Controversial magazine Reviews/Scores

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

Controversial magazine Reviews/Scores

Post by ncf1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:42 pm

flipping through the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 they brought up Hawkeye and how they may have over-rated it due to "pressure" from the coding group. Well no kidding it was over-rated - even as a kid I knew something was not quite right giving a game that deserved around 80% a whipping 96%, I mean why don't they just come out and say they were bribed and clear their conscience?

Wonderboy was a game that I felt deserved 92% but got an exceedingly lowly 52%, there just was no rhyme or reason that a game which played so well could score so low. Even kids at school loved that game, it was one that was highly prized as a 'trade'.

RG scoring Super Mario Galaxy II the perfect 100% I felt was ridiculous, all that jumping and falling was tedious so I don't know what was going on there.. it deserved perhaps 85 - 90% in my books but no way 100%, you must be kidding.

What others would you deem controversial/undeserving/underscored? And any former Zzap! editors reading this, hey just come clean once and for all and tell us how much Thalamus paid you for that ridiculous Hawkeye review! :wink:

The Laird

Re: Controversial magazine Reviews/Scores

Post by The Laird » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Given Zzap! and Thalmus were owned by the same company it's hardly a surprise!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:40 pm

ah that is something that has totally been forgotten by myself in the midst of time. So they would have bribed themselves and make things more lucrative in the process, a very solid business model indeed. CHEATS!! :D

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Towards the end of my interest in Sega Power, the book was getting thinner, and reviews were getting lazier. Sonic Chaos got a score well in the 90s, which suckered me in and left me forking out for a real dud of a game.

There was an MD Disney tie-in - possibly the Jungle Book - where the review was over 2 pages, but they introduced it saying something like: "They say a picture is worth a thousand words..." and then just had a spread of pics and captions, and little in the way of actual review, followed by a 90% score.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 am

I thought at times Edge magazine got a bit silly both ways- excessive 10/10 scores or poor scores for games that are obviously terrific.
I must admit a have less of a problem with a '10/10' - As usually the games that got that were undeniably good. It's the ones that they seemed to be intentionally harsh on for some reason. Doom was one. There were several Dreamcast games they had it in for as well.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:03 am

ncf1 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:42 pm

RG scoring Super Mario Galaxy II the perfect 100% I felt was ridiculous, all that jumping and falling was tedious so I don't know what was going on there.. it deserved perhaps 85 - 90% in my books but no way 100%, you must be kidding.

What others would you deem controversial/undeserving/underscored?
I think Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were two of the best games of the 7th generation, but yea, 100% is a bit extreme! Then again, I remember MGS 4, GTA 4 and Unchartered 2 (so all around the same time, in the same gen) also getting maximums from some publications and overall very high average scores in line with the Mario Galaxy games. Although these 3 games were amazing, I think Galaxy has stood the test of time better than they have. GTA 4 is not even close to being the best GTA game.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:21 am

Amiga Power were quite harsh and ruffled a few feathers with some of their scores. I think they gave Frontier: Elite 2 a score in the 60s, a game that many consider to be one of the Amigas best.
I can't remember if they reviewed Kick Off 2 or not?
They actually didn't rate many games that are considered classics on the system such as the Turrican series, Supercars 2 and James Pond 3. They also said that Crazy Cars 3 is better than the Lotus games which is heresy in my book.

At least they liked Rainbow Islands.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 pm

The one thing I cannot fault hawkeye for is it's soundtrack. Bloody love it.

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:19 pm

I remember reading one issue of Sega Pro and deciding which megadrive game to buy, it was a close one between Quackshot (which had received about 95%) and PIT FIGHTER which also received 95%!!! I chose Quackshot and I'm glad to look back and be satisfied that I made the correct choice :)

Then again it received good reviews across the board. There's an interesting website that collates old reviews, take a look: http://www.defunctgames.com/reviewcrew/ ... ck-in-1991

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:53 pm

PostieDoc wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:21 am
Amiga Power were quite harsh and ruffled a few feathers with some of their scores. I think they gave Frontier: Elite 2 a score in the 60s, a game that many consider to be one of the Amigas best.
I can't remember if they reviewed Kick Off 2 or not?
They actually didn't rate many games that are considered classics on the system such as the Turrican series, Supercars 2 and James Pond 3. They also said that Crazy Cars 3 is better than the Lotus games which is heresy in my book.

At least they liked Rainbow Islands.
Frontier deserved that score. The game was unfinished with lots of bugs. It also couldn't be played at anything like a playable framerate unless you had a souped-up A1200 - which 95% of people didn't have.

AP were usually pretty good with scores - if a game was crap, it didn't get 50% it got 5%. I didn't always agree with the scores, but there were usually pretty honest and accurate.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:40 pm

silvergunner wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 pm
The one thing I cannot fault hawkeye for is it's soundtrack. Bloody love it.
Looking back now on Hawkeye after having not seen it for ages, it is a highly polished game, the animation is absolutely superb - maybe even the best Ive seen in a C64 game, and the sound effects and soundtrack are high quality, the colour scheme though I thought they got all wrong. I do remember at the time thinking this game brings nothing new to the table, and still stand by that; its clearly a take on Shadow Of The Beast but with even more watered down playability than that. But for the C64, and at a time when it really needed good games to stay alive and indeed keep the mag going, in retrospect I cant blame Zzap for what they did, I guess I would have done similar under the circumstances. To give an unbiased rating I'd probably rate it something in the order of 85 - 88%, I remember at the time thinking "this is an 80% game", but re-reviewing it today I think I would be a touch more generous. :wink: The C64 ans Zzap really needed that game to fire, as the Amiga was taking over so quickly.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 pm

I remember when NGC Magazine got a lot of slack for giving Sonic Adventure 2 and Starfox Adventures 70%-ish scores. They even one issue after had a cut out 98% score you can put over those reviews. God I miss their game news sense of humor... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Mr.Saturn

Post by Mr.Saturn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:29 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 am
I thought at times Edge magazine got a bit silly both ways- excessive 10/10 scores or poor scores for games that are obviously terrific.
I must admit a have less of a problem with a '10/10' - As usually the games that got that were undeniably good. It's the ones that they seemed to be intentionally harsh on for some reason. Doom was one. There were several Dreamcast games they had it in for as well.
Have Edge ever fully regained credibility after they gave Gunstar Heroes a 6/10? I vaguely recall they re-reviewed it not too long back and bumped up the score.

There's actually an Edge Review Score Hall of Shame, which I found quite funny:

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/12/e ... shame.html

spectron

Post by spectron » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:33 am

Most controversial one I can remember was for Federation of Free Traders on ST/Amiga in The Games Machine issue 17

https://archive.org/details/thegamesmachine-17

The cover says it all

"WHY FOFT MUST FLOP"

davyK

Post by davyK » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Maybe not quite so controversial at the time but in retrospect........

2D shmups are demanding games - especially the more modern style of game. However if you are tasked with reviewing one you might at least make some effort or find someone else who is prepared to.

Gunbird 2 and Gigawing are two games that are consistently well thought of in STG player circles - and still are today - 17 years later.

Have a look at these uninformed, factually incorrect, lazy reviews from Dreamcast Magazine:

Gigawing - 34%
http://www.outofprintarchive.com/articl ... e14-1.html
http://www.outofprintarchive.com/articl ... e14-2.html

Gunbird 2 - 51%
http://www.outofprintarchive.com/articl ... e15-1.html
http://www.outofprintarchive.com/articl ... e15-2.html