The Greatest Games Systems Of All Time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroMartin

Re: The Greatest Games Systems Of All Time

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:24 pm

1) Megadrive (10pts) - golden era of gaming for me as a lad with some fun titles

2) PS1 - part of the golden age of gaming encompassing my teen years!

3) Dreamcast - still under rated, still brilliant l, damn that VMU beep though!

4) Gamecube - first release day console I ever bought and wore it out through overuse (wait not like that!)

5) PS3 - not retro but lots of old style games and a good library

6) Gameboy (original) - not including a 2nd hand commodore this was MY first gaming system brand new and again it died from overuse and had to be replaced 7 years later!

7) Gameboy Advance - first system I bought with my own hard earned from working and got me through my days at college

8 ) N64 - this would be higher but the controller sucked a bit and I got one much later as I was a PS1 teen!

9) PC - plays everything, always there, 'nuff said!

10) Nintendo DS (1pt) - second and final release day system purchase for me, some great games and wasted hours on this and it still works even though it has a large hole in it!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:43 pm

1] Super Nintendo (10 points)
Arguably Nintendo’s greatest achievement, and yet the hardware itself was lacking in one or two areas (we’re looking at you, CPU). But the principle mantra is that a platform is only as good as the games released for it, and that’s where the Super Nintendo comes through in spades, with numerous genre defining examples and plenty of left-field brilliance. Undoubtedly my favourite console of all time, it was a perfect storm of creativity and sheer genius from not only Nintendo, but Capcom, Konami, Square, Enix, and many more.

2] Xbox 360
Following the moderate success of the original Xbox, Microsoft hit pay dirt with the follow-up console. Here it isn’t just about the games, brilliant titles both physically and available through the Live Arcade download system, but everything else that the console could offer, including online gameplay, friends, video streaming, a gamepad that torches the Dual Shock into ashes, and Achievements for extending the life span of a title.

3] Commodore 64
Come on, you really, REALLY, expected me to not be listing this computer here?! Greatest computer of all time, best-selling computer of all time, it’s the 80s equivalent of what Microsoft achieved with the 360. Do everything and anything, although let’s face it, most of us only used it for playing games. And what games they were! Another visitor… stay a while… stay forever. Once a Commodore fan, always a Commodore fan.

4] Vectrex
The gentle hum of the CRT as you turn it on is a reminder and a hark back to days of old. Completely different to everything else out there, I fell in love with the Vectrex during the late 90s and have never left the scene. Sure, there are only 28 original games available, but the homebrew market over the last 20 years has been incredible with some truly “how is this possible?!” releases such as Protector, Vector Pilot, and the forthcoming Robot Arena.

5] Playstation 2
It would be trite to not include at least one Sony console in my list, and while the original Playstation was a trail blazer, the successor truly cemented Sony as a stonewall player in the future of the videogame market. Even if its initial success was founded upon people buying it as a cheap DVD player. Once the games caught up, there was so much choice and quality, it was often hard to know where to begin.

6] Nintendo Gameboy Advance
Had to pick one Nintendo handheld for the list, and the GBA gets the nod. Partly because there are some cracking original titles, but also some improved releases from the Super Nintendo era, AND that the original DS could play the cartridges as well, extending the format’s lifespan. Backwards compatibility can still count for something!

7] Mega Drive
Never owned a Mega Drive, but I’ve played enough titles on it to recognise that anyone who owned a console in the first half of the 90s was truly blessed with a videogame market and environment that has been rarely matched since. You couldn’t lose if you owned either major console. The Mega Drive almost matched Nintendo stride for stride in the scrolling brawler and RPG stakes, and arguably exceeded it for scrolling shooters.

8] Neo Geo Pocket Color
A backlight, a backlight, my kingdom for a backlight! Thankfully some modern wizardry helps solve that problem, the only one that really blighted the handheld as an entity. Everything else was perfect. The small matter of the behemoth called Nintendo was unavoidable however, which prematurely killed the NGPC. There’s barely a duff game in the roster, and the digital stick nub is one of the best controls on any handheld.

9] Atari 2600
The pioneer, and what a lot of the old farts of my age and beyond probably grew up playing and loving. Adventure, Combat, Sky Diver, Space Invaders, Pitfall, Star Master, Warlords, River Raid, Yars’ Revenge, there are loads of cracking original games before even contemplating some of the miraculous homebrew titles out there.

