Controversial magazine Reviews/Scores

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

goldenone

Re: Controversial magazine Reviews/Scores

Post by goldenone » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 am

Several years ago I used to write reviews for a European based website. One of the XBLA games that I reviewed I gave a pretty poor score as the game was pants.
I submitted the review to the website editor and was asked if i could add a few nicer comments and up my overall score for the game as 'The developer puts a lot of business our way, so we need to keep him sweet'.

Proof that its often who you know when it comes to games reviews.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:52 pm

The thing is, where is the benefit to a mag to give a bad score. There's redeeming features to most games, and most readers see a 6/10 as a warning sign just as much as a 3/10. You COULD focus your comnents on the rubbish controls, or you could focus on the pretty graphics whilst casually mentioning that the controls 'take a bit of getting used to'.

The average reader will likely forget that Generic Shooter 2017 got a score a bit higher than it may have deserved, but a publisher won't forget ypu laying into their latest title. Maybe they won't send you games to review in future, maybe they won't take out advertising in future...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:38 am
killbot wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:50 am
On the subject of controversial reviews, I do remember very vividly the 65% given to Sonic 2 in GamesMaster. Too easy and too similar to the original were the main complaints, so to be fair they did justify the mark and it wasn't just a case of trying to get attention.
Yeah I recall people saying they beat the game in a day, so too easy is a fairly justified complaint.
Funny because by modern standards it's actually really tough. Me and my wife, who grew up playing it, regularly try to beat it and struggle. Obviously spoiled by games with regenerating health and autosaves every five yards.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:41 am

Whenever any of the official magazines reviewed a game and just described the storyline without mentioning controls or playability, that always set off alarm bells. If you look at OPM's review of Angel of Darkness, they don't actually lie about the game's quality - but they don't tell you anything about it either.

A met a guy who submitted a bad review of Haven on the PS2 and ended up getting abusive calls from the developer. What did they think he was going to say?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:44 am

One notable controversy was when GameSpot fired an employee due to giving "Kane & Lynch" a mediocre score. Apparently this didn't bode well with the publisher and they put pressure on GS to fire him. But it infact was a very boring game and is now a forgotten franchise and it did rise a few eyebrows about what's going on over at gaming sites (i.e. bought reviews).

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:55 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:44 am
One notable controversy was when GameSpot fired an employee due to giving "Kane & Lynch" a mediocre score. Apparently this didn't bode well with the publisher and they put pressure on GS to fire him. But it infact was a very boring game and is now a forgotten franchise and it did rise a few eyebrows about what's going on over at gaming sites (i.e. bought reviews).
Apparently it's quite common for publishers to lean heavily on journos. Not the magazines or websites they write for, but the actual journos themselves. Which seems appalling to me; do movie studios or car manufacturers do the same thing? I've never heard of it.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:51 pm

As mentioned previously, I don't have an issue with a game that's '10/10' - it seems to create controversial reaction due to either someone miffed nothing should be regarded perfect, or that a '10/10' they may believe isn't as good as their favourite only scoring 9/10.

I think we saw this in retro gamer for the Sega collection compilation for 360/PS4 didn't we?

It doesn't bother me, as a fantastic title is a fantastic title. So what if it isn't perfect. The scores are just a reflection it's really good.

But it does bug me when games rate not so much poorly, but incredibly poorly. That etches in the mind more. Most games are at least average, and if your favourite genre you may get far more enjoyment. For a game to get less than a 50% type of score, seems to me to be over harsh. I guess you could argue the score again is just a reflection, but I would argue a score below 50% is going to affect a game sale more than something that drops from 100% to 90 or even 80. I nearly didn't buy Silent Hill Downpour due to terrible reviews, but did in the end and found it a great game.

But I do remember the infamous '100% Battles' : A game like Zelda OOT gets a perfect score- fans of Sony yell bias. So then Gran Turismo gets 100% , then Nintendo fans will yell rigged and that was just to counterbalance.
End of the day, an awesome game is an awesome game that is an excellent example of its genre. :)