Your fave adventure game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is

Monkey Island
43%
Maniac Mansion
7%
King's Quest
7%
Leisure Suit Larry
3%
Indiana Jones
3%
Space Quest
3%
Day of the Tentacle
20%
Grim Fandango
No votes
Full Throttle
3%
Other
10%

Total votes: 30

outdated_gamer

Your fave adventure game

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Pick one from the poll (can be any from the series) or mention it seperatly.

ncf1

Re: Your fave adventure game

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:48 am

well.. its Monkey Island II which isn't listed but i am guessing the MI option is for any adventure in the series.

Surprisingly, to myself, I found that my second favourite adventure of all time has become Thimbleweed Park. Ive played it over 3 times now and love it, its a great adventure. But not quite good enough to supplant MI 2 from top spot, I'm not sure that will ever be beat (for mine).

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 am

ncf1 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:48 am
well.. its Monkey Island II which isn't listed but i am guessing the MI option is for any adventure in the series.

Surprisingly, to myself, I found that my second favourite adventure of all time has become Thimbleweed Park. Ive played it over 3 times now and love it, its a great adventure. But not quite good enough to supplant MI 2 from top spot, I'm not sure that will ever be beat (for mine).
Oooh, just downloaded Thimbleweed Park on the Switch, so looking forward to that!

I'd probably agree with the Monkey Island series being my favourites. Always had a soft spot for those Delphine Adventure games (played them on the Amiga), like Future Wars and Operation Stealth as well, but MI gets my vote.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:33 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 am
ncf1 wrote:

Oooh, just downloaded Thimbleweed Park on the Switch, so looking forward to that!

I'd probably agree with the Monkey Island series being my favourites. Always had a soft spot for those Delphine Adventure games (played them on the Amiga), like Future Wars and Operation Stealth as well, but MI gets my vote.
I hope you enjoy it! It really brought me back I must say to the 'good ol days', it truly felt like a game from 1987 which was what they wanted people to experience, Ive never felt such a nostalgic rush as I did with Thimbleweed Park. Only trouble is, once It ended I wanted 10x more adventures like it. :)

I also loved Operation stealth/Delphine games and tried getting into them last year but just couldn't because of the interface which hasn't aged well.. to say the least, and I just couldn't cope with it. But maybe I should try again because I did also love those games.

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:32 am

I've gone for Day of the Tentacle. The voice acting on the CD version was excellent.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 am

Assuming we're going right back to text adventures, I've opted for other. Infocom adventures are great, but I have a real soft spot for Transylvania on Apple II, the first adventure game I played :)

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:54 am

Discworld Noir (should be on the list) for its vibe and not being insanely difficult like the previous two Discworld games.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:40 am

kiwimike wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 am
Assuming we're going right back to text adventures, I've opted for other. Infocom adventures are great, but I have a real soft spot for Transylvania on Apple II, the first adventure game I played :)
thats a title ive not thought about for a while, Transylvania II was my favourite for a long time, and the first game I ever 'beat'. It was the only game they allowed on the computers at school, hehe. But what a classic, so early on in the life of home computers, tremendous atmosphere. That werewolf following you around, the white house, some fantastic graphics.

I'd almost forgotten about that gem.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 am

ncf1 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:33 am

I hope you enjoy it! It really brought me back I must say to the 'good ol days', it truly felt like a game from 1987 which was what they wanted people to experience, Ive never felt such a nostalgic rush as I did with Thimbleweed Park. Only trouble is, once It ended I wanted 10x more adventures like it. :)

I also loved Operation stealth/Delphine games and tried getting into them last year but just couldn't because of the interface which hasn't aged well.. to say the least, and I just couldn't cope with it. But maybe I should try again because I did also love those games.
I'm going to start playing it tonight! I've never been brilliant at point n clicks, so may cheat and google a walkthrough when stuck...don't judge me!

