The Greatest Games Systems Of All Time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

The Greatest Games Systems Of All Time

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:23 pm

We're planning an awesome feature for our January issue of Retro Gamer.
We've already asked you for the greatest games of all time, now we want to know what your favourite game systems of all time are, which includes home computers, home consoles and handheld systems.
Any system is valid and handhelds also count, so make sure you get those votes in.
Please list your top ten with ten points for your favourite and 1 for your least favourite.

In case you're interested mine are

1 Mega Drive (10points)
2 Xbox (9)
3 Nintendo DS (8)
4 Game Boy Advance (7)
5 PS Vita (6)
6 Xbox 360 (5)
7 PSP (4)
8 Saturn (3)
9 SNES (2)
10 Amstrad CPC (1)

Feel free to write any additional comments and the most interesting anecdotes will appear in the magazine.

JamesC

Re: The Greatest Games Systems Of All Time

Post by JamesC » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 pm

1. Mega Drive (10 points) Another top place vote for the Megadrive from me. I spent loads of time in the arcades growing up in Great Yarmouth and for me this was the first console which really felt like arcade quality gaming at home. Titles like Streets of Rage 2 and Hellfire stood out as being as good as most similar coin-ops.
2. Xbox360 (9 points). This got me back into gaming after a hiatus in the mid-00s.
3. Nintendo NES (8 points). My first console. I still have it and still love it.
4. Nintendo Game Boy (7 points). I was torn between this and the SNES for 4th place. I went for the Game Boy because it still amazes me that they managed to make so many fantastic games for this little console. Personally I think it has a higher ratio of good games in its library than any other handheld I can think of (without all the awful shovelware that dogged Nintendo's later handhelds).
5. Nintendo SNES (6 points). I love 16bit gaming and while the Megadrive takes the top spot I still spent many great hours on this system during my teenage years. Kirby's Dream Course and Mariokart ate up so many hours with friends.
6. Sinclair ZX Spectrum (5 points). My brother had one of these and we spend hours and hours on it. I bought a +2 recently and am amazed at how playable many of the games are even after all this time.
7. Sega Master System (4 points). A couple of my mates had these. We didn't really do the 'console wars' thing. I was always more than happy to get some time of Psycho Fox, R Type or Rambo.
8. Sony PSP (3 points). There were lots of 'like the real thing but not quite' downscaled ports on this system which were really a waste of time. Some of the games designed especially for the system were bloody good though.
9. Sony PS1 (2 points). I have good memories of this system and it changed the hole marketplace. I think the first time I played Resident Evil is still a personal landmark moment in gaming.
10. Nintendo Gamecube (1 point). I bought this game console for Rogue Leader and never regretted it. I was always a bit gutted at the amount of games that were on Xbox and PS2 and not ported to Gamecube though. I always wished they just used DVDs instead of those silly miniature discs.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:09 pm

1. Atari 2600 (10 Points)
2. ZX Spectrum (9)
3. Saturn (8)
4. PSP (7)
5. DS (6)
6. Dreamcast (5)
7. Wii U (4)
8. Megadrive (3)
9. Gameboy (2)
10. Vic 20 (1)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Sounds like a great idea!

1. Atari Lynx (10 points)
2. Sega Mega Drive (9 points)
3. Sega Saturn (8 points)
4. Atari 8-bit (7 points)
5. Xbox One (6 points)
6. Atari 7800 (5 points)
7. Nintendo Wii (4 points)
8. Atari Jaguar (3 points)
9. Atari ST (2 points)
10. ZX Spectrum (1 point)
Last edited by The Laird on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Obviously 'favourite' doesn't mean 'best', so

Top being best

1.VCS
2.Speccy
3.Atari 800 XL
4. Commodore 64
5.PC
6.ST
7.Vectrex
8.PSP
9.SNES
10.Amiga
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:37 am

The start of the list will be easy - but getting 10 in some form of order is going to take some juggling I think!

C64 = 10 points
Amiga = 9 points
PC = 8 points
Nintendo Wii = 7 points
Dreamcast = 6 points
Gamecube = 5 points
Atari VCS = 4 points
BBC B = 3 points
Spectrum = 2 points
Tatung Einstein = 1 point.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 am

This is a cool twist on greatest games. This will be tough, but will do my best to remember what my fave machines have been over the years...

