the Hi-Fi thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: the Hi-Fi thread

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:53 am

There's also the 'do you care' aspect, which I've mentioned before regarding 'low quality' MP3s.

I can tell the difference between good and bad audio, but there's a point at which I'm happy to accept 'good enough' quality. I don't want to hear something hissing like bad FM radio, but equally I don't care enough to pick out every single minute nuance. On that basis, a pound shop phono lead does me fine (or did when I had a hifi).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:13 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:53 am
There's also the 'do you care' aspect, which I've mentioned before regarding 'low quality' MP3s.

I can tell the difference between good and bad audio, but there's a point at which I'm happy to accept 'good enough' quality. I don't want to hear something hissing like bad FM radio, but equally I don't care enough to pick out every single minute nuance. On that basis, a pound shop phono lead does me fine (or did when I had a hifi).
if i'm listening on a denon or nad i want top qaulity but if i'm listening on a small radio i'll listen to it as is. tvs do my head in though crts(which are no longer sold) have speakers i can live with lcd tv speakers are terrible and with not all devices having phono out or optical out you stuck with it
This guy are sick

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:07 pm

I have heard Higher end stuff will working on vintage gear, while I can tell analouge from digital I just don't notice the wire thing, its the same with Car audio, I've not noticed difference between full rewires and regular upgraded drivers and tweeters.
Watching you sleep since 1990

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:07 pm
I have heard Higher end stuff will working on vintage gear, while I can tell analouge from digital I just don't notice the wire thing, its the same with Car audio, I've not noticed difference between full rewires and regular upgraded drivers and tweeters.
you need to hear it side by side before it jumps out at you really but RFI reduction is a big factor but the amount of diffrence you get is set up dependent really
This guy are sick

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Cambridge A1Mk3 amp
Sherwood PM9800 and Sansui FR-D25 turntables
Technics SL-PG480A CD player
Traxdata Traxaudio CD recorder
Sansui D-X310W tape deck
JPW ML510 bookshelf monitors

Also have a Sony PS-J10 mini turntable, bought for £1 from a car boot fair, hooked up to my PC using a B-Tech B26 phone stage.

Could not be more cobbled together, but it works a treat.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 pm

ivortheinjun wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:43 pm
Cambridge A1Mk3 amp
Sherwood PM9800 and Sansui FR-D25 turntables
Technics SL-PG480A CD player
Traxdata Traxaudio CD recorder
Sansui D-X310W tape deck
JPW ML510 bookshelf monitors

Also have a Sony PS-J10 mini turntable, bought for £1 from a car boot fair, hooked up to my PC using a B-Tech B26 phone stage.

Could not be more cobbled together, but it works a treat.
that's why stacks are great you pick whats best for you but your missing a minidisc player 8)
This guy are sick

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:29 pm

I’ve always wanted a standalone MiniDisc separate, but to be fair I’ve got three portable MD recorders, which is probably overkill as it is.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:23 am

ivortheinjun wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:29 pm
I’ve always wanted a standalone MiniDisc separate, but to be fair I’ve got three portable MD recorders, which is probably overkill as it is.
I recomend the denon f100 or f101 if your lucky cash convertors sometimes sell them way too cheap but aa seperate will get the best out of you mds mike oldfeild and iron maidden sound great on mine and i can't stress enough how much your system will benefit from a tamica mains conditioner
This guy are sick

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:25 am

just noticed thread in wrong section can it be movved to off topic
This guy are sick

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:29 am

recently added a belt driven record player to my denon system its the pro-ject primary got a good selection of LPs and 45s now too
This guy are sick

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:11 pm

up until the early 2000s i had a jvc dr-e500l which was a really cool system, had a seperate cd player etc, should have kept it as a base to do build up to some upgrades.

got a panasonic sc-ak 18 which despite the cd player being knackered I still have buried away, must be nearly 20 years old. Last used with a dvd player as a seperate cd player

these days i have a sony cmt-spz90db, really nice system, must have had it nearly 10 years as i brought it with me to this house.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:21 pm

currently got my record deck hooked up to my sensai amp but have also upgraded my sound for my tv and movies so my sky ps4 and xbox one are hooked up to a goodmans gdsbt1500p 2.1 soundbar that also has a separate sub woofer and dvds are played though a sony dav-t140 5.1 home theatre in a box system
This guy are sick

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:41 pm

My Hi-Fi consists of the following.

Exposure 2010 amp.
Marantz CD6000 KI signature CD player.
Project Carbon turntable.
Focal Chorus 726 piano black speakers.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:43 am

Just a thought, but doesn't this thread belong in the Off-Topic Section?

I've often wondered if being an audiophile is more of a curse than a blessing. I recently watched a YT video that said most people don't recognise high quality audio because they look for the wrong things (bass, loudness) as indicators of good sound instead of the finer details in the music that's being played and the audiophile is cursed to live in a world where that Beavis and Butt-Head standard is the norm.

I watched that video and made a conscious choice not to dig too deeply into the finer points of audio. I play vinyl on an Ion Max LP (not a Crosley but certainly in the neighbourhood) with a diamond needle and an old iPod docking station plugged into the headphone jack and that's good enough for me. I have a hard-drive and several USB pens of 50MB MP3 files (again that's good enough for me). I have an extensive CD collection that I play on my DVD/VCR combi through my flatscreen TV without any soundbars or speaker systems (again good enough) and, if I want to save wear and tear on the original CD, I burn off a CD-R from the MP3 and listen to that instead (again good enough).

I don't fancy trading all that in for FLAC files at 1GB a time, an expensive Hi-Fi set-up that will never be good enough and never being satisfied with anything but the best quality vinyl and going all OCD to keep it at the best quality. I'll stick to enjoying music instead of turning it into a prison. But, hey, that's just my two cents; YMMV.

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:47 pm

For music I have a Marantz CD6000 KI signature CD player and a Pioneer N50A Network Player connected to my home cinema set up of an Onkyo TX NR808 with MK speakers and a REL T7 Sub.
It all sound great for music as well as movies as I run the stereo satellite speakers and sub in pure audio for music playback. The Rel has a unique cable that connects to the main speaker terminals for this purpose as well as the standard .1 connection for surround modes. Its a little trickier to set up but once done music sounds natural without an over powering base.