Your fave adventure game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is

Monkey Island
43%
Maniac Mansion
7%
King's Quest
7%
Leisure Suit Larry
3%
Indiana Jones
3%
Space Quest
3%
Day of the Tentacle
20%
Grim Fandango
No votes
Full Throttle
3%
Other
10%

Total votes: 30

paranoid marvin

Re: Your fave adventure game

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Leaving text adventures aside (which aren't really comparable to point'n'click)

DOTT is excellent, the re-make even moreso. The puzzles are logical (in a warped kind of way), and you never feel really stuck as you have 3 adventures going in the different time zones. The puzzles are brilliantly thought out and humour spot on (although it helps a little to have a bit of knowledge of the founding fathers). The voice acting is amongst the best of any game ever. It's long enough to be enjoyable without ever feeling like it's dragging and completable without cheating (which is more than can be said for most games of this type).

Fate of Atlantis is equally brilliant with the 3 differing paths (although the end level in Atlantis is a little disappointing). Amazon Queen is good enough to be a SCUMM title, Full Throttle is really enjoyable also.

Monkey Island is utterly superb with one of the best soundtracks ever (but actually best played in the original non-talkie version). Always had doubts about MI2; the humour is still there, it has beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds - but the puzzles are quite often too hard due to the fact that the game is spread out over such a huge area. One of the things that made the original so good was that it only had a handful of locations and so felt manageable. Having to traipse across the various islands hoping objects will work in another location can be frustrating - particularly when they don't work. Some of the puzzles are a bit obscure (mixing the right combination for the spit) and in some respects the character feels a bit mean spirited (nicking Wally's monocle so he can't see, locking Stan on a coffin when he's done nothing wrong (and not being able to let him out). We were spoilt with the first game and the second feels...inferior.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Beneath a Steel Sky is another great game that's on the list. You can easily pick it up as a free download from GoG if you've not done so already.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:30 am
I'm sticking to point n clickers here btw, since that's what the poll was for. I could easily reel off text adventure games too.
Actually, there's two series in the poll that started out as text (graphic) adventures - King's Quest and Space Quest. Although you're right I mainly put point-and-clickers into it. But there certainly is no problem with people mentioning text adventures, including non graphic ones like Zork. Those actually stimulate imagination and could be seen as "interactive books".

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:29 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:16 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:30 am
I'm sticking to point n clickers here btw, since that's what the poll was for. I could easily reel off text adventure games too.
Actually, there's two series in the poll that started out as text (graphic) adventures - King's Quest and Space Quest. Although you're right I mainly put point-and-clickers into it. But there certainly is no problem with people mentioning text adventures, including non graphic ones like Zork. Those actually stimulate imagination and could be seen as "interactive books".
Leisure Suit Larry also started as a text input game. But there are LOADS of great text adventures like Hobbit, Hampstead, Urban Upstart, Ground Zero, Mindshadow and most Infocom titles (to name but a few). Personally I wouldn't see those titles as interactive books ;that title could go to multiple choice text games like the excellent Adrian Mole,Yes PM and The Archers by Mosaic .
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 am

I pretty much missed this entire genres golden hour in my gaming dark period so would have to vote The Walking Dead which I assume counts
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:14 am

Out of the list I voted for King's Quest

But I would also love to throw in Discworld II & Simon The Sorcerer - Love the style and humour in both games.

Glad Adrian Mole, Yes Prime Minister and Hampstead also got a mention! :D :D :D
Press Play On Tape

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:46 am

From the list - Monkey Island.

Honourable not on the list mention - Zak McKraken.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:03 am

I loved the original Broken Sword, but I've voted for Monkey Island here.
Where logic won't work, I will

Back in Time Sime

Post by Back in Time Sime » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:58 am

Monkey Island for me, I guess the only one I really played to completion... What can I say, I am a bad person...

Playing Thimbleweed Park right now, and it truly resolves all of the things that bugged me about the genre, so would have voted for that given the chance...

Taaa
Sime
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Well, Monkey Island won by a landslide, judging by the poll.

Well deserved, I'd say, the games really are great, both, in their original forms and as HD remasters.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:31 am

I can only put the poll results down to not enough people having played Day of the Tentacle ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:42 am

Space quest 2 and Discworld are my favourites and Jinxter is easily my favourite text adventure. The best thing about the old adventure games was the comedy. I'm playing Space Quest 2 through again on steam and its still funny.
Scott me up beamie!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:31 am
I can only put the poll results down to not enough people having played Day of the Tentacle ;)
Well I could agree with that, many played Monkey Island and likely finished it too, less so the other adventure games. Atleast that's the case with me - played many but completed only a handful.

BarbaricAvatar

Post by BarbaricAvatar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 pm

I thought this might be tricky, but turns out it was easy. I love nearly all of the point & click games, but nothing can touch the Monkey Island series for puzzles, storyline and humour. The alternatives aren't bad but it's like comparing Blake Stone to Duke Nukem.
No, i'm not angry. That's just how i write.