Bob Wakelin tribute

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Bob Wakelin tribute

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:37 am

We're putting together an article to celebrate Bob's artwork, so if anyone would like to contribute please add a comment about how his work affected you here.

Kindest regards,
Darran

Mayhem

Re: Bob Wakelin tribute

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Gamers in the UK during the 1980s were spoiled. While I may have owned the best computer, the Commodore 64, the vast majority of players, arguably Nintendo and Sega too, were blessed with the golden era of cover artwork, an area sanitised and produced almost seemingly by rote for today's markets. Of those from that era, the three names that stand out the most to me are Oliver Frey, Steinar Lund, and Bob Wakelin. Bob had far the widest coverage, being the main artist for Ocean, and even if you didn't know his name, you almost certainly knew his work. His artwork is that iconic that I had to acquire something when he initially made what he had salvaged from Ocean available around the year 2000, and I was able to purchase the covers for both Wizball and Parallax. I had also wanted Head Over Heels, but Jon Ritman had got there first! Albeit somewhat fittingly. There is an even greater depth of appreciation for the effort and skill required to produce many of his pieces from holding and examining one, as suddenly every line, airbrush pass and touch-up is evident to stunning degree. The man was a master of his trade, even if you are much aware that he was fairly deprecating about a number of his efforts! But that went with the person that he was, a humble and grounded individual who was a pleasure to talk to and be around. He will be sorely missed.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:13 pm

It's been a very sad piece of news for me. I love Bob's work, his artwork has been the main reason that made me start my Hit Squad collection, and his Parallax poster is, and always will be, beside my retro computer corner, so I can look at it while the C64 loads a game or the Amiga does its magic.
He will be missed, but his work will stay with me (and with many that have been loving it for 30+ years) all my life. Ciao, Bob.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Very sad, I have a signed Batman in my sons room. I bought so many games based on just on his art work
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:13 pm

At a time when computer graphics often couldn't, Bob's artwork helped fire our imaginations. His artistry will be an enduring legacy of 80's gaming.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:44 am

Extraordinary artist, every piece of artwork inspiring, I don't think the man did a bad cover.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 pm

His artwork lifted the titles and gave them an edge few competitors could have for. They are plain lovely.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 am

Sadly the younger generation and most gamers outside the UK will not recognise the name, but they should, as they have almost certainly seen his classic artwork at some point in their gaming lives, the thing that shocks me the most when looking up his work is that there is not even a Wikipedia page for him!

His covers were extraordinary, making some of the rubbish that Ocean produced during a bad patch around 1985 more bearable, as his covers had such depth, you could pour over them for ages and see new details all the time, very sad to learn of his passing, but thankfully there is a whole generation of gamers who will keep his work alive.