Your fave FPS series

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is

Doom
26%
Half-Life
29%
Quake
No votes
Unreal (incl. Tournament)
6%
Wolfenstein
No votes
Halo
6%
Call of Duty
10%
Battlefield
6%
Far Cry
3%
Other
13%

Total votes: 31

kiwimike

Re: Your fave FPS series

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:31 pm

I really enjoy this genre, so plenty to quality to choose from.

I still love Doom. The simplicity blasting, cool atmosphere, just what I love in a game.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:20 am

Three best fps are RTCW, Goldeneye and Tron 2.0. So for a series would need to be Wolfenstein.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 pm
I'll go with Half Life out of the ones listed. Both the games were absolutely top notch for their time, have aged fairly gracefully and genuinely broke new ground in terms of narrative and gameplay. The episodes were all pretty good too, and pretty much all Valve's other games started out as HL mods. It's a short series, I suppose, but a consistently great one.

The three ID series have the same problem. They started with a thoroughly excellent and highly innovative game that'd be a genuine contender if that was what we were looking at, but then got cookie cutter sequels, and were subsequently stuck on the back burner until such a point that someone realized that they were starting to run out of new ideas and that they'd be better served by building them into recognizable brands. As such, there's little sense of continuity and both the style and quality of the games has been very variable. Ah well, the recent Doom and Wolfenstein games were pretty solid at least.

Of the others, I wouldn't say that they're not fun, but I'd struggle to think of something that they really added to the genre.
Agreed about Half-Life breaking new grounds, even though we could debate that it opened the floodgates for the "cinematic" approach in FPS games, an aspect that is both, celebrated (by those who see games in a similar fashion to other forms of entertainment like movies) and hated (by those who see games as a purely "gameplay uber alles" thing). A Half-Life 3 might not happen though, it's purely a fan/gamer request at this point, Valve seems to be too busy enjoying the great software and hardware sales of their platform.

About the "big three" from id - I feel they were all tremendous games in the 90s and early 2000s, but after that they sort of lost their "magic". Doom 3 left a mixed feeling - it certainly was a looker and highly atmospheric, the problem, though, was that it just wasn't very fun to play. Quake 4 was a bit better here but still not quite up to the high standards of it's predecessors and Wolfenstein 2009 was pretty average all around in my eyes. The franchises indeed needed a rebooting, most notably with Wolfenstein TNO/TOB, Doom 2016 and now Quake Champions. These new games feel like a mix of old and new and seem to be doing quite well.

As for "adding to the genre" of the other series - well, I certainly think they did add their share to the evolution of the genre. For example, Unreal introduced a much more vibrant, colorful look compared to the drabness of Quake, a Amiga-like soundtrack, semi open worldish alien landscapes, detail texturing and other advanced visual effects. To see the game run on a high-powered 3dfx PC in high-resolution was certainly mouth-watering, especially for the then of only low-resolution pixely/blurry visuals knowning console players, while Tournament improved the multi-player component 10-fold and became a rightful competitor to Quake in this area too. Then we have Halo which was a small revolution for console players in particular, but it was a good, progressive shooter looking from a broader perspective too. The most notable innovations were vehicle usage, regenerating health (admittedly became an annoying trend outside of Halo), melee attacks and so on. Perhaps it was a bit overhyped, but certainly an enjoyable game that made history. Call of Duty was essentially a upgraded Medal of Honour, but introduced fully functional 3D iron sights while Battlefield popularized large scale multiplayer mayhem with vehicles. And Far Cry demonstrated exotic semi open worlds with an added adventure component.

We could debate if they were actually the first to do it and we could also add tactical shooters into the mix, as that would make the debate even more interesting, as many of those did things that took others years to make or they still haven't caught on (e.g. Delta Force's huge open worlds, Rainbow Six's "1 shot 1 kill" merciless realism and tactical planning, SWAT's emphasis on disarming suspects rather than reliance on pure force, Operation Flashpoint's proper open worlds without loading, realism and tactics, WW2 Online's trully huge map and a realistic MMO approach), but I'll refrain from that because I consider them a seperate type of shooters that may interloop with classic FPS games (military shooters are popular nowadays after all), but may not be classed as stricly FPS games due to bigger emphasis on tactics and realism.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Voted for Doom. It was a hard choice as I have mixed feelings about Doom 3, but Ultimate Doom is so good that it almost wins the competition by itself for me.

A close 2nd would be Quake, which is also a fantastic series and I actually play it more nowadays than Doom. I'm not a huge PvP multiplayer guy, but Quake's online "fragging" and "deathmatching" is a chaos that sucks you in (nevermind that Q1, Q2 and Q4 all have very solid and enjoyable SP modes too).

Unreal series deserve credit too, UT99 and UT2004 are pure quality MP-oriented titles and the original Unreal was an amazing SP experience in it's time and is still enjoyable. I even like Unreal 2 and UT3, despite them not living to the high standards of their predecessors.

