52 Game Challenge

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

52 Game Challenge

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Does anyone do this?
I'm going to attempt it next year, partly because I spend so little time playing games and also to start whittling down my collection so I can get rid of the stuff I don't need. If a game can't hold my attention for an hour then it's time to get rid of it.

RetroMartin

Re: 52 Game Challenge

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:06 am

What is this? 1 game a week or something? I'm lucky if I get chance to complete a game in a month now!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 am

A great idea and I'd love to do it. But I know I'll just end up playing Sensible Soccer and NHL 2007 all year like usual 😂

That's unless I bite the bullet and get a Switch...
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:47 am

RetroMartin wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:06 am
What is this? 1 game a week or something? I'm lucky if I get chance to complete a game in a month now!
That's the aim yes. It's a nice way to track what you have played and if you want to, make you focus a bit more on finishing games than just buying and moving on to the next one.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Yeah, pretty much what retrobob is saying. I can't speak for anyone but I waste for too much money on games I never play. This is a way to hopefully rectify that :)

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:53 pm
...start whittling down my collection so I can get rid of the stuff I don't need.
I've been burned by this thought far too many times and I end up buying back the stuff I sold... but sometimes you can't replace the really old stuff (at least not in the same condition).

My advice, if you love collecting retro games, keep hold of your stuff. It could be years from now, but they'll be something you've read about or a franchise related game you've experienced and you'll want to dig something in your collection out, perhaps to try for the first time. It's a fantastic experience when that happens!

However, I appreciate not everyone has the space (or even the finances) to justify keeping a large collection.

Emulation is a great solution, but some systems just don't emulate 100% accurately... for example N64, Saturn, Amiga etc...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:24 pm

I find it very easy to convince myself that I'll eventually go back to something but I rarely do. The irony of my games shed is that it's now been up for four years and I can't recall the last time I played any of the games in there. As you said, emulation makes it easy to play stuff nowadays, and the desire to own physical things just doesn't hold the same thrill for me that it once did. I'm hoping this is going to make me actually make an effort and justify some of the strange purchases I've made :)

seekingvirtue

Post by seekingvirtue » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:12 pm

I used to do this. Now, it's less committal, more like, "Well old chap, you've beaten that one now haven't you, what now then?" I fare well straying far from games with no ending, and have dropped multiplier games almost completely (save the likes of puzzlers like puyo). I like the sense of completion with retro gaming. Ultimately, its all about the pleasure isn't lads? If its not fun, better to just read a bit or walk about outdoors, eh? Best of luck, and hope you'll find the smashing good time you're looking for in your 52 game quest.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 pm

seekingvirtue wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:12 pm
I used to do this. Now, it's less committal, more like, "Well old chap, you've beaten that one now haven't you, what now then?" I fare well straying far from games with no ending, and have dropped multiplier games almost completely (save the likes of puzzlers like puyo). I like the sense of completion with retro gaming. Ultimately, its all about the pleasure isn't lads? If its not fun, better to just read a bit or walk about outdoors, eh? Best of luck, and hope you'll find the smashing good time you're looking for in your 52 game quest.
Exactly. I'm going to start a game and if it's not fun I'm going to sell it and move on to the next. There's plenty of games outside of this that I'll be playing, but it feels like a good opportunity to address the piles of unplayed games I've picked up over the years and rarely looked at. A lot of people do stuff like this for fun on twitter and in several facebook groups I'm in, so I wanted to see if any readers here were interested in doing something similar :)

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm

I'd love to but finishing a game a week doesn't seem realistic for me. I do intend to play and finish more games though.

What I may do is limit how many games I buy. I noticed on another forum some attempting to only buy 10 games all next year. Only 10 may be tricky for me but I reckon 15 could be doable.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Back in Time Sime

Post by Back in Time Sime » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:17 pm

I have of late gone the other way, I try so very hard not to buy games "until" I am ready to play them properly, still got some sealed PS3 games I purchased back at the time that I never even opened let alone managed to play :D , I do love stats though, so see what I played, when, for how long I dorkely (is that a word?) love...

Only broken that rule a few times of late ;), one being the new Mario, got that on ice until I can really give it my all, so each game takes as long as it takes...

Taaa
Sime
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:38 pm

Would love to have the time for this. Perhaps in about 5 years....