Franchises and games you are surprised haven't returned

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

outdated_gamer

Re: Franchises and games you are surprised haven't returned

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:40 am

icemann wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:46 am
C&C / Warcraft style RTS games. I love my RPGs and sandbox / open world games as much as the next person, but what the hell happened to RTS games. Used to be so many. Now we never get any. This needs to change.

C&C 3 was the last good one that I can think of. Red Alert 3 was meh and we do not speak of C&C 4. Outside of the big franchises we got "Grey Goo" which was excellent (and had Frank Klepacki on music) but that was the last new one that I've played.
The so-called "MOBAs" killed off the traditional base-building RTS, basically.

Although not all is lost, there are still some smaller companies out there churning out some worthy modern representatives like the mentioned Grey Goo, but also things like Planetary Annihilation, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, and more.

EA making a good new C&C game is kinda a lost case in my view, they don't want to invest into the franchise, and the market's expectations are different now, so it's bound to be some "pay to win" mobile hero game or some such.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:47 am

thebear wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 am
Half Bloody Life
You might want to check out Black Mesa, the mod for H-L2 that became a standalone game, which re-creates the original Half-Life in the Source (Half-Life 2) engine. If you own Half-Life 2, you can download it here or buy from Steam.

There's also some odd commercial fan games like Hunt Down The Freeman, which I can't really warmly recommend.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:30 am

I miss Prince Of Persia. I guess it's been replaced with Assassins Creed. :(
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823