Half-Life is a great, groundbreaking series too, but Valve still owes us that 3rd Episode or a third part. It just feels a bit incomplete with that cliffhanger ending.

Never felt that much towards Wolfenstein though, I liked Wolf 3D but I also think Doom is much more fun to play and structuraly better (of course the better tech allowed for that) and RTCW was good also but didn't exactly captivate me. Then I kinda lost interest into the franchise and still have to get to TNO/TOB.

Halo was a nice title but clearly a more console-oriented FPS. I actually got Halo 3 with the 360 but found out it's not really for me. I'd be fine with the franchise making a comeback to PC though.

Call of Duty I enjoyed just the first one, then it started feeling too "rehashy" to me. Gave Modern Warfare and Advanced Warfare a shot and found out they're not for me due to the pronounced console orientation (not to dismiss console FP shooters - I liked GoldenEye and Perfect Dark as much as anybody, but CoD's console orientation was a massive turn off for me).

Never cared for Battlefield though, it's a series I have little interest into, and Far Cry would be a similar series, although I like the concept of sandboxy exotic worlds and adventure or RPG style elements.

Interestingly, I didn't actually include my personal fave FPS-like title, Operation Flashpoint, but this is because I don't consider those games strictly FPS games. As mentioned in the above post, I find tactical shooters are a seperate category, although I do enjoy them thoroughly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:30 am

What do you mean by 'console orientation' in FPS? It sounds a bit 'PC master race' as a phrase, not really giving any indication as to what it is that changed that you don't like.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:37 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:30 am
What do you mean by 'console orientation' in FPS? It sounds a bit 'PC master race' as a phrase, not really giving any indication as to what it is that changed that you don't like.
Low field of view (the view looks like it's always zoomed in), regenerating health (makes sense in a super hero shooter like Halo but is highly unreal in military shooters), quick time events (these can function in some situations but some games really overdo with them), a cinematic presentation (I play games, not movies), wrong feel while shooting guns (not realistic and not fully arcade either - I take my ArmA for realism and I take my Doom for arcade), match making (we have something called "server browser" in PC shooters), focus on melee or close combat instead of longer ranges (because analogue sticks on gamepads are pretty stiff or inaccurate), bullet sponge enemies (takes a whole clip to finish them off - ridiculous in a military shooter), lack of modding (because the game is "locked" for it and instead sells you loads of DLC), etc.

These are just some of the trends that Call of Duty series popularized in FPS games and I'm certainly no fan. I don't mind if people enjoy it though. And as I said, I have nothing against console shooters as such, I did enjoy GoldenEye, Perfect Dark and Halo. But when it comes to series like Call of Duty or Battlefield, these started out as PC-oriented shooters and they later made them very console-oriented. This is not surprising considering they sell the best on consoles, but we long time PC FPS players tend to not be impressed. There's also PC FPS games that just don't work well on gamepads - while Team Fortress, Counter-Strike and Quake did get console ports, noone really plays them there in a serious competitive fashion. Things like "rocket jumping", "strafe jumping", "bunny hopping" and "mid air kills" are probably pretty foregin to console players. The mouse and keyboard combo certainly allows for some things that the gamepad just doesn't cut for and this goes for overall structural design in games.

With that said, I'm aware that most big "AAA" titles are multi-format nowadays. The new Doom would be an example of how to do a modern FPS well on both, PCs and consoles. But even here we can see a bigger focus on melee attacks. Something like Quake is far less adjustable for gamepads which would explain the lack of arena shooters on consoles.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 am

There is so much in there I don't agree with, but thanks for the explanation.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:06 pm

I think the only series I could really choose would be Halo. I could have chosen games like Doom, Thief 2 or Deus Ex but they all had disappointing sequels (plus I never had Doom when it was new, I think the nearest I got was the PS1 port).
Halo is the only game I've returned to in the past few years and actually played.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:06 pm

I went for 'other' here, but i'm not a big FPS fan in general. I said other as the only FPS game I've ever put any amount of time/effort into is Team Fortress 2.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:43 am

Not a big fan of the FPS, but I'd tip my hat to Duke Nukem!
Press Play On Tape

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Doom and Half-Life seem tied, now's the chance to tip the balance for those who haven't voted yet... :wink:

BarbaricAvatar

Post by BarbaricAvatar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Tough. Unreal 1, Doom 2 and Half Life 2 are the best examples of the genre to me. I've recently played Quake 1 for the first time and loved every minute, plus there are the truly wonderful Jedi Knight games and Duke Nukem has always provided me with great enjoyment. I think i'll have to go with Unreal because the first game is amazing and it also spawned Unreal Tournament, which is the most exhillerating arena shooter i've ever played.
I don't care that a tie-breaker is required, neither game is as good for me!
No, i'm not angry. That's just how i write.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:41 pm

Going to have to go with Far Cry I guess.

1 was great. I hated 2. 3 and 4 were solid. Primal was criminally dull. 5 is ace.

My fave FPS ever is Unreal Tournament but the series as a whole did nothing for me.