Sonic the hedgehog - MASTER SYSTEM

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Liamh1982

Re: Sonic the hedgehog - MASTER SYSTEM

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Black Ridge wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:07 pm
I actually prefer the Master System version over the Mega Drive. The second game however, is infuriating
You think Sonic 2's difficult on the Master System? Try it on the Game Gear, no allowances made for the smaller screen size and I'm pretty sure the jump timing is a little off as well. Absolutely impossible, even the first boss is properly nails.

sidney

Post by sidney » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:26 pm

The Master System/Game Gear version is a fine fine game in its own right. The sequel on the Game Gear is teeth grindingly hard!

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:35 pm

That bloody glider stage!!!!

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:35 pm
That bloody glider stage!!!!
That was only the second level and it was the furthest I ever got through the game without save states.
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:18 am

The worst part of Sonic 2 on the Master System isn't that glider though... Wait until you get to the total guess work that is Green Hills Zone Act 2 & 3 :twisted:

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:56 am

Green Hills still had an amazing song in the background, it was basically an 8-bit remix of You Can Do Anything from CD :D
My Blog

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:35 am

miqrojamie wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:56 am
Green Hills still had an amazing song in the background, it was basically an 8-bit remix of You Can Do Anything from CD :D
That's very true, It defintely had the best level theme in the whole game.
Bridge Zone in Sonic 1 is (in part) Tail's Theme in Sonic Adventure :mrgreen:

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:13 am

ArchaicKoala wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:35 am
miqrojamie wrote:
That's very true, It defintely had the best level theme in the whole game.
Bridge Zone in Sonic 1 is (in part) Tail's Theme in Sonic Adventure :mrgreen:
Yeah. Bridge Zone had a really nice song, sounded very merry, though I've never played Sonic Adventure (though might be buying it soon).
My Blog

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:55 am

miqrojamie wrote:
I believe it actually came first in terms of release although CD was developed first it all depends on when the song was done. I did laugh when I heard it on Neo Green Hill though!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:17 am

StH2 SMS/GG was released first but I feel like the song is suited with lyrics and Masafumi Ogata composed parts of StH2 SMS/GG as well as SCD. (I prefer Naofumi Hataya's songs on SCD though especially Cosmic Eternity)
My Blog

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:54 pm

miqrojamie wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:17 am
StH2 SMS/GG was released first but I feel like the song is suited with lyrics and Masafumi Ogata composed parts of StH2 SMS/GG as well as SCD. (I prefer Naofumi Hataya's songs on SCD though especially Cosmic Eternity)
Seconded on that. Sonic CD remains one of the best soundtracks (well the Japan/EU one anyway, US is alright but pales next to other sonic games)

On another note why in the hell is Sonic Chaos not on the 3DS? They have Triple trouble on it (which was Chaos 2) so it's very weird why they pulled it off the store.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:59 pm

RetroMartin wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:54 pm
miqrojamie wrote:
Seconded on that. Sonic CD remains one of the best soundtracks (well the Japan/EU one anyway, US is alright but pales next to other sonic games)

On another note why in the hell is Sonic Chaos not on the 3DS? They have Triple trouble on it (which was Chaos 2) so it's very weird why they pulled it off the store.
Considering how many GG games were released on 3DS, my guess is they gave up due to lower sales. Similar thing happened to Master System games on the original Wii VC, after about 15-ish releases, nothing.

Mind you, Nintendo has gone on and off with VC releases on 3DS. Released GB/GBC/NES games, stopped for years, brought Pokemon R/B/Y and SNES games over, eventually stopped those, now Gold and Silver are coming next month.

Doubt they'll try revive 3DS VC a 3rd time (GBA games anyone?) but who knows. Maybe they'll temp those new New 2DS XL owners with new stuff.....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 am

They were like that on the Wii and WiiU too, they'd go months without VC titles, release several, then stop again.
My Blog

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Sometimes yeah, but even the Wii U VC is currently getting Turbografx games every now and then. You'd think they'd just put them on Switch instead like the Neo Geo games, but I guess they're waiting on Nintendo's VC Switch plans....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:21 am

ALK wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:59 pm
RetroMartin wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:54 pm
miqrojamie wrote:

Considering how many GG games were released on 3DS, my guess is they gave up due to lower sales. Similar thing happened to Master System games on the original Wii VC, after about 15-ish releases, nothing.

Mind you, Nintendo has gone on and off with VC releases on 3DS. Released GB/GBC/NES games, stopped for years, brought Pokemon R/B/Y and SNES games over, eventually stopped those, now Gold and Silver are coming next month.

Doubt they'll try revive 3DS VC a 3rd time (GBA games anyone?) but who knows. Maybe they'll temp those new New 2DS XL owners with new stuff.....
Problem was they DID release it. VERY briefly. Then they removed it and didn't replace it