoothed its edges, created the new blueprint. So I would say the first RE of the series.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:21 am

1. Platformer Ghost Chaser Mikado Super Famicom obscure horror themed platform game with a female ghost hunter. Multiple routes and hidden areas
2. Shoot 'em up Gorf Midway
3. Adventure between Neir Automatia and Horizon Zero Dawn. If the older point & Click Adventures Maniac Mansion on the Nes and Deja Vu the only 2 Adventure games I finished
4. Driving game Out Run 2
5. RPG Final Fantasy 7
6. FPS not a genre I’m keen on Shadow Warriors PS4
7 Sports Wrestlefest does that count
8. Survival Horror Rule of Rose deranged
Last edited by Shinobi on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 am

Shinobi wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:21 am
sure, why not? :D
Sports was the hardest for me.. I wouldnt know what to choose, as the quintessential sports game.. dont know if its possible!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:57 am

1. Platformer - Sonic 3 & Knuckles (big scope compared to most platformed and fun)
2. Shoot 'em up - Sol Feace/Feace (bloody good fun with a great soundtrack and easy to get into but not bullet hell)
3. Adventure - Difficult but Zelda Ocarina of Time (I prefer Majora's but this is more accessible to people and shows a massive upgrade in adventure gaming)
4. Driving game - Gran Turismo (the first racing SIM which was almost similar like with still good graphics and great races)
5. RPG - FF7 (not my favourite RPG but the most accessible)
6. FPS - Goldeneye (to show how the standard was first raised from PC to console and multiplayer taking a front seat)
7 Sports - errrr Wii Sports for a variety of fun sports? Dislike sports games so have no real point of reference.
8. Survival Horror - Resident Evil 2 (more forgiving then the original but much better)

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:02 pm

1. Platformer - Monty on the run.
2. Shoot 'em up - Galaga.
3. Adventure - The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. My first encounter with Link and still very memorable.
4. Driving game - Outrun.
5. RPG - Kingdom Hearts.
6. FPS - Half Life 2. Its predecessor redefined the FPS, this improved on the formula.
7 Sports - Leader Board. About as sporty as I got
8. Survival Horror - Eternal Darkness. Spooky in a different way.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:43 pm

ncf1 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 am
Shinobi wrote:
Sports was the hardest for me.. I wouldnt know what to choose, as the quintessential sports game.. dont know if its possible!
The only other sport games I like are Day if Reckoning 2 Gamecube and that old Arcade Football game where you 1 credit it every time by using Brazil and kicking from the bottom next to the goal you scored every time. I wondered if both those games would be to arcade like. Same with Mario and Everybody’s Golf I always wondered if they come under arcade games
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:43 pm
ncf1 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 am
Shinobi wrote:
The only other sport games I like are Day if Reckoning 2 Gamecube and that old Arcade Football game where you 1 credit it every time by using Brazil and kicking from the bottom next to the goal you scored every time. I wondered if both those games would be to arcade like. Same with Mario and Everybody’s Golf I always wondered if they come under arcade games
all games count :) any ol' system.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:36 pm

ncf1 wrote:

1. Platformer
2. Shoot 'em up
3. Adventure
4. Driving game
5. RPG
6. FPS
7 Sports
8. Survival Horror

If I had to say to someone THIS is a XXX game, and expect them to be impressed

1.Super Mario World
2.Space Invaders
3.Hobbit
4.Outrun 2 SP (preferably multi-player hydraulic cab)
5.Baldurs Gate II (unless Orcarina of Time counts)
6.Return to Castle Wolfenstein
7.Hypersports
8.Ant Attack
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Couldn't give an answer for RPG as I've never really played them but who no category for fighting game?

1. Platformer - Super Meat Boy
2. Shoot 'em up - R-Type
3. Adventure - The Secret of Monkey Island
4. Driving game - Metropolis Street Racer (or any of the PGR games as a substitute)
5. RPG - ?
6. FPS - Doom
7 Sports - Hyper Sports
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink: