Worst game endings [contains spoilers]

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dan

Worst game endings [contains spoilers]

Post by Dan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:02 pm

does anyone else get really ticked off when you play a game all the way through, find all the secrets, and then the ending is really crap.
My 1st example is saints row for the 360, i had every car, weapon, outfit etc that you could think of just to find at the end that you have been set up from the start and all your gang members were actually cops that blow up the boat your on at the end.
2nd is crackdown, an exellent game with shed loads to see and do yet at the end {you can probably guess this one} another set up. :?

seabass

Post by seabass » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:06 pm

Most Castlevania games (Non-RPG ones)
Yeah lets sweat, bleed and shed tears just to see a congratulations screen.

Jeez whats the point, just gie Dracula an Island with prisoners facing the death penalty and everyone should be happy ¬_¬
I got love for you if were born in the 80's...yeah!

paranoid marvin

Re: WORSED GAME ENDINGS.

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:09 pm

Dan wrote:does anyone else get really ticked off when you play a game all the way through, find all the secrets, and then the ending is really crap.
My 1st example is saints row for the 360, i had every car, weapon, outfit etc that you could think of just to find at the end that you have been set up from the start and all your gang members were actually cops that blow up the boat your on at the end.
2nd is crackdown, an exellent game with shed loads to see and do yet at the end {you can probably guess this one} another set up. :?
Hey that sounds like a good ending to Saints Row - hope you never had an 8 bit computer , you wouldn't have been happy with the ending to any game!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:11 pm

forgot to add im dissapointed with the ending to saints row because i would have liked a sequel.

Antiriad2097

Re: WORSED GAME ENDINGS.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:33 pm

Dan wrote:does anyone else get really ticked off when you play a game all the way through, find all the secrets, and then the ending is really crap.
Oh well, no need to play that game now I know how it ends...

Its customary to mark spoilers on forums.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

seabass

Post by seabass » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:52 pm

Luckly I responded after reading the first line and then responded, not bothering to read the spoiler ^_^

Indeed it's best you add *May contain spoilers* to the title of your thread and for others to put in *SPOILER* if they are about to detail an ending ^_^

Hydlide (NES) also has a god awful congrats ending...i seen someone speed run through that game in under 10 mins (and that game looks fustratingly hard) and all you get is fairy's flothing in the air and a congrats (unless the ening was cut from the clip)

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:06 pm

To be fair a thread abouts endings of games is bound to contain spoilers otherwise there wouldn't be much to talk about.

Anyway I was disappointed with Fable's ending, I was hoping that you'd be able to wander around a bit after and do a few more quests.

seabass

Post by seabass » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:32 pm

oli_lar wrote:To be fair a thread abouts endings of games is bound to contain spoilers otherwise there wouldn't be much to talk about.

Anyway I was disappointed with Fable's ending, I was hoping that you'd be able to wander around a bit after and do a few more quests.
Indeed but just so we don't avoid any people crying

Heh I was disappointed with Fable as a whole but thats for another thread ^_^

Anyway just thought of another game - Marvel vs Capcom 2...cause there were no endings -_- which was a shame cause I thought it was damn better then the first Marvel vs Capcom

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:32 pm

For me it must be the 1st Metal Gear Solid on PS1. I really liked the game but the ending put me off wanting to play again on a higher difficulty setting soon after.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:54 pm

oli_lar wrote:To be fair a thread abouts endings of games is bound to contain spoilers otherwise there wouldn't be much to talk about.

If you take the bad option you at least get to run around with a big f**k off evil sword...
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:02 pm

WORSED?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

How far at the back of English Class were you actually sitting?

:roll:

Just kidding!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Grahame

Post by Grahame » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:10 pm

seabass wrote:

Indeed but just so we don't avoid any people crying

Heh I was disappointed with Fable as a whole but thats for another thread ^_^

Anyway just thought of another game - Marvel vs Capcom 2...cause there were no endings -_- which was a shame cause I thought it was damn better then the first Marvel vs Capcom
I have to agree with Marvel Vs Capcom 2, all those thumb blisters for nothing... :lol:
I'd buy that for a dollar!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:00 pm

Tomb Raider on the PS1. I loved that game and laboured away at it for six months to complete it, expecting lovely FMV like the stuff that the game had previously been packed with. What you get is a two second lovely FMV clip of Lara running away from the collapsing temple. That's it. It doesn't even show you what she's running towards. I was a little bit upset about that.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:31 pm

revgiblet wrote:Tomb Raider on the PS1. I loved that game and laboured away at it for six months to complete it, expecting lovely FMV like the stuff that the game had previously been packed with. What you get is a two second lovely FMV clip of Lara running away from the collapsing temple. That's it. It doesn't even show you what she's running towards. I was a little bit upset about that.
Yeah , she could have at least have got her kit off...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:40 pm

But seriously , we're a bit spoiled by game endings these days - I mean , in the 8/16 bit days it was rare to complete any game without cheats or pokes - and even when you did , it was rarely worth the effort

Games nowadays are designed to be completed - game designers want you to complete their latest masterpiece , they want you to see the last few levels of the game - if for no other reason than you then go out and buy their latest game.

I would much prefer a decent intro to get me immersed into the game than a decent ending - I want a good reason to do what I'm being asked to do . Acheiving that result should be a reward in and of itself , you don't need a programmer telling you you've done well - you know you have

Having said that , a screen stating 'well done' , or even worse , the game looping back to level 1 , was commonplace on 8 and 16 bit machines , simply because ther wasn't room left on the disk/cartridge for anything else.Since the advent of CD/DVD there is no excuse not to give the player ample reward for their achievements , and generally speaking , I don't think games disappoint in that respect nowadays
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"