Your top 10 8-bit games that are still fun today.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kebabinho

Re: Your top 10 8-bit games that are still fun today.

Post by kebabinho » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 pm

PostieDoc wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:21 pm
This forum seems to be split into two camps - those who think most 8-bit games are no longer playable and those who think that many still are. I thought it would be interesting to see which games are considered fun to play today.

1. Elite - quite an obvious choice but one I'm sure many would consider.
2. Back To Skool - I have never actually completed this game, I just love getting up to mischief at school.
3. R-Type - a great conversion for the Speccy that still plays really well today.
4. Fire Ant - this came packed in with my Plus/4, I have completed it many times and am happy to keep on completing it.
5. Spy Vs Spy - if you have someone else to play with, this game never gets old.
6. Target: Renegade - a great fighting game especially in two player mode.
7. Head Over Heels - one of the greatest games of all time.
8. Mercenary - there aren't many dedicated Plus/4 games but this shows what it was capable of in the right hands. Love exploring at my own pace.
9. Batty - my favourite Breakout type of game.
10. Turbo Esprit - GTA before there even was GTA, tremendous game.
I thought Fire Ant sent you back to Level one, albeit was slightly harder. or is there a true ending I'm missing!?!?

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:56 pm

kebabinho wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 pm
PostieDoc wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:21 pm
This forum seems to be split into two camps - those who think most 8-bit games are no longer playable and those who think that many still are. I thought it would be interesting to see which games are considered fun to play today.

1. Elite - quite an obvious choice but one I'm sure many would consider.
2. Back To Skool - I have never actually completed this game, I just love getting up to mischief at school.
3. R-Type - a great conversion for the Speccy that still plays really well today.
4. Fire Ant - this came packed in with my Plus/4, I have completed it many times and am happy to keep on completing it.
5. Spy Vs Spy - if you have someone else to play with, this game never gets old.
6. Target: Renegade - a great fighting game especially in two player mode.
7. Head Over Heels - one of the greatest games of all time.
8. Mercenary - there aren't many dedicated Plus/4 games but this shows what it was capable of in the right hands. Love exploring at my own pace.
9. Batty - my favourite Breakout type of game.
10. Turbo Esprit - GTA before there even was GTA, tremendous game.
I thought Fire Ant sent you back to Level one, albeit was slightly harder. or is there a true ending I'm missing!?!?
I meant play it all the way through, as in every screen.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:02 pm

Like most eras of gaming theres great games from that age and utter rubbish too. But to me the majority are still playable, very much so. Which is why I find it so tough to pick just ten. But off the top of my head, a few that immediately come to mind to be as timeless as a Beatles track:

-Lode Runner. Have always loved this game, the earlier eight computer versions especially over the scrolling NES style.
-Sentinal. Slow but IMO engrossing and absorbing.
-Missile Command. The VCS version altered from the arcade to suit what the VCS can do, and ends up with a ripper port.
-Frogger. As home ports go, you seldom see a bad version. Even the Game.com has a terrific version!
-Any number of pinball games. The likes of Davids midnight magic over Apples and C64s still play great.
-Epyx 'games' series. Winter sports especially is still a lot of fun in multiplayer.
-Uridium. Still fast and arcade like and looks great.
-Ghosts n goblins. Like Frogger most home ports of this seem to be really good. Tough, but good!
-Highway encounter. I thought this game lended itself really well to the isometric views of the time more than others
-Mario Brothers. Plenty of good home versions of this we played the C64 one to death.

And of course, IMO eight bit early arcade games are still my favourite games of all to play and IMO timeless. The gameplay still great for the majority and the graphics have an abstract charm that does not seem old in the way newer games look dated.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Off the top of my head....

Boulderdash (C64) It's simply never dated, as much fun now as it was then. Enjoyed the retro caves on the 360 version, despite the tweaked physics and movement

Manic Miner (Spec) This has dated, but I love it just the same, particularly for it's quirky sense of humour, it feels uniquely British.

I Ball 2 (Spec) A bit of a 'mare to control initially, but really good once you've mastered that.

Spindizzy (C64) I still love to fire this up and just explore. Don't think I've ever seen the complete map yet.

Head Over Heels (Spec) Almost perfect. None of the games that succeeded this came anywhere close IMO. Currently playing Equinox on SNES and still think this is better.

Cybernoid (Spec/C64) An odd game that I didn't like all that much at the time, but it stands now as one of the very best examples of the flick screen shooter. Rex is pretty good as well.

Zamzara (C64) Always found it odd that Hawkeye got so much praise, when this was superior in every way. Still slick, even now.

Buggy Boy (C64) Addictive and hypnotic. Prefer this to the arcade version.

IK+ (C64) Karate Champ taken as far as the idea could go. Still a riot, and feels very different to modern fighting games.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Manic Miner (Spectrum, there's just something about this game that makes it timeless)
Boulder Dash (Atari, or C64, a classic that is timelessly playable)
Bomb Jack (Arcade Machine, still brilliant)
Heavy on the Magick (Spectrum, one of the best text/graphics adventure hybrids)
The Pawn (Atari 8Bit, a text adventure – ether always playable or never playable)
Gorf (VIC 20, the VIC version of this I can still play for hours.)
Phoenix (Arcade Machine, to me one of the best arcade shooters of the time and still playable)
Galaxian/Galaga (Arcade Machine, OK cheating a bit here, a pure classic Space-invaders+ game, also still imminently playable)
Tempest (Arcade Machine, the original and best shoot-down-a-hole game, a perfect vector shooter)
The entire early Ultima game series(Apple II, Atari 8Bit, C64, Pure RPG -you just need to get over the graphics!)

