Your greatest gaming gamble

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Your greatest gaming gamble

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:43 am

Free space 2 would be my Best Buy. Looked at the top10s in PCZone (this was when Medal of Honour:Allied Assault was the top FPS) and fancied a space game. Couldn't find their No1, which I think was X2, but I did find their No2, FS2. Played it for ages, got into the modding scene, into computer graphics and 3D rendering and so on.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 am

One of my best finds was picking up Suikoden 5 on the playstation 2. It became my favourite RPG of all time, actually bringing me to tears twice such was the emotional impact of some scenes and a bloody brilliant score to boot.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:38 am

binaryRooster wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 am
I always found Patton's stuff outside of FNM much more interesting. He's definitely a one off! I saw the Fantomas Director's Cut gig at the Astoria which was fantastic.
Have you heard Dead Cross?

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 pm

I haven't logged on to the forum in a while, so I looked for the 'like' button, but yes: A Brilliant game.
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Independence War on PC. Knew nothing about it, had never heard of it before, found it in a bargain bin in the main bit of Asda (not the entertainment section, it was up near the clothing and cheese). I think it cost me under a fiver, but its without a doubt one of the best PC games I ever played, commanding many hours of my time, sucking me into it's world and bleeding into mine as we tinkered with mods and patches for it and was my first proper online forum community I felt part of. I don't think any other purchase could match that initial unknown to absolute obsession this one became.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 am

seeing as the wii was a favourite console of mine i bought a wii u but sold it to get gta v and other games because it was heavly unsupported at the time but i may get one again since its library picked up ... the switch isnt my cup of tea though
This guy are sick

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:44 pm

The Wii U has some lovely games.
I think it'll become a future classic like the Gamecube or Dreamcast.
The Wii U was actually a pretty good gamble for me to be honest. I picked mine up on a whim via a really cheap Black Friday deal.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:06 am

JamesC wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:44 pm
The Wii U was actually a pretty good gamble for me to be honest. I picked mine up on a whim via a really cheap Black Friday deal.
I look att it now as nintendos last decent attempt the switch looks cheap and flimsy if there was a full home version of the switch with better controllers i'd consider it but those mini motion things annoy me
This guy are sick

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:44 pm

While at a computer / games show at Alexandra Palace in late 1988, a friend of mine bought two Atari ST games without us knowing what they were like. The games were Speedball (result!) and Afterburner (oh dear...). You win some, you lose some.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:06 am
JamesC wrote:
I look att it now as nintendos last decent attempt the switch looks cheap and flimsy if there was a full home version of the switch with better controllers i'd consider it but those mini motion things annoy me
Um, there's a pretty solid pro controller for the Switch, you don't have to use the little ones that come with it. Its turning out to be a good system now the games have started flowing from 3rd parties.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 pm
stayAwhile wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:06 am
JamesC wrote:
Um, there's a pretty solid pro controller for the Switch, you don't have to use the little ones that come with it. Its turning out to be a good system now the games have started flowing from 3rd parties.
but as for motion games i bet the contacts will wear over time as i'm sure the console is a charge port i'll wait off anyway I dout n64 gc and wii can ever be matched though and i hope 3ds still gets full support unless we get a whole new dedicated handheld the switch imo is a home console with a gimmick of handheld.

i might like i say try it but my wii still gets alot of use and theres alot of wii/wii u games to get
This guy are sick