Agreed about the Delphine games, they're a bit clunky with the controls, particularly in certain sections (which were intended to add variety to the experience I guess). I played Operation Stealth not that long ago, and the underwater bit was a bit annoying (emulator save states help, as does fast loading, when having to re-try again and again), but got bored and gave up after a few attempts of that overhead section where you are being chased or avoiding guards through those revolving doors. But i always loved the artwork style and colours of their games.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:34 am

From those, Maniac Mansion. For its sense of humour, alternate endings/deaths and for introducing the SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) that played host to so many games - building on what David Fox had created for film tie-in Labyrinth.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 am

I'm going to start playing it tonight! I've never been brilliant at point n clicks, so may cheat and google a walkthrough when stuck...don't judge me!

Agreed about the Delphine games, they're a bit clunky with the controls, particularly in certain sections (which were intended to add variety to the experience I guess). I played Operation Stealth not that long ago, and the underwater bit was a bit annoying (emulator save states help, as does fast loading, when having to re-try again and again), but got bored and gave up after a few attempts of that overhead section where you are being chased or avoiding guards through those revolving doors. But i always loved the artwork style and colours of their games.
The thing I really love about Thimbleweed Park is that the puzzles are spot on - I played the normal version first and only needed help once or twice which for me is unheard of, Ive always depended on walkthroughs like a baby does its pacifier, so try not to give in too quickly with help because its really worth it!

I think the underwater bit is where I stopped playing with my most recent playthrough.. just couldn't hack it. :D But yes the artwork, the way its like a movie, how gorgeous those games were, how perfect they would be for a remake, removing the cringworthy bits. Like the underwater bit. :)

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Leisure Suit Larry - because I'm a perv.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:03 pm

ncf1 wrote:

Yes, it can mean any in the series. I gave Monkey Island my vote too, although I must admit that it's one of the few on the list that I actually completed.

I have Thimbleweed on my wish list, it certainly looks great.

PostieDoc wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:54 am
Discworld Noir (should be on the list)
It didn't make it because there's only so much I could squish into the 10 option list. Sam & Max, Myst, 7th Guest, Gabriel Knight and Phantasmagoria would be other "high profile" adventures that also didn't make it due to that reason. Also mentionworthy would be Syberia, a nice semi-modern adventure game that was also free to grab on GoG not so long ago.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:30 am

From those listed, it has to be the full talkie version of Day of the Tentacle. The humour is spot on throughout and it never gets tiresome, it hits that level of tricky but not impossible just right. Nice varied characters, but it never feels obtuse. The presentation still holds up too, still looking great.

Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and Space Quest come close behind that. The Larry games are good too. It's a tough selection in that list.

I generally prefer single character games over those that can swap, since I'm not a fan of 'right person for the job' in these things. As the player, I should always be the right person.

Thimbleweed Park could easily be up there with that lot, it really is that good. It does suffer slightly from the above problem of characters though, not so much in the right person, since most any can do any task, but having to swap them around just to exchange objects is a minor annoyance. It does have sections where that isn't an issue though, where linearly the story swaps to someone else in flashback or whatever. That's a good solution for multi characters imo, since it doesn't leave the option of wondering if you need someone else to solve a puzzle, or an item someone else has. Any fan of point n clickers ought to play this game.

Not a big fan of Monkey Island. It is good, very well made, but I don't find the pirate thing so engaging and the humour didn't always work for me. The much lauded insult fighting I found quite dull for example.

Not on the list, can I add Flight of the Amazon Queen. This passed me by at the time, but since it was highlighted as being free and SCUMM compatible I gave it a go. It's very good, well worth anyone's time if they enjoyed the Monkey Island/Indy games since it follows similar themes.

I'm sticking to point n clickers here btw, since that's what the poll was for. I could easily reel off text adventure games too.

There's a very good book on point n click adventure gaming, but the name escapes me right now and all my gaming books are boxed in the loft at the mo.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:54 am

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.