2018 gaming predictions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

LAIS

2018 gaming predictions

Post by LAIS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:03 pm

We’re at the end of the year, so just for fun what do you think will happen in the world of gaming in 2018?

Here’s my predictions:

* We won’t see an N64 mini, but a Gameboy mini will be released - I don’t think it’ll be a TV console, I’d imagine it’ll be portable like the original Gameboy but smaller. If this does happen I’d hope they’d include a mix of Gameboy Colour and original Gameboy releases, and include wireless multiplayer. I actually think I’d prefer this to an N64 mini.

* Controversially, the GB Mini won’t include a Pokemon game - I hope I’m wrong here, but logistically it seems difficult with all the different versions. Unless of course they release Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue versions.

* Smash Bros, Pokemon and a major Bethesda game will be among the big Switch releases - I don’t think we’ll see the Switch have as strong a year game wise as 2017, but that’s a big ask. I think there’ll be plenty to look forward to anyway. I also think there’s a good chance we’ll see Animal Crossing on the console.

* The Xbox will continue with its steady stream of nothing when it comes to exclusive releases - sure we’ll see SOME exclusive games but I don’t think we’ll see many. Possibly Crackdown, maybe Sea of Thieves and a few digital releases. I don’t think we’ll see much else arrive or be announced.

* A new Elder Scrolls will be released - I predicted this last year, it didn’t happen. Surely it will this time round?

* We’ll see a Spyro collection released on PS4 - Surely this’ll happen on the back of Crash Bandicoot’s success?

* A new Crash Bandicoot game will be announced - Same reasoning as above.

* We’ll see a new 2D Mario game either announced or released - On Switch, I mean. I’d love if they took inspiration from the success of Sonic Mania and went with Mario World style graphics, but I imagine it’s more likely that we’ll see a New Super Mario style game.

DPrinny

Re: 2018 gaming predictions

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:36 pm

Same censored different number

People will continue to hate EA for Lootcrate crap while the bloke off the street remains clueless

Scalpers will scalp the crap outa the NES mini

More sequels

More HD versions of not that old games

Lego <Insert film name>

Microsoft announce a VR head set
And no more new games

Crackdown 3 coming in 2019

DOOM 2016 follow up
Assassins creed 2018

New version of the Switch with decent controllers

atari box is on hold will 2019
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:22 pm

I have to agree, there will be no N64 mini. 50% of the good games rare owns the ip on, everything other then mario64 and mario kart 64 have aged terribly.

nes mini will get a reissue

Capcom will continue to push out more "hd/re-releases"

Ps4 will continue to outsell the xbox one.

We will see a new gears/halo game. However it wont help shift xbox ones.

Playstation will either offer backwards compatibility or make more of a push with PSNOW, dropping the price and making sure people know what it is.

We will see nothing on resident evil 2 remake, if we do it will be slated for a 2019 release and possible vr support.

My wild card prediction. Capcom will finally get the licence to re-release Aliens Vs Predator arcade and the other licences games that have never seen a re-release.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:20 am

We won't have Half Life 3 in 2018 either :lol:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

sleepydays

Post by sleepydays » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:21 pm

Totally agree on the Gameboy Mini. Perhaps it will add color to b&w games?

I think MS will be close to dropping out. Which I think is a shame, but the PS4 has hoovered up everything worth playing.

Lootcrate-gate will drive many from the arms of modern games....perhaps into the arms of retro gaming?

The retro-gaming eBay market will continue on its eye-bleeding trajectory upwards. Collectors will trade offspring for Earthbound carts.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Switch- The system continues to do well. The start of the year sees Yoshi, a few spin off games/ports and a big ol' offering of 3rd party and Indy games, maybe one surprise. E3 sees Mario Maker 2 with even more features like tools, templates (Allstars, both Mario 2s, etc.) and social and online features to really strike while the iron's hot and be even more successful then the first one, first footage of Metroid Prime 4, Smash 5 announced with an ultimate version of Smash 4 to kill the waiting time, and at last, F Zero.

Nintendo- N64 Mini with around 15 games, very late 2018 release due to the restock of NES Mini in the summer. Multiple colour controllers with at least 1 colour being effected by scalpers. With the other Toys to Life franchises out of action, Nintendo continues the amiibo support but with less releases throughout the year. The Switch Virtual Console launches in March with the online service too.

XBox and Playstation- I still won't have an XBONE or PS4, :lol: More of the same, Sony however start to hint of the Playstation 5.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:10 pm

I would love a Gameboy Mini. I would kill everyone on this forum for one 😂😂
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:57 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:10 pm
I would love a Gameboy Mini. I would kill everyone on this forum for one 😂😂
Wasn't that called a Gameboy micro :?: :wink: How much smaller could they make it :?