Is the Retron 5 a good testing console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shinobisshinpads

Is the Retron 5 a good testing console?

Post by shinobisshinpads » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi there!

I'm really considering getting a Retron 5, mainly because I currently have 5 slots beneath my TV that could do with some tidying. I buy quite a lot of games and I guess my main concern would be if I was to use the Retron 5 primarily, would the games only work on the Retron 5 if they also worked on the original console? I just don't want to have to hook up my own consoles every time I receive a new game just to make sure I haven't bought a game with a broken PCB. I thought this might be a genuine concern because the retron 5 doesn't work in the same way as the original consoles. Any help here greatly appreciated!

Matt_B

Re: Is the Retron 5 a good testing console?

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:42 pm

It's certainly not going to give you a perfect test of every cartridge you buy. The Retron just dumps the memory to its internal storage and doesn't interact with it while running, so it may miss subtle errors particularly if the cartridge contains other chips that the Retron emulates. Conversely, the emulation isn't perfect, so games that may run on real hardware could potentially fail on the Retron.

That said, I've seen very few cartridges that don't work that aren't stone cold unreadable so you'd probably be able to tell with 99% confidence.

shinobisshinpads

Post by shinobisshinpads » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:52 am

Thanks so much for your help. Hearing that it sounds more likely that a cartridge won't work on the Retron 5 but may work on the original console, than the other way round, would you say that's true? If that's the case then it should be fine. I sell games as well, and I'm just really keen to avoid something that tested ok on the retron 5 only for the buyer telling me it didn't work on their system. If there's little chance of that happening then it makes a lot of sense for me to save some space under my tv (and not have to change the wiring every time I switch consoles!)

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:38 pm

The Retron 5 is great, especially for me as my top of the range Samsung 4K 65" TV doesn't have Scart or an Aerial connection, only 4 HDMI's, the Retron 5 is the only way i can play on that TV, I have tried Scart to HDMI boxes but they are all to laggy. The Retron 5 is perfect for what I need, and as the same as you, I sell games and consoles, if i am testing games i do it on the Retron 5, or I have to use the kids tv to test the consoles

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:24 pm

shinobisshinpads wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:52 am
Thanks so much for your help. Hearing that it sounds more likely that a cartridge won't work on the Retron 5 but may work on the original console, than the other way round, would you say that's true?
Probably, although again you'd be looking at a very small number of games - mostly latter day homebrew - that are unplayable due to emulation issues.

shinobisshinpads

Post by shinobisshinpads » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to get either the Retron 5 or Retro Freak (which I hadn't even heard about until after making this thread, and it supports more formats which is great as I also have a PC engine). IT sounds like either one is perfect for my needs