Your fave FPS series

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is

Doom
26%
Half-Life
29%
Quake
No votes
Unreal (incl. Tournament)
6%
Wolfenstein
No votes
Halo
6%
Call of Duty
10%
Battlefield
6%
Far Cry
3%
Other
13%

Total votes: 31

outdated_gamer

Your fave FPS series

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:36 pm

The genre whose legitimate grandfather is Wolfenstein 3D, but existed in palpable forms prior (i.e. Midi Maze, Battlezone). Became popular with Doom, caught a wider audience with Halo, exploded in popularity with Call of Duty. Spawned many sub-genres like tactical shooters, arena shooters, RPG/FPS hybrids and so on.

In this poll, I'm limiting the choice to the more popular and recognized titles, but you're free to pick some other.

ncf1

Re: Your fave FPS series

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 pm

I'd have to say Battlefield. Call of Duty was at first my favourite but was taken over by Battlefield over time.

I haven't played the newest CoD though.. might turn things around again, who knows.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 pm

I'll go with Half Life out of the ones listed. Both the games were absolutely top notch for their time, have aged fairly gracefully and genuinely broke new ground in terms of narrative and gameplay. The episodes were all pretty good too, and pretty much all Valve's other games started out as HL mods. It's a short series, I suppose, but a consistently great one.

The three ID series have the same problem. They started with a thoroughly excellent and highly innovative game that'd be a genuine contender if that was what we were looking at, but then got cookie cutter sequels, and were subsequently stuck on the back burner until such a point that someone realized that they were starting to run out of new ideas and that they'd be better served by building them into recognizable brands. As such, there's little sense of continuity and both the style and quality of the games has been very variable. Ah well, the recent Doom and Wolfenstein games were pretty solid at least.

Of the others, I wouldn't say that they're not fun, but I'd struggle to think of something that they really added to the genre.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:24 am

I went for Far Cry.
I'm not a massive fan of the FPS genre and can't stand 'deathmatch' style multiplayer. I like the structure of the Far Cry games and they're really more of a first person adventure than a true FPS series (the last entry didn't even have any guns in it).

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:40 am

This is gonna need some real thinking about!
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 am

Favourite series: Call of Duty, purely on the basis I've played more games.

As a game, Doom/DoomII etc should probably beat those out.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 am

Halo, completed them all on every difficulty level, don't like the multiplayer of the new one though, too much like COD

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:38 am

ok Half LIfe (and I include Counter Strike)

very narrowly beating Halo, CoD and Battlefield by not havign a single game in the series that I don't absolutely love
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:51 am

Never really been much of a FPS fan, but I'm quite partial to a bit of "Valve" - not so much Half Life (although they are clearly amazing), but more the Portal games and Left4Dead series.

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm

I'ts got to be half life for me, I've got them all including the Black Mesa remake.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Not a series as such, but I still prefer the N64 Goldeneye & Perfect Dark over subsequent FPS games.
Where logic won't work, I will

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:08 pm

If we were talking individual games I would choose Return To Castle Wolfenstein for single player and Unreal Tournament for multi player. As a series I will go for Call Of Duty as I can think of four games that I really enjoyed.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm

DOOM, mainly because after all this time people still make content for it and its still RIP AND TEARRIFIC

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:52 pm

I still think something like Metroid Prime can be considered a FPS, but I don't really care to argue it, so I'll go with Timesplitters, either way I voted other.

The second and third games were fantastic, great design and humour and equally strong in single player (I refuse to say "campaign") and local multiplayer.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:30 pm

UNREAL TOURNAMENT (60 minute, 80+ bot matches!!!)

KILLZONE ..... loved the first one and finished the story too, played botmatches all the time even to the point of wholesale trolling of the enemy where i picked another bot and let them overun the base ..... only for me to be a massive sneak and snipe them from the darkness :twisted:

HALF LIFE ..... only really the story but dipped into online late on, hated counter strike, liked team fortress more

QUAKE ..... i have QUAKE 2 but never played it since the demo of QUAKE 3

we played DOOM over lan in our IT recycling training facility, it was fun, had it on SNES too

DUKE NUKEM was glorious

BIOSHOCK i need to get back too, INFINITE too

also a big fan of BLACK, pity there's only one

really was impressed with the demo of RED FACTION

rather liked GOLDENEYE when i had a working N64

strange thing about TIMESPLITTERS, because it used the twin sticks to control, i couldn't get a handle on it, but second one i was more used to it