what is your biggest disappointment in gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

markymark91

what is your biggest disappointment in gaming

Post by markymark91 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:38 pm

mine is sonic 4 episode 1 I was hyped right up for it and thought it was going to be better then sonic 1,2,3 and knuckles sadly it was anything but

General Opulence

Re: what is your biggest disappointment in gaming

Post by General Opulence » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Gameboy Color - all the years of rumours of a colour Gameboy, finally arrived 9 long years later, to the biggest disapointment, the main part - the screen is truly awful, unplayable in alot of light conditions, other handhelds at the time did it better such as the Wonderswan and NeoGeo Pocket.

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Sonic CD, after the water zone, all the levels felt very bland and "samey".

Though the Metal Sonic level was good, the end boss was a complete joke.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:54 pm

General Opulence wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am
Gameboy Color - all the years of rumours of a colour Gameboy, finally arrived 9 long years later, to the biggest disapointment, the main part - the screen is truly awful, unplayable in alot of light conditions, other handhelds at the time did it better such as the Wonderswan and NeoGeo Pocket.
Then they made a similar error with the GBA, until finally getting it right with the SP.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:03 pm

For me, it has to be Nintendo selling off Rare over to MS. Rare made really good and often unique games on the N64, infact their games were a major reason why to own the system, and some of us expected the fine tradition would continue on the GameCube, but that didn't happen as they were acquired by MS. This resulted in cancellations of games and delays to other systems and although they made some solid games on the Xbox family, they never really repeated the quality, quantity and originality they delivered in the Nintendo days. I suppose Bullfrog fans felt a similar way when EA dissolved the group.

Other than that, I was also let down when Nintendo went the underpowered, gimmicky route with the Wii, but I understand the reasons for that, and also when they dropped the realistic Zelda look in favour of a more cartoonish one, but again, I now know why they did as the games seem to age better with a cartoonish look and if I wanted a realistic/mature Zelda I'd just play The Witcher anyway.

Otherwise, I'm rarely disappointed because I don't build high expectations - I just casually observe happenings and go with the type of games I like best.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:44 pm

General Opulence wrote:
If we're talking hardware, then there's a lot to be discussed. But my reasoning is, most hardware is cost-compromised which means that cuts are being made so that it's more affordable. The only hardware that has no upper cost limits were Arcade machines and nowadays high-end gaming PCs. Only a few consoles were made that had no cost compromises such as the Neo-Geo and they were decidedly niche.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Getting my brand new, 64k Commodore Plus/4 only to later find out it wasn't compatible with the C64. I had a lot of fun with the machine but that was a real kick in the teeth.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:39 am

Kick Off 2 on PC, garbage.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Going to pick up the latest issue of Crash , and finding it replaced by a 16 page pamphlet with a cassette full of old games sellotaped to the front.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:07 pm

It has to be Double Dragon on the C64. Double Dragon was THE arcade game every kid was playing and going nuts about at school and endless 'fake' reproductions were passed around on c90 tapes with kids simply renaming Renegade as Double Dragon, or Phantom Karate, it was always one of those two but you never quit believing. Then finally the real thing comes along by Melbourne House and it was just atrocious. It was just such a profound letdown, I mean you could actually see through the sprites, it was just unfathomable that such a mistake would be let through, I still cant believe they did that.

Don't even mention Outrun.. and then upgrading to an Amiga and knowing it was going to be infinitely better, and it was just horrendous. But the Double Dragon experience really was a tough experience to deal with. I think I am still traumatised actually, and may need counseling.

..and then will need counseling for the Outrun episode.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:22 pm

The cancellation of Silent Hills.
Never gonna get over that one. :(
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:17 am

The gameplay of Primal Rage.. When I first saw this game being previewed & advertised in gaming mags back in the mid 90's the childhood version myself nearly wet his pants:
"OH MY GOD, ITS LIKE MORTAL KOMBAT, BUT WITH FRICKEN DINOASAURS!!"

Then one weekend in 1995-ish me & my brother finally got the chance to hire this game out on Megadrive and yeh - wow. They missed the mark pretty badly with that control schematic: Hold an attack button then press the D-Pad in certain ways to initiate a move or special attack!?! Seriously?. I Sincerely hope someone's made a hack of this game where by the controls are done in a similar style to MK or SFII =S
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:53 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:44 pm
General Opulence wrote:
If we're talking hardware, then there's a lot to be discussed. But my reasoning is, most hardware is cost-compromised which means that cuts are being made so that it's more affordable. The only hardware that has no upper cost limits were Arcade machines and nowadays high-end gaming PCs. Only a few consoles were made that had no cost compromises such as the Neo-Geo and they were decidedly niche.
Of course any gaming hardware is cost compromised, but this has no relation to why the screen on the GBC is so bad, as mentioned compared to the NGPC, Nintendo showed they made a bigger profit to lower quality parts and in bigger bulk buying.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 am

Metal Slug on the Neo Geo Pocket Color.
I was expecting something far more like the arcade games.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:16 am

I'd think the GBC was OK for what it was, and that was a stop-gap. Nintendo were in a bit of a corner after the failure of both Project Atlantis and the Virtual Boy, and the GBA hardware was a couple of years away from being ready. They had to put something out, and a tarted-up Game Boy was their only option if they were looking to sell it to the mass market rather than a small audience of handheld power users.

And yes it's a POC next to the godly NGPC, but that wasn't constrained by having to be backwards compatible with something nearly a decade older. Still, that's where the GBC won it for me; all the old games for my 1989 vintage brick suddenly got a new lease of life.