wii U

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HdE
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 am

Re: wii U

Post by HdE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:31 pm

pratty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm

It's true some of it's games are ported or being ported, but similarly the Wii U had superior ports of previous gen Nintendo exclusives such Twilight Princess, Windwaker, and Monster Hunter Tri, if those interest you? Also the Wii U doubles as a Wii opening that entire library to you aswell if you don't already have one.
Yeah, thats something I've considered into the deal. I didn't know Monster Hunter Tri had a better port on the Wii U! Thanks for the tip.

To be honest, I'd only really pick one up to get hold of exclusives. I have something like 4 first generation Wii consoles already. Two modded to run software from an external hard drive. The other two are unused.

I DID think about picking up a Wii U just so I could capture better quality footage of Wii games for Youtube at one stage. But to be honest, it seems like a heck of an outlay for some very minimal benefits.

Maybe if I get a big payout in the not-too-distant, I guess.
Last edited by HdE on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pratty
Posts: 5482
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: wii U

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm

HdE wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:31 pm
pratty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm

It's true some of it's games are ported or being ported, but similarly the Wii U had superior ports of previous gen Nintendo exclusives such Twilight Princess, Windwaker, and Monster Hunter Tri, if those interest you? Also the Wii U doubles as a Wii opening that entire library to you aswell if you don't already have one.
Yeah, thats something I've considered into the deal. I didn't know Monster Hunter Tri had a better port on the Wii U! Thanks for the tip.

To be hinest, I'd only really pick one up to get hold of exclusives.
It's called Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, (it was also ported to the 3DS).

There is also the Wii U e-shop so you can play some retro games on a modern TV via HDMI instead of connecting the old hardware with inferior cables, but obviously that incurs the added cost of buying the games digitally.

It's certainly worth waiting until E3 to see if any more ports are announced, I wouldn't be shocked to see NSMB U, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Wonderful 101 ported to the Switch eventually.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

HdE
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 am

Re: wii U

Post by HdE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:23 pm

pratty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm

It's certainly worth waiting until E3 to see if any more ports are announced, I wouldn't be shocked to see NSMB U, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Wonderful 101 ported to the Switch eventually.
I seems the the Switch is slowly getting ports of all the good Wii U stuff. Bayonetta 2 is a big deal for me. And I'm kind of curious about Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

I've got a Switch, so if it gathers a few more of the U's exclusive titles, I'll be quite happy with that state of affairs.

User avatar
The Last Ginja
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:29 pm
Location: Currently Adventuring in Norwich

Re: wii U

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:00 pm

HdE wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:23 pm
pratty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm

It's certainly worth waiting until E3 to see if any more ports are announced, I wouldn't be shocked to see NSMB U, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Wonderful 101 ported to the Switch eventually.
I seems the the Switch is slowly getting ports of all the good Wii U stuff. Bayonetta 2 is a big deal for me. And I'm kind of curious about Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

I've got a Switch, so if it gathers a few more of the U's exclusive titles, I'll be quite happy with that state of affairs.
Such a good puzzle game. It's not that long but it's great fun.

ALK
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: wii U

Post by ALK » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:43 pm

Should be a tab bit longer on Switch as they're adding Odyssey levels.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
gunbladelad
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: wii U

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:32 am

pratty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm
HdE wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:31 pm
pratty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm

It's true some of it's games are ported or being ported, but similarly the Wii U had superior ports of previous gen Nintendo exclusives such Twilight Princess, Windwaker, and Monster Hunter Tri, if those interest you? Also the Wii U doubles as a Wii opening that entire library to you aswell if you don't already have one.
Yeah, thats something I've considered into the deal. I didn't know Monster Hunter Tri had a better port on the Wii U! Thanks for the tip.

To be hinest, I'd only really pick one up to get hold of exclusives.
It's called Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, (it was also ported to the 3DS).
You can actually use the same save data across both formats as well - although you'll need to download the save data transfer tool from the 3DS e-store. It should be noted that the portable version of the game plays best if you're either using a New 3DS or the Circle Pad Pro so that you have the second analogue stick.

On the plus side, all the DLC is still available for download and the servers are still up and running. There's a good couple of hundred people on most weekends.
Where logic won't work, I will

HdE
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 am

Re: wii U

Post by HdE » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:18 am

I might actually see if I can grab a copy of Monster Hunter Ultimate 3 for my New 3DS, then. I do have Tri for the Wii, but any excuse to dodge motion controls works for me!

ALK
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: wii U

Post by ALK » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Just be aware the 3DS version is an local/offline affair. Only the Wii U version connects online. The other 3DS MHs however do allow you to go online.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

HdE
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 am

Re: wii U

Post by HdE » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:27 pm

ALK wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:48 pm
Just be aware the 3DS version is an local/offline affair. Only the Wii U version connects online. The other 3DS MHs however do allow you to go online.
Appreciate the extra info! To be hinest, that doesn;t bother me, as I''m one of these old, opinionated farts who never, ever does online multiplayer stuff.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests