Classic Arcade Games with Unforgiving Controls

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

mrmessy

Classic Arcade Games with Unforgiving Controls

Post by mrmessy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:03 pm

I was playing Burger Time on MAME on an Xbox recently which I quite enjoy. However, it seems the controls are quite unforgiving on this game, assuming I was not playing on a broken version of the game.

For example, when you are ascending or descending a ladder and you want to get off at a particular level – when you push left or right, if your feet are not quite in line with the platform the chef chap won’t move! This can result in some annoying lost lives as you are constantly being chased. I see that as part of the challenge, and still enjoy the game, but I could see how it would put many players off the game entirely!

Anyone have any other examples?
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

paranoid marvin

Re: Classic Arcade Games with Unforgiving Controls

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:30 pm

mrmessy wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:03 pm
I was playing Burger Time on MAME on an Xbox recently which I quite enjoy. However, it seems the controls are quite unforgiving on this game, assuming I was not playing on a broken version of the game.

For example, when you are ascending or descending a ladder and you want to get off at a particular level – when you push left or right, if your feet are not quite in line with the platform the chef chap won’t move! This can result in some annoying lost lives as you are constantly being chased. I see that as part of the challenge, and still enjoy the game, but I could see how it would put many players off the game entirely!

Anyone have any other examples?
No think that's right with Burger Time. Good game, but controls are part of the challenge!

Also found it tough getting to grips with the controls for Defender; too many buttons!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 pm

I cant for the life of me think of it right now but there was some game - or games - on the C64, big title as well, that needed the space bar to jump. it was ridiculous, you had to use joystick as well as keyboard, i'd use my feet at the time. But I cannot remember what it was.. or maybe it was spacebar to shift gears in a driving game.

Otherwise Aztec and Beyond Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II were real bas*ards to play, if you didn't have a joystick at least as not many with Apples at the time did.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:44 am

Not sure how you qualify controls in this context, but for the ultimate flawed game I'd nominate Defender (IMO). Archer Maclean fixed it so easily with Dropzone.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:32 am

NorthWay wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:44 am
Not sure how you qualify controls in this context, but for the ultimate flawed game I'd nominate Defender (IMO). Archer Maclean fixed it so easily with Dropzone.
Thinking about it , the conversion of Defender to the VCS simplified the controls and made the game better . But yes DZ is the ultimate version of Defender.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:37 am

Yes I often play arcade Burger Time. Great game but that precise aspect to be EXACTLY on the platform before moving left or right is really frustrating ! But part of the game.

Apart from the usual obvious suspects like the many buttoned Defender and the right direction at the right time Laser disc games like Dragons Lair, one game I always struggled with was the arcade version of Frontline. For some reason I really couldn't get to grips with the fire button which clicked in different directions.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:24 pm

dammit I missed the 'classic arcade' bit of the title, how could I miss that... in that case yes, the controls of Defender put me right off that game, it would have been one I would definitely had played more at the arcades if it wasn't for the control system.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:13 pm

I agree that Defender is right pain to play with the original controls. However, I somehow managed to set the controls for it in MAME so that pushing left thrusts left and pushing right thrusts right - making it just like Dropzone to play. Much more fun this way! Especially when using a good arcade stick.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:28 am

mrmessy wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:13 pm
I agree that Defender is right pain to play with the original controls. However, I somehow managed to set the controls for it in MAME so that pushing left thrusts left and pushing right thrusts right - making it just like Dropzone to play. Much more fun this way! Especially when using a good arcade stick.
might have to try that, I haven't played Defender in so long I think its time I game it one more try. :)

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:12 pm

ncf1 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:28 am
mrmessy wrote:
might have to try that, I haven't played Defender in so long I think its time I game it one more try. :)
If it helps, here are the MAME controls I have set up for it:
https://flic.kr/p/22CFb2P

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 pm

well other than trying to remember how to ROTATE LEFT OF RIGHT in xybots :lol: never really had control issues with any games

but i cannot say that about the atrocity of F1 RACE STARS ..... whoever decided those controls AND not be able to change them should be beaten up ..... every day for a year!!!

try and play it on the PC keyboard and see what i mean!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:55 am

mrmessy wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:12 pm
ncf1 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:28 am
mrmessy wrote:
If it helps, here are the MAME controls I have set up for it:
https://flic.kr/p/22CFb2P
excellent, thank you for that, i will set that up and give it a roll in the next few days, geez its been a while since i played that game!

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:20 am

ncf1 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 pm
I cant for the life of me think of it right now but there was some game - or games - on the C64, big title as well, that needed the space bar to jump. it was ridiculous, you had to use joystick as well as keyboard, i'd use my feet at the time. But I cannot remember what it was.. or maybe it was spacebar to shift gears in a driving game.

Otherwise Aztec and Beyond Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II were real bas*ards to play, if you didn't have a joystick at least as not many with Apples at the time did.
That used to bug me too, particularly for Green Beret.
There's a solution... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HsPXkL2H8
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:44 pm

lavalyte wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:20 am
ncf1 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 pm

That used to bug me too, particularly for Green Beret.
There's a solution... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HsPXkL2H8
wow, that would have been unreal back in the day.. that joystick would have been perfect. I spent an absolute fortune on joysticks but then again I refused to spend like, over $10. but its all I ever had as a kid. :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:00 pm

The grenade button in Commando etc; that's what the big toe/spacebar combo is for.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"