Of course these are all very much IMO, and in no particular order!
The hardest thing about this list is keeping it to 10 games, there are loads of perennially playable 8Bit games out there.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

demon

Post by demon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:55 am

It's impossible to narrow them down to 10, so I'll just spit out the first 10 that comes to my mind...

1. Space Taxi (C64)
2. Boulderdash (C64)
3. Bruce Lee (C64)
4. Spy vs Spy (C64)
5. Atic Atac (ZX)
6. Jet Set Willy (ZX)
7. Super Mario Bros (NES)
8. Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS)
9. Pitfall! (VCS)
10. Dig Dug (VCS)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:30 am

1) Bomb Jack (Speccy) - Just so playable
2) Chuckie Egg (BBC) - Still a classic
3) Commando (Speccy) - Again so playable
4) Manic Miner (Speccy) - A classic
5) Knight Lore (Speccy) - Brings back those nostalgic feelings
6) Rambo (C64) - Nostalgia plus a great game
7) Footballer of the Year (Speccy) - Still a lot of fun
8) Match Day II (Speccy) - Nostalgia and love playing this
9) Sabre Wulf (Speccy) - a classic
10) Jet Pac (Speccy) - A brilliant retro game

Remind me to post Speccy games on a top 10 arcade games that are still fun today list ;)

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:46 pm

I miss this place. Topics like this were soo good!

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:19 pm

1. Asteroids Deluxe (arcade - in my view the perfect video game)

the rest in no particular order:

Thrust (BBC probably the best - but check out the EXCELLENT 2600 home-brew)
Chuckie Egg (BBC again - but I enjoyed the CPC version)
Jet Set Willy (Final Fronter version on CPC)
Boulderdash (the NES version of this is excellent)
Dropzone (I played the NES version which is magnificent)
Super Breakout on 2600
Kaboom! on 2600
Combat on 2600 (Tank Pong)
Warlords (any version as long as you have paddle control)
Last edited by davyK on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pomegran

Post by pomegran » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:49 am

In no particular order:

1. Thrust (C64 or Beeb)
2. Space Taxi (C64)
3. Uridium (C64)
4. Chuckie Egg (Beeb or Spectrum)
5. Dropzone (Atari 800/XL)
6. Enduro Racer (Spectrum)
7. Stunt Car Racer (C64)
8. Commando (Spectrum)
9. Nebulus (C64)
10. Quedex (C64)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Probably the following;

Jetpac - ZX
Cobra - ZX
Chuckie Egg - ZX
Green Beret - ZX
Lightforce - ZX
3D Starstrike - ZX
Bounty Bob Strikes Back - ZX
Mikie - ZX
Hypersports -ZX
Spy vs Spy - ZX (would’ve placed higher if I could find another player to play against.)
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:45 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:33 pm
Not including arcade games here, only computers (although will include arcade conversions)

1.Journeys End (Speccy)
2.The Wild Bunch (Speccy)
3.Star Raiders (A8)
4.Green Bert (Speccy)
5,The Hobbit (Speccy)
6.Cyclone (Speccy)
7.Buggy Boy (c64)
8.Atic Atac (Speccy)
9.IK+ (C64)
10.Wizball (C64)

I fired up Journey's End the other day. First time in like 30 years. IT certainly was ambitious.

Extra points for "Green Bert" - great conversion.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:45 pm
paranoid marvin wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:33 pm
Not including arcade games here, only computers (although will include arcade conversions)

1.Journeys End (Speccy)
2.The Wild Bunch (Speccy)
3.Star Raiders (A8)
4.Green Bert (Speccy)
5,The Hobbit (Speccy)
6.Cyclone (Speccy)
7.Buggy Boy (c64)
8.Atic Atac (Speccy)
9.IK+ (C64)
10.Wizball (C64)

I fired up Journey's End the other day. First time in like 30 years. IT certainly was ambitious.

Extra points for "Green Bert" - great conversion.
Cheers. Yeah JE really is a case of imagination over actuality. That square dot? That's you an intrepid explorer , wandering through the dark tunnels with your flaming torch in one hand and sword in the other. Nowadays when we have systems with graphics to do all tje imagining for us, it's much harder to suspend disbelief with games like this. Yes ambitious but it succeeded in doing what it set out to; at least back in the day.

Yeah Green Bert was a brill conversion, and bonus points for it being better than C64. Tbh at the time I didn't even realise it was an arcade conversion, because I'd never seen it when on hols. But it was a Joffa Smith game, so quality was assured.

In fact come to think of it, back in the day when Jeff Minter, Matthew Smith and Mel Croucher were well known names, I can't ever remember him being talked about at all, we just knrw that Imagine created some brill arcade like games.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Journey's End owes a lot to earlier games like Adventure, Rogue and Black Crystal which were also something of a triumph of imagination over technology.

I'd think that the key thing with such games is in providing the player enough cues to get their mind working to fill in the gaps without providing too much information to the extent that the spell is broken. The same probably applies even today as I'd think that that's what separates games like Skyrim and Witcher 3 from the million and one Ubisoft games that are technically doing the same thing, but just feel like the sum of their parts rather than a truly immersive experience.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:42 pm

For me, the 8-bit games are really starting to age to the point where they aren’t as good as I thought but I still play Rebelstar 2 on the Speccy pretty regularly. It’s just the right level of simplicity vs complexity and I don’t think it has ever been bettered.