PlayStation games backwards compatibility

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

demon

PlayStation games backwards compatibility

Post by demon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 am

What is the general level of games compatibility between PS1-PS2-PS3-PS4? I have never had any PS console, and I am considering buying a second-hand PS3. Will it generally run PS2 games? How about PS1 games? Are there some key famous games for PS2 that won't run on PS3? Thanks!

lupogtiboy

Re: PlayStation games backwards compatibility

Post by lupogtiboy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:02 am

If you want a PS3 to run PS2 games, you will need an early 60gb model. These aren't the most reliable PS3's around, quite prone to overheating (like the one I have does) and I think there are problems with some PS2 games that don't work, but no idea which ones. As far as I'm aware, no other UK-released PS3 is compatible. All will play PS1 games though.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

its not a proper job, and you can never go too far

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:02 pm

That is correct. Tbh, PS2s are so cheap now its probably a better option to get one of those for the PS2 games you want, then get one of the later model PS3s which are obviously newer and more reliable. So many of the original models are on their last legs, and the European ones had flakey PS2 software emulation rather than including the hardware from the JPN models.

Both PS2 and PS3 will play PS1 games with only a small handful having issues.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Alternatively you can get some PS2 games digitally on both PS3 and 4, with the PS4 versions having added Trophy support but given their price and how PS2 games can be brought for peanuts, you're better off buying a PS2.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:58 pm

yea ps2 is the way to go, if you use places like freecycle and provided you have transport you may be able to pick a ps2 up for free from someone giving them away, or just keep an eye on your local classifieds, free ads, the games and consoles are incredibly cheap right now.