Controversial gaming opinions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

LAIS

Controversial gaming opinions

Post by LAIS » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:39 am

Do you have any opinions about games that you think will have people shaking their heads in disagreement? Share them here! You never know, they might not be as divisive as you think.

Here’s mine:

* The Gameboy Zelda games (Link’s Awakening and the Oracle series) are far superior to A Link to the Past on the SNES - They’re more creative (particularly Link’s Awakening), quirkier and they have a fun sense of humour about them. In fact I’d go as far as to say I find A Link to the Past slightly boring.

Most Spectrum era games have aged badly and are difficult to enjoy now - MOST but not all (R-Type for example is still excellent). At the time they were clearly revolutionary and even in the 16 bit era they would have retained their charm. I’ve played them for the first time in the modern era and without the tint of nostalgia to keep me interested I’m finding the majority a drag. Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate the creativity and thought behind them. I can absolutely see why they’d have been fun in the first place. As technology progresses though they feel more like a relic than a means of entertainment.

Maybe I’ve just played the wrong games though, and I’m well aware that it’s a sweeping generalisation.

pratty

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

Post by pratty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:08 am

LAIS wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:39 am
* The Gameboy Zelda games (Link’s Awakening and the Oracle series) are far superior to A Link to the Past on the SNES - They’re more creative (particularly Link’s Awakening), quirkier and they have a fun sense of humour about them. In fact I’d go as far as to say I find A Link to the Past slightly boring.
I've not played the GB Zeldas fully, yet, but I think this is a plausible conclusion to reach. I do like ALTTP, but in general I find the 3D Zeldas are clearly I'm also goign to say better than the 2D ones.
LAIS wrote:
Most Spectrum era games have aged badly and are difficult to enjoy now - MOST but not all (R-Type for example is still excellent). At the time they were clearly revolutionary and even in the 16 bit era they would have retained their charm. I’ve played them for the first time in the modern era and without the tint of nostalgia to keep me interested I’m finding the majority a drag. Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate the creativity and thought behind them. I can absolutely see why they’d have been fun in the first place. As technology progresses though they feel more like a relic than a means of entertainment.
I'd go further and say most pre-16 bit games are pretty obsolete and an eyesore. To be clear there are definitely some timeless exceptions but I honestly don't miss this period of gaming.

Also Tetris must be the most overrated game ever. That it still makes many people's top 10 games of all time lists (often being placed first!) after all the masterpieces and innovations that have come since, is utterly mind boggling to me. :?
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Wow... very controversial start to this thread!
LAIS wrote:
The Gameboy Zelda games (Link’s Awakening and the Oracle series) are far superior to A Link to the Past on the SNES - They’re more creative (particularly Link’s Awakening), quirkier and they have a fun sense of humour about them. In fact I’d go as far as to say I find A Link to the Past slightly boring.
Can't agree with you at all on this one... I do enjoy the Gameboy titles but 'A Link to the Past' is a masterpiece. It's original with great level design and pixel perfect gameplay. These things do tend to get over hyped over time which instantly turns some off - I get that - but I simply don't understand why you would say it is 'slightly boring'!
LAIS wrote:
Most Spectrum era games have aged badly and are difficult to enjoy now - MOST but not all (R-Type for example is still excellent).
pratty wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:08 am
I'd go further and say most pre-16 bit games are pretty obsolete and an eyesore. To be clear there are definitely some timeless exceptions but I honestly don't miss this period of gaming.
Each to their own, but again I can't agree. My experience of playing these games in the 80s allows me to see past their age and remember them how they were at the time. Every system has good and bad games, but to start saying the majority are now unplayable because of the sands of time just doesn't make sense to me.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:50 pm

I'd agree on the Gameboy Zelda's. The SNES one was ace but the same experience on the handheld for Awakening and the oracle series was a great dual game idea!

My controversial opinion is streets of rage 1 is better then 2! Shock!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm

ET didn't crash the games industry
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:08 pm

merman wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm
ET didn't crash the games industry
Is it really opinion if its true?
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:21 pm

ET epitomised the software industry at the time, but you by no means say that the industry would not have crashed if it hadn't been for ET.

