Your top 5 RPGs since 2010, and the biggest disappointment.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PostieDoc

Your top 5 RPGs since 2010, and the biggest disappointment.

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 am

Having been blown away by the recent release of Divinity: Original Sin 2, I thought it would be interesting to see what people consider to be their top 5 RPGs since 2010, plus also what they consider to be the biggest letdown.
I have decided to make it from 2010 to the present as I consider this to be a golden age for the genre (long may it continue).
My top five are:

1 - Divinity: Original Sin 2 - this game just has everything going for it. Gorgeous graphics, a completely interactive environment, interesting and varied quests, even better characters, the ability to talk to animals. It is only available for PC at the moment but Larian are already talking about porting the game to other systems.
2 - The Witcher 3 - Geralt is one of my all-time favourite protagonists. The world is beautiful and varied and the quests put many other AAA RPGs to shame.
3 - Pillars Of Eternity - I grew up reading Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance and while this game isn't set in those worlds, it has a similar feel to it. The game is a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games (Baldurs Gate) and is very text heavy but still a joy to play.
4 - Undertale - Primitive but charming graphics, it is the world and the creatures you will meet in it that raises this game above so many others.
5 - Fallout: New Vegas - I loved the original, isometric Fallout games. I also love their 3D incarnations, of which I consider New Vegas to be the best. The RPG element is better realised than in FO3 & 4 and the people in the game are much more interesting.

As for my letdown:

Dragon Age: Inquisition - I loved DA:Origins, I didn't love DA2 but that game was an obvious rush-job so I didn't expect so much. With the promise that DA:I would be more along the line of Origins, I had high, high hopes. Instead I got a single player MMO with bland repetitive combat which lacked the ability to zoom out properly adding a high frustration factor to every encounter.

markymark91

Re: Your top 5 RPGs since 2010, and the biggest disappointment.

Post by markymark91 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:10 am

Dragon age Origins wasnt the best imo just a middle of the road RPG it didnt do anything bad but it didnt really do anything great

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:12 am

Providing it can be considered a RPG, Zelda: Breath of The Wild is the best I've played. Sunk many hours into that, and loved every minute of it. I really enjoyed Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds too, though they were much less RPG-ish.

I really haven't played many post-2010 RPGs yet, though I have quite a few on my to-play pile o' shame that I'm looking forward to, such as the Xenoblades, Mass Effect 3,the Fire Emblems on the 3DS, and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

My disappointment would be the recent Paper Mario games. Now to be fair I haven't played them either, but that's the problem, the negative reception to them has put me off picking them up. I don't blame the devs for switching up the formula but it doesn't sound it's for the better.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Best has to be The Witcher 3.

Other favourites.
Diablo 3
Path of Exile
Grim Dawn
Divinity : Original Sin
Divinity : Original Sin 2
Skyrim
Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland 2
Fallout 3
Fallout : New Vegas

By the way, The paper Mario games have not had a negative reception in general. Most people who have played the games, love the series. I am yet to play the games but I do own them and I have played a little of Thousand Year Door and what I played of it was very very good.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:39 am

Ryan GH wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:26 pm
By the way, The paper Mario games have not had a negative reception in general. Most people who have played the games, love the series. I am yet to play the games but I do own them and I have played a little of Thousand Year Door and what I played of it was very very good.
Sure the first Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door are regarded as classics, that's why I said the recent Paper Mario games , ie those for the 3DS and Wii U.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Sorry buddy, I misread it. Yes, the recent games have been a bit censored.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Honestly, I'm a bit of a dinosaur (pun intended) when it comes to RPGs - I play only old dungeon crawlers and some classic action WRPGs and JRPGs, so I haven't played much that was released past 2010. I did try Skyrim though - hated it. I only semi-enjoyed Oblivion from the TES series, but it still was very boring in the long term. There's also Witcher 2 which I still have to dedicate to (reason why I haven't yet gotten Witcher 3).

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 am

pratty wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:39 am
Sure the first Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door are regarded as classics, that's why I said the recent Paper Mario games , ie those for the 3DS and Wii U.
They don't even feel like RPGs to me. The sticker battle system pretty much replaces all the RPG combat elements from the earlier games and the rest of the gameplay is pretty much straight adventure platforming.

I think they're OK as games but the thing I found most disappointing about them is the quality of the stories. The first three games in the series are quite witty and introduce some interesting characters, but the more recent ones just follow the usual Mario formula.