10] NES (1 point)
Might be last in this list, but it’s hard to argue that the NES laid an awful lot of foundation for the modern videogame market by its success worldwide. Just not in the UK heh. This is where Super Mario, Zelda, Castlevania, Metal Gear and Final Fantasy were all founded for future success, even if the NES wasn’t the first platform to feature said series.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:14 pm

1 Amiga (10 points) . A great system all round, multi tasking, multi media machines with auto-configure (plug & play) long before Microsoft copied it all. I have 6 of them.
2 Sinclair Spectrum (9 Pts). My second ever computer, simple but fun for it. Fave model the original 128K. I really regret selling mine.
3 C64 (8 Pts). Never had one to start with so just pipped by my Speccy. Best sound of the 8 bit times.
3 Wii U (7 Pts) I like having maps and inventory on the small screen leaving the action on the TV. A bit underused though.
4 N64 (6 Pts). My introduction to all things Nintendo and console.
5 GameCube (5 Pts). I nice neat little box, best in black.
6 PS3 (4 Pts). I've got one and still occasionally use it.
7 Linux (3 Pts). Just because you can and the system is free. It's all I need for my PC fix. Booo to Windows.
9 PS2 (2 Pts). Had to check out the competition in the second round.
10 ZX81 (1 Pts). My first computer, oh no here comes that T-Rex. Still Have it and still hold a special place in my heart so had to be mentiond.

Xbox 360 (-1000 Points). Sorry all you Xbox lovers out there but this was probably my worst experience in the console market. So damned unreliable. On a plus note though the wired controller is the best I've used and it works perfectly with Linux, better than with Windows 7 strangely enough.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:11 pm

1. Atari 800XL 10 points. This was my childhood and early teens games machine and spent most of my growing up staying up late and gaming until the early hours. Can't believe I loaned my brothers floppy drive and all my games to a barman I worked with in 1990 at Abbey Lakes Hotel in Wigan, I even remember the owners name Wendy George a 60s Miss Great Britain but don't remember his name. Wish I had all those floppys now.
2. IBM COMPATIBLE 286/386 PC 9 points. Great memories playing Test Drive in Wigan college when we should have been studieing back in 89. Also was the first Pc I bought after getting compensation after a bus crash.
3. Atari 2600 8 points. Heart warming early childhood memories of the family playing this all together.
4. Nintendo Wii 7 points. This is the first games machine I got that my wife and kids and I played together for a good few years with great family moments Mario Karting, singing, bowling and playing tennis amongst others. Still set up by the TV but not played together for a couple of years.
5. Neo Geo 6 points. Always wanted one. Play games for this the most on my Wikipad.
6. Sega Genesis 5 points. I say Genesis rather than megadrive as it was my American brother-in-laws and can only remember playing a few games when we went to visit but loved Evander Hollyfield Boxing and Wayne Gretzky Hockey.
7. Xbox 360 4 points. Again when we first got this it revitalised family gaming with the kinect games sports, Dance Central and adventures. It was always fun to play with friends or relatives once the kids were in bed and especially after a few drinks.
8. Atari Lynx 3 points. Years since I played any games for this but remember taking me forever to get the emulator working on pocket Pc on my HP Ipaq handheld.
9. Atari St 2 points. Always wanted to play starglider when younger after seeing an add in Atari User mag but didn't get to play it for nearly 20 odd years later.
10. PlayStation one. 1 point. Never owned it when it first came out but got given one a good few years later by a friend who also at the time showed me his issues one and two of retro gamer and got me hooked on retro gamer and retro gaming ever since.

This is my greatest games systems of all time based on mainly childhood memories and good family times.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:13 am

1. Game Boy Color (10)
2. PS Vita (9)
3. PSP/PSP Go (8)
4. Game Boy Advance SP (7)
5. 3DS (6)
6. DS (5)
7. Sega Saturn (4)
8. PlayStation 3 (3)
9. PlayStation 1 (2)
10. Master System (1)

My votes are based on personal nostalgia for the systems, along with the amount of use and enjoyment I got out of them. There are quite a few I would happily tie together, so it was a little difficult to order them.

Honourable mention goes to the Amstrad CPC. It was our first ever computer and I absolutely adored it. I even went through a period in my teens when I realised we still had it, so I set it up in my bedroom for a few years.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 pm

1. (10 pts) Amiga 500 / 1200
2. Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k / + / 128
3. SNES
4. Xbox (original)
5. PS4
6. PS2
7. Xbox 360
8. Atari STFM
9. Playstation
10. (1 pt) Prinztronic Micro 5500 (“TV Game” from Xmas 1979)

I have only gone with systems that I actually own, or did own back in the day, as these are the ones that are most meaningful to me. So, this list is based largely on nostalgia.

I was tempted to put the ZX Spectrum at the top spot as, looking back, this really did change my life, when my brother and I were first bought one in 1983. The fondest memories (involving my brother, cousins and old friends) will always belong to the Spectrum years. However, when it comes to quick blasts of emulation-based retro gaming these days, the Amiga gets more of a look in (along with MAME and the SNES amongst others). The Amiga just feels more of an all-round favourite system from a time when I was making friends with other Amiga owners who I am still friends with today.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:42 am

1) ZX Spectrum
2) Amiga
3) Gameboy (original)
4) Megadrive
5) Atari 2600
6) Playstation
7) SNES
8) GBA
9) PC Engine
10) NES