PS1 10 Points- Our lists will be subjective and more towards favourites rather than what we believe to be greatest systems...but for me the PS1 hits the mark by both definitions. A superb machine that reignited my passion for games, and made our love of games cool and mainstream. It introduced me to great 3D games, my first taste of atmospheric story telling games and actually unnerving horror games, great arcade perfect retro compilations...and it had me at Silent Hill. Gaming just went nuts because of the PS effect. I thank it for that.
Xbox 360 9 Points- Still my current system of choice. Simply an incredible library of games (and so cheap now!) and my favourite controller to use. It will take something special for me to upgrade.
Sega Mega drive 8 Points- Just simply a great machine launched at the right time. Again, a games library makes a system and Mega Drive for me was the pinnacle of the era. Plenty of cross platform games like EA gems but it was the Sonic and exclusives like Streets of Rage series that made it for me.
GBA 7 Points- Almost gave this to the DS, as I use that for GBA games now and has a terrific library in it's own right. But there was something special about a handheld SNES...and just a brilliant range of games available
Atari VCS 6 Points- My first real love. After the Pong clone, to have a VCS with so many arcade games at home seemed like luxury and the future. And the combat cartridge started our love of multiplayer gaming sessions/nights. It introduced us to third party developers, and a taste of what talented programmers could do with limited resources, and make old hardware sing!
NES 5 Points- I never had the NES at the time, being a Sega and SMS man. But upon revisiting you can see why this machine stole hearts and wallets the world over, just simply a great system, great controllers, great games library. Just does what it does, really well.
Amiga 4 Points- This was my first introduction to post eight bit, and stunned. Dragons Lair on a gazillion disks that looked and played authentic? Check. Games like Another world, that really looked another world? Check. Sound effects on scrolling shooters that went BOOM rather than pew pew? Check!
C64 3 Points- After the Spectrum, my first computer at home with a disk drive opened me to my old Apple favourites from school like Castle Wolfenstein, Zork and Infocom adventures...and a literal ton of games with colour and sound that wowed me. Lode Runner on Spectrum was good, but on C64 with disk drive? Great. And I still remember how blown away I was with Uridium and Last Ninja!
Spectrum 2 Points- I thank Sir Clive for my first machines, without him I'd have never afforded a computer. After ZX81, I still remember the thrill of finally saving enough for this colour wonder. And getting so many games from friends on tapes. I fondly remember the uniqueness of the games, Jetpac, Ant Attack, Back to skool....good bedroom games.
Vectrex 1 Point- Speaking of unique, the one and only vector machine keeps a place for me due to that sheer unique quality. And great library of arcaders it had too.

Sorry PC engine and Dreamcasts- hurts me to leave you out! :(
Last edited by kiwimike on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:00 pm

1. SNES (10 Points)
2. Sega Master System (9 Points)
3. Atari Lynx 2 (8 Points)
4. Original Gameboy (7 Points)
5. Xbox 360 (6 Points)
6. Original Xbox (5 Points)
7. PC Engine Turbo Grafx (4 Points)
8. Amiga (3 Points)
9. Spectrum (2 Points)
10. Sony PS2 (1 Point)

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:13 pm

This is really boring to read if people don't bother to say what they like about each system.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Don't read it? All Darran asked for was a straight poll, no explanation needed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:27 pm
It's supposed to be an 'awesome feature' and the most interesting comments will go in the magazine.
It won't be very awesome if it's just a list and it doesn't reflect very well on the community if they're the source of the poll data but fail to say anything interesting enough to print.

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:07 pm

Sega Saturn

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:56 pm

JamesC wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
It's supposed to be an 'awesome feature' and the most interesting comments will go in the magazine.
It won't be very awesome if it's just a list and it doesn't reflect very well on the community if they're the source of the poll data but fail to say anything interesting enough to print.
You know what, you're right.

I missed the last line on Darran's post. Might be because I saw Amstrad in his list right before it and couldn't read for the tears of laughter.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:53 pm

1 Amiga (10 pts)
2 Commodore 64 (9 pts)
3 Playstation 2 (8 pts)
4 PC Engine (7 pts)
5 Playstation (6 pts)
6 GP2X (5 pts)
7 Commodore 16 (4 pts)
8 Nintendo 3DS (3 pts)
9 Xbox 360 (2 pts)
10 MSX (1 pt)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:27 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:56 pm
JamesC wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
You know what, you're right.

I missed the last line on Darran's post. Might be because I saw Amstrad in his list right before it and couldn't read for the tears of laughter.
:lol: That's understandable. :lol: