Frank Bruno's Boxing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MondoWray

Frank Bruno's Boxing

Post by MondoWray » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:42 am

Hi all

I'm having a 'debate' with a friend who believes Frank Bruno's Boxing on the 8 bits was licensed from Nintendo. I can't find any evidence of this being the case, anyone have anything concrete?

Cheers.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Frank Bruno's Boxing

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:44 am

I've never heard that story myself, but someone might be able to shed some light on it.

MondoWray

Post by MondoWray » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:50 am

Most people are of the opinion that it's just 'heavily inspired' by Punch Out, which seems most likely but a definite answer would be great.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:58 am

Given the rich history of Elite failing to pay for things and using licensed properties illicitly, I don't believe for a moment this even crossed their minds.

Wikipedia further suggests this to be correct:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Pun ... 27s_Boxing

1985 is fairly early for copyright protection of gaming IP, the laws were a mess back then in that regard, so it was pretty common to see knock off games all over the place.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MondoWray

Post by MondoWray » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 am

I found a scan of the cassette inlay and there's certainly no copyright acknowledgement in there.

If we could just get an answer from someone who worked on the game!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am

The people who worked on a game probably wouldn't have a clue about licences, there will have been some sort of commercial manager for that.

Steve Wilcox could probably tell you.

This tale from one of the graphics guys does rather confirm Nintendo played no part in it...
Chris Harvey wrote:Chris Harvey here again. I did the graphics for this. Here's the story. We were given a huge bag of 10 pence pieces and shuffled off to an arcade in Stourbridge which had a Punch Out Machine. We spent the whole day (and the whole bag!) playing Punchout and taking hundreds of photographs (the arcade didn't mind, we spent a fortune!). Funnily enough the 1st proper 3d Poly filled game EVER was right next to it (I ROBOT from Atari... A goddamn classic!) Anyway we took the photos out and banged out a clone in about 4 months (At the same time Chris Butler was working on Commando, with Rob Hubbard chilling in the arcade room grooving to the Commando arcade machine). The boxer was originally the same Green wireframe as Punch out (and looked AWESOME) but then Elite (flush with Aiirwolf money and the fact they only paid us 45 quid a week) got the Frank Bruno license, so I had to go back in and add a lot of brown.

FUN FACT: The game came up on Prime Ministers Question Time. They said it was a racist game because of the names of the characters. We came up with those after a lunchtime at the Hop and Grape (next door to Elite) so we were a little under the influence... Anyway thats the story behind Frank Brunos!
Quote taken from the game comments section at Lemon64.com

You'll search forever to find info on licensing since there was none.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am
Chris Harvey wrote:FUN FACT: The game came up on Prime Ministers Question Time. They said it was a racist game because of the names of the characters. We came up with those after a lunchtime at the Hop and Grape (next door to Elite) so we were a little under the influence... Anyway thats the story behind Frank Brunos!
Having said that, the original Punch-Out arcade boxer names weren't any better! :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

MondoWray

Post by MondoWray » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:10 am

That's the kind of info I was looking for! Much obliged.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:53 am

I was never a big fan of Frank Bruno's Boxing... but it did headline the fantastic Elite compilation called 'Frank Bruno's Big Box' in 1989 for Spectrum, Amstrad and Commodore 64.

It had Frank Bruno's Boxing, 1942, Batty, Ghosts n Goblins, Airwolf, Saboteur, Commando, Battleships, Bomb Jack, and Scooby Doo!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Around the same time there was a similar game called 'Rocco'. I got it in a US Gold compilation called Hall Of Fame
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Rocco (originally Rocky, but retitled sue to copyright iasuea) is an interesting one. Not the same variety of fighters, but they so show physical damage through the fight.

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 am

I checked the inlay on my copy for the commodore 16 last night and there is no mention of Nintendo. All it says it that its by Elite

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:44 pm

Wonder how much Frank was paid for having his name on the game?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Some excellent games on that Elite compilation.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:40 am

I want to know if that's what Frank Bruno's signature really looks like.
Surprisingly neat writing for a boxer.