Gaming elements that annoy you.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Arnie

Re: Gaming elements that annoy you.

Post by Arnie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:00 am

mrmessy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:14 am
For me it is probably the constantly respawning enemies that infested many 8-but and 16-bit games.
Yes these can be rather annoying, make you wonder why your bothering to kill them if they are only to come back and annoy you even more. This is still a problem in some modern games.

I also agree on QTE's

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Definitely agree with non skippable cutscenes. I remember black on the ps2 is a massive culprit of this.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:26 am

* Subtitles that you can’t switch off when there’s voice acting - this took away from the Breath of the Wild experience for me. You should always be able to switch off subtitles. I find them very distracting, and at worst, immersion killing.

* Ice levels - a lot of people hate water levels. I do to. But ice levels are almost as bad for me. Slipoery surfaces, bland, repetitive scenery...they suck.

* Autosave only systems - I prefer knowing when a game is saving. Shadow of War is probably the best example of a terrible save system for me. If you’ve played it (whether you agree or not) you’ll know what I mean. There’s no reason why in this day and age you can’t just pause your game and save anywhere, any time.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:11 am

LAIS wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:26 am
* Subtitles that you can’t switch off when there’s voice acting - this took away from the Breath of the Wild experience for me. You should always be able to switch off subtitles. I find them very distracting, and at worst, immersion killing.
The reverse is also true - there are people that can't hear games that great - or may simply have to play with the volume turned down - and not having the option for subtitles can be a massive detriment to some games.
Where logic won't work, I will

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 am

gunbladelad wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:11 am
LAIS wrote:
The reverse is also true - there are people that can't hear games that great - or may simply have to play with the volume turned down - and not having the option for subtitles can be a massive detriment to some games.
That's a good point.

I also agree with the person who brought up excessive swearing. I'm no prude and bad language can definitely add realism in the right circumstance but sometimes it's just there to make a game sound more 'mature' but actually achieves the opposite.

The Beyond Good and Evil sequel is a good example. Does a game based around talking animals really need swearing?

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:05 am

gunbladelad wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:11 am
LAIS wrote:

Zelda is an argument FOR subtitles for me. Voice acting was that bad that I had to switch it to Japanese and turn on subtitles. I do that for pretty much any game that allows me (currently Lost Odyssey), I find poor voice acting annoying beyond belief, I'd rather hear it in a language I don't understand because at least then I can't tell if it's bad. I tried Yakuza 0 in English and it made my head hurt.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am

Bosses in the early stages of a game (before you've mastered the controls or build up your inventory) - a few games have stopped me cold after a few levels with a stupidly hard boss.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...