Anyway, the software industry didn't crash , it was Atari that slumped; in the UK the industry was thriving, and the only real signs of the 'crash' was a slew of dirt cheap VCS carts.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:10 pm

I know what you mean LAIS about 8-bit games being past it, so to speak. I think with gaming they know what 'works' and what doesn't in terms of fun and so games of the pioneering days I agree can feel mostly tedious to play. But on the other hand, after the movie King Of Kong, I have since become addicted to Donkey Kong and have discovered a depth in it I previously hadnt, and so that has made me search for other gems that I may have overlooked. Another is David's Midnight Magic, a pinball game that is rewarding the more you play it, but like Donkey Kong you want to throw joysticks against walls at the beginning.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:41 pm

My own controvesial opinion is that we're due another videogames crash - the only thing that's held it back from happening so far is that the online stores for the consoles now have support for "indie" game developers to get them coverage and market penetration. If it was up to the main publishers with yearly releases of essentially the same games with minor (if any) improvements, then it probably would have happened by now.
Where logic won't work, I will

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:28 pm

LAIS wrote:

Maybe I’ve just played the wrong games though, and I’m well aware that it’s a sweeping generalisation.
Had to rejoin the forum and reply to this ! ;)

If you werent around back in the 80's playing those games then then i can 100% understand why people arent keen on them without the nostalgia factor, i see that a lot with my nephews who love the x box but dont enjoy old retro games.

But as i always say the good games from the 8 bit era are still great now, Commando/Bomb Jack on the Speccy have stood the test of time well. To me Speccy games have dated sound/graphics but its all about the gameplay and that doesnt age. Commando/Bomb Jack and many other are still just as playable as they were back then so to me i enjoy those games.

Other games (Driller etc) back then looked amazing but are clunky/slow like anything all these years later and havent always aged (Talking about the Speccy version), same for Starglider. Back then that was amazing.

I see a lot of familiarity with mobile gaming where quite often graphics are basic but the gameplays great (as just like the 80's theres many 'bedroom coders' creating games) and its quite common to have 'retro' graphics on quite a few mobile games.

But of course there is the nostalgia factor so i'll always love playing Ghost n Goblins on the Speccy whereas someone new to 8 bits probably would think its terrible. But i'm all for gameplay, one major reason why i still love old MAME games from the 80's (and the games at Arcade Club). But interesting view though as its fascinating to know what people think of games back from the 80's they might not have been around to play (presume you're younger than us old farts ?)

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm

:)
gunbladelad wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:41 pm
My own controvesial opinion is that we're due another videogames crash - the only thing that's held it back from happening so far is that the online stores for the consoles now have support for "indie" game developers to get them coverage and market penetration. If it was up to the main publishers with yearly releases of essentially the same games with minor (if any) improvements, then it probably would have happened by now.
For me not a crash but a backlash to micro transactions. They're hardly micro these days. The loot crate system I think will one day have government legislation. Kids spending £100 On FIFA cards and the like is too much Imo.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:31 am

Final Fantasy VII is a bunch of cut scenes in search of a game to go with it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Treguard wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:31 am
Grrr! Screw you treguard, screw you! :evil:

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:55 pm
Treguard wrote:
I’m not saying this is the case here - I’m pretty sure it isn’t.

However another (perhaps) controversial opinion I have is that some journalists/critics purposely underrate FF7 either to spark controversy or because it’s the ‘cool’ thing to do. Maybe there are other reasons too. I’m pretty sure there are people out there who sincerely think it’s dated and that’s obviously fine.

But I think there are others who use it to be provocative.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:44 pm

LAIS wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pm
Sephiroth81 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:55 pm
Treguard wrote:
I’m not saying this is the case here - I’m pretty sure it isn’t.

However another (perhaps) controversial opinion I have is that some journalists/critics purposely underrate FF7 either to spark controversy or because it’s the ‘cool’ thing to do. Maybe there are other reasons too. I’m pretty sure there are people out there who sincerely think it’s dated and that’s obviously fine.

But I think there are others who use it to be provocative.
FFVII is great if you like Jap RPGs . I played it and got quite a long way in. I got annoyed at all the random battles, but criticising it for that would be like criticising a football game for only having one ball on the pitch. However I also think that the cut scenes WERE too long , but more importantly I could not get an emotional connection with the characters. Now obviously many disagree with this view, but that's fine. Personally I get on much better with Western RPGs (esp Baldurs Gate), but we all have our own preferences.

Probably a more controversial opinion is that I consider Zelda to be a RPG (or probably more RPG- lite). Orcarina our time being my favourite, and also one of my most favourite games of all time. Plenty of emotional attachments here, but for me more with Epona than Zelda!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"