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:54 am

Mayhem wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:43 pm
3] Commodore 64
Come on, you really, REALLY, expected me to not be listing this computer here?! Greatest computer of all time, best-selling computer of all time, it’s the 80s equivalent of what Microsoft achieved with the 360. Do everything and anything, although let’s face it, most of us only used it for playing games. And what games they were! Another visitor… stay a while… stay forever. Once a Commodore fan, always a Commodore fan.
It held the record as best selling computer for a long time, but I believe the Raspberry Pi overtook it earlier this year.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... mmodore-64

peter6168

Post by peter6168 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

1 Megadrive – Played this the most used to rent three games every fortnight, also had a caravan in Wales where I played
lots of arcade games which were ported to the Megadrive
2 Dreamcast – First console that was solely mine that I didn’t have to share with my bothers or dad, took it everywhere
even used to watch VCD’s on it. Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, MSR
3 PS1 – Playing Tomb Raider for the first time after upgrading from the Megadrive, using the link cable to play two
player C&C. MGS, GTA, Gran Turismo, FF7, Resident Evil
4 PC - Playing Chips Challenge, Theme Hospital, Doom (on 5 floppy disks) on my first PC (386) still play PC games now
5 PSP/Vita - I still pay this every day in work
6 Game Boy – Would have been the most boring 6/7 Hr trips to Cornwall ever without this
7 PS2 –Fist console I bought with my own money, playing GTA3 from table top view to 3D, Gran Turismo, Kingdom
Hearts, FFX, MGS2
8 Master System – First console I had in my room with Alex the kidd, Wonderboy and Ninja
9 N64 – I shared my room with my brother who had this loved playing Goldeneye, Zelda, Mario Party and Donkey Kong
10 Snes – Never had one at the time but played on my mates a lot, Zelda, Mario Kart, Donkey kong.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:03 pm

Voting for this ends tomorrow. Please vote if you haven't done so already :)

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:30 am

Here's mine - in no particular order

N64 - While it wasn't one of Nintendo's biggest sellers, it played host to many timeless games such as Goldeneye, Zelda OoT. Conker's Bad Fur Day, Pilotwings 64 & so on
Amstrad CPC - Not as expensive as the C64 or as cheap as the Spectrum, but it had the best of both worlds - and did well enough for Amstrad to actually buy out Sinclair entirely.
SNES - What can I say about Nintendo's 16-bit powerhouse that's not been said countless times already? For me it was the console that proved arcade-quality games could be played at home.
Game Boy - Yes, other companies did more advanced, colourful & backlit game systems, but Nintendo proved that going for older technology to increase battery lifespan is what works in mobile gaming. There's no point in a portable gaming console if your batteries die in a couple of hours or need to be plugged into the mains.
Wii - Made Nintendo a household name once again. Everyone and their granny - literally - has played Wii Sports...
DS - Alongside the Wii, this made Nintendo massive amounts of money. Heck, people I know didn't even call it the DS - they called it "The Nintendo". (A few were jealous when I said I had several Nintendos - they thought I meant I had several DS handhelds)
Mega Drive - The origin of the Sonic franchise & home to many arcade ports and RPGs that Nintendo's format simply didn't have. I sunk countless hours to this console in my teens
Dreamcast - The console that proved that consoles could do online gaming - but sadly took Sega out of the console market while simultaneously proving that they still made games that most other companies couldn't match.
Spectrum - Made the home computer market accessible for everyone in the 1980s - until Amstrad bought over the company and strapped the failed 3" disc drive to it.
Amiga - Probably the last generation of non-Microsoft OS home computers to make the big time in the UK Trounced the Atari ST into dust and pretty much everyone who didn't own a SNES / Mega Drive had an Amiga instead.
Where logic won't work, I will

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:32 pm

1) SNES (for all the amazing games in its library!)
2) NES (for the games, the legacy for gaming history and for being my first console!)
3) 3DS (for the games, and the fact the 3DS is capable of playing all DS games)
4) PC (for all those delicious strategy and adventure games!)
5) Switch (for the amazingness it is and promises to be! TWO GOTY candidates in half a year!)
6) GameBoy (for being such a revolution, long lasting and so full of great memories of my childhood!)
7) Wii (for the uniqueness and for the fun it gave; both me, my friends and countless casuals who got introduced to gaming though it. Even elders in retirement homes played Wii Sports!)
8 ) PlayStation 2 (for the many great games and memories it gave me on my way from youth to adult, and the influence it had in the youth club I was part of both as participant and later leader)
9) N64 (for leading the revolution on 3D gaming, I look at you Mario 64 and OOT!)
10) DS (for the memories and games!)

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:33 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:03 pm
Darn, I didn't see this poll before now. Oh well.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 am

Nikolai wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:33 pm
Sorry, but all the votes have long been counted.

If it's any consolation all your picks made the final list.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 am
Nikolai wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:33 pm
Sorry, but all the votes have long been counted.

If it's any consolation all your picks made the final list.
Sure, it's very understandable. Deadlines happen, I know. :)