wii U

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

markymark91

wii U

Post by markymark91 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 pm

does any on here own one? are they worth getting what are the best games for it?

Matt_B

Re: wii U

Post by Matt_B » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Yeah, I've got one. I'd say that it's worth having but only really if you're into Nintendo's own games, as it got few ports or third party exclusives. What it did get usually looks far better and has more conventional controls than Wii games did though, so even if it missed the mass market by a mile it got a fair few hardcore Ninty fans back on board.

My recommendations would include Zelda - Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade X, Rayman Legends and the HD remake of Zelda - Wind Waker.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:26 am

Yes I have one and I think it's really underrated. The fact that many of it's best 3rd party games are ports are inrelevent if you've never played them before. If you pick up a Wiimote and Nunchuk you can also play Wii games on it which widens it's library considerably. It will also play your Netlix and Amazon Prime if you have them, aswell as Youtube and BBC iPlayer, all of which can be viewed on the gamepad aswell as the tv..
Matt_B wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 pm
My recommendations would include Zelda - Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade X, Rayman Legends and the HD remake of Zelda - Wind Waker.
I addition to the above I also would suggest considering Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Breeze, Deux Ex: Human Revolution, Lego City Undercover, New Super Mario Bros. U (+ Luigi U), Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, Batman Arkham City: Amoured Edition, Bayonetta 1, Pikmin 3, Steamworld Collection, Resident Evil Relvelations and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

The eshop is useful too. You can download most of the Nintendo retro classics including some Wii and even DS games, aswell as high quality digital games like Shovel Knight, Fast Racing Neo, Steam World Dig and Heist, Pullblox World, Mighty Swtich Force and Shantae.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:03 am

I have one. It's by no means perfect but worth it if you can get one cheap. Off-TV play can be a godsend if you live with a family, and there are definitely some very good games, many of which are exclusives. It does also have a few ports of stuff like Assassin's Creed, CoD and the Arkham games, though if they're all you're interested in a used 360 is probably a better option.

The biggest problem is the game pad, which was never used to it's full potential IMO. Nintendo Land offers lots of suggestions for interesting ways to use the pad, often based around asymmetrical multiplayer, but in practice it was generally only used to display maps and stuff, which was a shame.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Also get Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE and Paper Mario Color Splash.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Do you love nintendo first party games? If yes pick one up cheap. If no, skip it, most of the 3rd party titles are out on other platforms and run better. You would only be buying it for a handful of games, mii verse has shut down, splatoon servers shutdown only a matter of time before mk8 goes down.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:35 pm

It’s very underrated, but as someone else said it’s not worth it if you’re not into Nintendo first party games.

Luckily though there’s a diverse range available.

* Super Mario 3D World - this is closer to a 2D Mario in 3D form than it is a full 3D Mario release (it’s basically about completing the level rather than missions) but it’s very good all the same.

* Smash Bros - I preferred the Wii version of SSB if I’m honest but this is still great.

* Nintendo Land - a great party game and shows how the lad could have been used innovatively had this console taken off.

* Zelda, Zelda, Zelda - Like Wind Waker? The definitive version of this game is on the console. Twilight Princess? Ditto. Not got a Switch? Well, Breath of The Wild is on Wii U too and it’s brilliant.

* Mario Kart 8 - I prefer this to the Switch version although I’m well aware I’m in the minority with that.

* Xenoblade Chronicles X - Not as good as the first game, but it’s still lots of fun. It adopts the ‘silent protagonist’ approach and I found that disappointing.

There are loads of other great games too. They’re almost all Nintendo first party games but you wouldn’t want to miss out on playing them, especially while their online functions are still live (assuming they all still are)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Trixta wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:11 pm
Do you love nintendo first party games? If yes pick one up cheap. If no, skip it, most of the 3rd party titles are out on other platforms and run better. You would only be buying it for a handful of games, mii verse has shut down, splatoon servers shutdown only a matter of time before mk8 goes down.
The Splatoon servers are still up, in that you can play on-line in all modes. What they shut down was SplatNet which was the stats tracker and not an integral part of the game.

Quite how long it and MK8 have got remains speculation, but I'd be surprised if they're up much longer past the launch of Nintendo's paid on-line service which launches next year sometime. I suppose there's the possibility that the games can be hacked to use third party servers run by fans, as happened with most of the Wii online games, but that's probably not something to be counting on.

sleepydays

Post by sleepydays » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:51 pm

I picked one up this year on the back of a pretty great deal. It's...alright. There's some great hidden and not-so-hidden gems on there - Wonderful 101, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker - but I suspect most if not all of the stand-out games will be coming to the Switch. I found the controller made my hands ache, and if it breaks...not a great situation to be in. On the plus side it is backwards compatible, and the Wii games look a little nicer.

I was holding out to see if the Switch would do well before jumping in, and it has. Parcel is on the way now, and I won't have much reason to go back to the WiiU.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:13 pm

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is another good purchase for the WiiU with the servers still active, having a couple of hundred players active most of the weekend - and even when they eventually go down, all the content can still be accessed. I believe the DLC is still up as well - free of charge (as it has been since day one)
Where logic won't work, I will

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 pm

Said a few times, there's some great titles on WiiU. I'd buy one in a snap for the right price for a nice bulk setup, they hold their price pretty well though.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:40 am

Despite owning a Switch I actually expect the Wii U to be my most played console in 2018, such is my backlog and the quality of some of the games.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:28 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:00 pm
Trixta wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:11 pm
The Splatoon servers are still up, in that you can play on-line in all modes. What they shut down was SplatNet which was the stats tracker and not an integral part of the game.

Quite how long it and MK8 have got remains speculation, but I'd be surprised if they're up much longer past the launch of Nintendo's paid on-line service which launches next year sometime. I suppose there's the possibility that the games can be hacked to use third party servers run by fans, as happened with most of the Wii online games, but that's probably not something to be counting on.
oh wow I thought the servers went down when the new game came out and they took mii verse down.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Yeah, the Wii U servers are still up and probably will be for a good while, they just shut down Miiverse and are in the process of shutting down the original Wii digital store. I'm sure with quite a few people resorting to playing BOTW and its DLC pass on Wii U, they'll still make more then enough to keep servers upwith that and the odd digital games people pick up (They do still give out discounts every week and via MyNintendo). Don't forget, the main reason the Wii and DS servers, bar the odd COD, all shut off at once because gamespy went bust. This time around, the ball's in Nintendo's court.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:36 pm

My son loves it but I never took to it. He still designs levels on Mario maker and the official Wii U Mario game is really good. We own a switch and the price of some old 're released games are outrageous tbh.