this guys opinion on the original xbox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Analog

this guys opinion on the original xbox

Post by Analog » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSmPGhxVu0E
personally I don't hate the original xbox, I have mentioned in the thread on here how I like it, but I do really appreciate this guys perspective (in fact he doesn't hate it either). I agree with a lot he says here, I think more than anything he dislikes what was set in place that generation. the first gen xbox and ps2 started that whole dull cycle of indistinguishable consoles that mostly pushed games that were brown, grey and a bit miserable. and the console war (although I would hardly call it a war compared to those of the previous gens) of those two big corporations fighting for control of the living room with pc-lite mini computers which ended up with both sides offerering something becoming almost indestinguishable from one another. I also remember feeling really disappointed with what was on offer during that period and I did lose quite a bit of interest at the time. I went with ngc that generation and while I respect that in retrospect ps2 and xbox did have some stuff I could appreciate and there were exceptional games on both consoles including some which bucked the miserable colour pallete trend, and some which I enjoy collecting now, it does seem to be dominated by a style I was not overly enamored with. I do also agree that the gba was like a little breath of fresh air at this time and I really enjoyed seeing the sorts of games being released then. the generation before this did have big differences between each console, the ps1 was totally unique at the time, the saturn was distinctly different and was great for 2d games and was pretty big in japan, and the n64 was doing its own thing. I kind of regret not giving sega a chance back then, as I think I would have really enjoyed the dc. I doubt a lot of people here will entirely agree with his perspective here since it tends to be a bit "this is what is wrong with modern gaming" and most people here see nothing wrong with modern games or how they have evolved into where we are now. but this period has been something I have given a lot of thought in the past in regards to why I went from being so into the ps1 to being really indifferent to the ps2...

stvd

Re: this guys opinion on the original xbox

Post by stvd » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Analog wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:19 pm
the first gen xbox and ps2 started that whole dull cycle of indistinguishable consoles that mostly pushed games that were brown, grey and a bit miserable.
This comment almost made me not watch it (or read the rest of the post).
But.....I clicked.
I had to flick through it rapidly though - not sure i I've seen (or heard) anyone quite as annoying as that. :?
The only persons perspective I appreciate, is my own.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 am

I enjoyed the original Xbox, some great titles from Sega, first amazing experience with Halo, proper online gaming with very few annoying twats online at the time.
Imo the think the PS3 and Xbox360 was duller, way too long life cycle, same FPS and sport crap every year, at least this gen there are plenty of indie titles now to break through the tedious yearly rehashes!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:20 am

Each to their own. I was late to the original XB, getting a Cube first for the RE games and Nintendo franchises, then PS2 then XB.

But I really liked it. Don't know what else to add :lol: I found the controllers were great, the system had plenty of games. But as another has pointed out, it's probably more a debate on modern games rather than the system itself. Which my only issue with modern games is the time they can chew up

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:21 pm

Yet another individual who seems to think he was into "retrogaming" before anyone else - before "retrogaming" was invented, or a "thing".... Just like me, and you, and everybody else on this forum. Wow, what a trailblazer!

Didn't really watch it past that point.

Subscribe? No.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:20 am

Although I never actually owned it, I do think the original Xbox did bring a little bit of PC gaming over to consoles - especially in regards to online play and popularization of first-person shooters, but also because it was a MS Windows powered game box with PC-like components inside. Time has shown this was the sort of evolution other consoles took too, with fully integrated online connectivity and distribution models and x86-64 architecture. However, I also think the Xbox brand also made a lot of formerly PC-centered developers more console-focused - this was especially true in the previous gen where it seemed that mainstream PC gaming was dying off before being salvaged by Valve's Steam online distribution service. Regardless, the Xbox brand and PC gaming continue to be separate entities, even though it seems efforts to merge the two are being made. As long as the PC is a open platform, we will not see any actual "unity", but fruits of a co-existence can sometimes also taste well.
General Opulence wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 am
Imo the think the PS3 and Xbox360 was duller, way too long life cycle, same FPS and sport crap every year, at least this gen there are plenty of indie titles now to break through the tedious yearly rehashes!
Agreed, it was actually last gen that had all that "grey brown cover military shooter" thing going on, plus the huge motion-control fad. I think gaming is now more back on track, with a lot more variety going on and the motion control getting an actual sense (VR).

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Rather than playing games he should be focusing on learning how to pronounce "th" insetad of "f".

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:31 am

ncf1 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 pm
Rather than playing games he should be focusing on learning how to pronounce "th" insetad of "f".
Because he's unintelligible, or because you're being a censored and making fun of someone's minor speech impediment?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 pm

I rather game on my pc. Better graphics, mod support and more flexability. Consoles are almost pcs anyway, I bet the next lot will probably run windows 10!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Ryan GH wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 pm
I rather game on my pc. Better graphics, mod support and more flexability. Consoles are almost pcs anyway, I bet the next lot will probably run windows 10!
Xbox One infact uses Windows 10. Yes, consoles nowadays are basically closed off PCs. The Nintendo GameCube was probably the last "real" games console, that is a device that plays games and only games and doesn't need any installs, patches and stuff like that.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:22 pm

I was turned off consoles when they introduced patching.