Fire Emblem

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroMartin

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:55 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:54 am
Up to Chapter 10 on Shadow Dragon now. I'm rather gutted that the second DS game never receved a release over here :(
Yeah seconded, was a very strange decision.

I can't remember where I am on Shadow Dragon, probably roughly around the same as I picked it up earlier this year.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:28 am

Analog wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 am
pratty wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 pm
Funnily enough I have been thinking very seriously about buying FE: Awakening. Though currently I'm leaning against it.

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, and I understand Awakening was designed to be accessible for newcomers, but the fundmentals don't appeal to me. I get people gushing over the presentation, characters and depth of options but it's the core gameplay that ultimately seems a bit dull. Like moving chess pieces around a board? For a RPG you don't actually do any hands on fighting do you?

I'm also scared about the amount of time the game may consume. I honestly don't know if the story and characters would be worth the effort. I also already own several unplayed RPGs waiting for my attention. :|
similar to how I feel about it. I did try out the gba ones via roms years back and I thought it was a great well thought out game but felt it was perhaps a little dull at times. it's a series I really would like to get into, I don't dislike turn based strategy, some of my favourite games have been turn based but its the whole package I am just not entirely sure about. I really liked the characters inclusions in games like ssb, they are actually some of my favourite characters to play as I also think the crossover game with persona and warriors games are a really nice idea and FE characters inclusions in codename steam was cool. I would like to try more of the games out, maybe there is one in the series I can get into more.
You should give Shadows of Valentina a go. Awesome anime cut scenes and branching story, two playable characters guy and girl, open world optional side quests for Villagers, optional boss fights weapon crafting etc.

The Dungeons are like Personas Dungeons you actually play as your character, explore destroy censored, and find hidden rooms with weapons fountains etc. Can Even stealth kill monsters the battles are the same 2d turn based but a lot deeper.

Combat is a lot deeper people wearing metal armour are vulnerable to lightening, but magic users lose life when they cast spells. One magic user can summon several ghosts to fight for her but it takes her life down to one. Flying enemies are weak to bows but now archers can attack in close combat or over very long distances obviously less damage from afar.

Quite a short easy game to finish the story but lots of optional side quests and crafting etc. Different routes to unlock more playable characters.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:35 am

Shinobi wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:28 am
Analog wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 am
pratty wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 pm
Funnily enough I have been thinking very seriously about buying FE: Awakening. Though currently I'm leaning against it.

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, and I understand Awakening was designed to be accessible for newcomers, but the fundmentals don't appeal to me. I get people gushing over the presentation, characters and depth of options but it's the core gameplay that ultimately seems a bit dull. Like moving chess pieces around a board? For a RPG you don't actually do any hands on fighting do you?

I'm also scared about the amount of time the game may consume. I honestly don't know if the story and characters would be worth the effort. I also already own several unplayed RPGs waiting for my attention. :|
similar to how I feel about it. I did try out the gba ones via roms years back and I thought it was a great well thought out game but felt it was perhaps a little dull at times. it's a series I really would like to get into, I don't dislike turn based strategy, some of my favourite games have been turn based but its the whole package I am just not entirely sure about. I really liked the characters inclusions in games like ssb, they are actually some of my favourite characters to play as I also think the crossover game with persona and warriors games are a really nice idea and FE characters inclusions in codename steam was cool. I would like to try more of the games out, maybe there is one in the series I can get into more.
You should give Shadows of Valentina a go. Awesome anime cut scenes and branching story, two playable characters guy and girl, open world optional side quests for Villagers, optional boss fights weapon crafting etc.

The Dungeons are like Personas Dungeons you actually play as your character, explore destroy censored, and find hidden rooms with weapons fountains etc. Can Even stealth kill monsters the battles are the same 2d turn based but a lot deeper.

Combat is a lot deeper people wearing metal armour are vulnerable to lightening, but magic users lose life when they cast spells. One magic user can summon several ghosts to fight for her but it takes her life down to one. Flying enemies are weak to bows but now archers can attack in close combat or over very long distances obviously less damage from afar.

Quite a short easy game to finish the story but lots of optional side quests and crafting etc. Different routes to unlock more playable characters.
cheers shinobi, that sounds like it appeals to me more than the gba ones. will check it out :)

dste

Post by dste » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:50 am

I've still yet to play one despite owing three of the games I believe. :oops:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:07 pm

dste wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:50 am
I've still yet to play one despite owing three of the games I believe. :oops:
Do it, they are great games.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Love the series, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are my favourites. I like the strategy given by the sword-axe-lance triangle and by all the different units, and the permanent death that makes you care about all your units and keeps you on your toes.
Interesting characters and good story generally, too.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 am

Started with Awakening, then GBA VC releases of Sacred Stones and Fire Emblem. Loved all three of them, especially Awakening which is in my top 5 games. Then I blitzed through the three Fates campaigns and it was all a bit 'meh' - dull characters, bland maps. The best path was the final one imo, but you have to play through at least one of the other games to get to it. Then I picked up Echoes and was really disappointed, didn't like the dungeon crawling stuff and its waaaay too text heavy for my taste. Currently picking it up and putting it down with month long gaps. Dont think i'll ever get to play the GC/Wii games due to the prices they go for (£60-£100!).
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:52 am

Finished the Awakening demo, the tutorial battle didn't grab but the first chapter did, as a result I've actually bought Awakening and also Fates: Birthright as they're supposed to be quite similar.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823