Fire Emblem

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Fire Emblem

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Any fans here?
It's probably my favourite Nintendo franchise and I've been trying to track down all the western releases. Currently p,aging the ds remake of the original game and it's a really good srpg.

ALK

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by ALK » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Began with Awakening which I really enjoyed. Did pick up Fates but have never been in the mood to go through it much further. Only others I have are the GBA duo and DS game via Virtual Console.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:22 am

ALK wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:39 pm
Began with Awakening which I really enjoyed. Did pick up Fates but have never been in the mood to go through it much further. Only others I have are the GBA duo and DS game via Virtual Console.
Those gba games are getting very pricey now. Fates is so,I'd, but it's quite hard at times. It's a great series and it's one of the few franchises I can think of where all the games hold the value.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Yeah, its a great series judging by Awakening, but as you said getting physical versions is a pricey pain in the neck. Would love a HD Collection of the GC and Wii games or even just Virtual Console rereleases, but right now they're just working out how exactly to do VC on Switch so it'll be awhile. :lol:

Am hoping to get Echos sometimes this year though, especially as the Limited Edition is still widely in-stock.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Funnily enough I have been thinking very seriously about buying FE: Awakening. Though currently I'm leaning against it.

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, and I understand Awakening was designed to be accessible for newcomers, but the fundmentals don't appeal to me. I get people gushing over the presentation, characters and depth of options but it's the core gameplay that ultimately seems a bit dull. Like moving chess pieces around a board? For a RPG you don't actually do any hands on fighting do you?

I'm also scared about the amount of time the game may consume. I honestly don't know if the story and characters would be worth the effort. I also already own several unplayed RPGs waiting for my attention. :|
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Big fan of the Fire Emblem games I finished all the GBA and DS Fire Emblems. I had Fire Emblem Sacred Stones gba of Nokgod and finished this 3 times can do it with nobody dying.

DS wasn't keen on the Art Style hated that level with the Emperor Palpatine lookalike 'Manakete' or whatever that race of beast people is called. He's unkillable but he can 1 hit kill all your characters forcing you to sacrifice characters. Characters who die in battle actually stay dead!

I also own the Wii version the woman bought me it was about £10 new looks lovely soul destroying hard even on easy and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia 3DS which is supurb
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:47 pm

pratty wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 pm
Funnily enough I have been thinking very seriously about buying FE: Awakening. Though currently I'm leaning against it.

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, and I understand Awakening was designed to be accessible for newcomers, but the fundmentals don't appeal to me. I get people gushing over the presentation, characters and depth of options but it's the core gameplay that ultimately seems a bit dull. Like moving chess pieces around a board? For a RPG you don't actually do any hands on fighting do you?

I'm also scared about the amount of time the game may consume. I honestly don't know if the story and characters would be worth the effort. I also already own several unplayed RPGs waiting for my attention. :|
They are strategy rpgs, so they do require a bit of planning, but I find them incredibly deep and satisfying to play. Most take around 20 hours to complete and their nature means they are not super grindy like a lot of RPGs.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:40 pm

I believe Awakening and Fates have free demos you can try if it helps.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:07 am

ALK wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:40 pm
I believe Awakening and Fates have free demos you can try if it helps.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Edit: So i tried the tutorial level, seemed ok to be fair. It did a decent job of explaining things, though I worry when the game gets harder it could be a headache to manage. I'm still on the fence, not sure it's worth the punt for me at around £30, I feel there's safer options I could buy, like the upcoming Superstar Saga and Samus Returns.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Personally, I'd say give it a try. The great thing about fire emblem games is that they retain their value so you'll lose very little, if anything selling it should you not like it.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 am

pratty wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 pm

similar to how I feel about it. I did try out the gba ones via roms years back and I thought it was a great well thought out game but felt it was perhaps a little dull at times. it's a series I really would like to get into, I don't dislike turn based strategy, some of my favourite games have been turn based but its the whole package I am just not entirely sure about. I really liked the characters inclusions in games like ssb, they are actually some of my favourite characters to play as I also think the crossover game with persona and warriors games are a really nice idea and FE characters inclusions in codename steam was cool. I would like to try more of the games out, maybe there is one in the series I can get into more.

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:52 am

"I did try out the gba ones via roms years back"
I can never play portable-based games on an emulator besides a select few games, it doesn't feel right at all to me. Not sure why. :(

Might give FE a try though.
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:25 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:35 pm
Personally, I'd say give it a try. The great thing about fire emblem games is that they retain their value so you'll lose very little, if anything selling it should you not like it.
If anything since Awakening still hold value, I bet once the 3DS does finally gets discontinued in the next couple of years the game will start to go up in value. :wink:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:52 am

Love the series.

I started with Sealed Sword (or whatever they retconned it's Western name too despite never releasing it abroad) then worked my way through Genealogy of Holy War and Thracia 776. Found the original and it's SNES remake shadow dragon a little slow and tough but they were good. I did enjoy Gaiden so wanted to get the recent re release on the DS.

Then they released Burning Blade abroad and I enjoyed that and Sacred Stones.

I only played Path of Radiance for a bit and bar the Shadow Dragon remake I haven't played any of the other games after Path.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:54 am

Up to Chapter 10 on Shadow Dragon now. I'm rather gutted that the second DS game never receved a release over here :(