harvest moon newbie

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

harvest moon newbie

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:37 pm

i have both harvestmoon back to nature and innocent life a futuristic harvest moon which is best to play in dribs and drabs? i tend not to play one game for a long time due to tv and stuff being more my thing plus i play other games when i'm in a genre mood but do find these games fun but 30 odd hours plus would be a strech in a short time period are they strictly story based or not?
This guy are sick

Jimmy Corkhill
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:34 am

The only one I've ever played (and owned) was the one on the Gamecube, and that was brilliant!

The kind of game you could lose hours on.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24747
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:37 am

The GBA one is pretty good, (Port of the PS1 version with extra bits)

Story wise, I cant really find much of one, find a wife to kind win

stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:43 am

DPrinny wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:37 am
The GBA one is pretty good, (Port of the PS1 version with extra bits)

Story wise, I cant really find much of one, find a wife to kind win
i know on ps1 its fix farm in 3 years but even clearing it is a big task
This guy are sick

ulrich7ad
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:44 am

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by ulrich7ad » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm

You might be better off with stardew valley. It has a story of sorts but its optional and it's totally suited to drib and drab play.

stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 pm

ulrich7ad wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
You might be better off with stardew valley. It has a story of sorts but its optional and it's totally suited to drib and drab play.
i plan to get that too but also want to experiance harvest moon
This guy are sick

ulrich7ad
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:44 am

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by ulrich7ad » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:27 pm

In that case I think back to nature is the better of the two you mention. I found innocent life to far removed in tone to the norm. Having said that the two gc games are the best ive played though the first has a five year story where magical melody is endless(if i recall right). The gba game is ace too.

Jimmy Corkhill
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:23 pm

ulrich7ad wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
You might be better off with stardew valley. It has a story of sorts but its optional and it's totally suited to drib and drab play.

I've been thinking about buying this the last few weeks, and I must say, I've not heard a bad word said about it.

User avatar
gunbladelad
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Animal Crossing is also geared for "drip & drab" gameplay where you just play when you feel like it - although they are more rewarding when played daily - even just for a few minutes
Where logic won't work, I will

User avatar
RetroMartin
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Played the super Famicom one and the first 2 on gameboy/colour and enjoyed them a lot. Never really played the others much.
Image

PSN username - MartinPhantom

stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:07 am

gunbladelad wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:15 pm
Animal Crossing is also geared for "drip & drab" gameplay where you just play when you feel like it - although they are more rewarding when played daily - even just for a few minutes
is the wii AC good?
This guy are sick

User avatar
gunbladelad
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:04 pm

The Wii version's OK - but in my opinion not as good as the handheld games.

I do know you can transfer over Wide World characters over to it, but I've no idea if it's just the name & appearance that makes it over or if you get the shop catalogue too.

One thing I will mention though - to unlock the final shop upgrade now, you'll need to have another character visit via the "DS Briefcase" - if you have more than one Wii system (for example, Wii & WiiU), just use the DS briefcase function to have the character from one console's save file visit the other. The visitor on that mode will still be single player, but the game registers it as a visitor from another town using your shop, allowing you to get the final shop upgrade when you've spent enough.

If you don't have a second Wii system, then I'm sure someone you know will let you use theirs for a night if you ask nicely - they're not exactly hard to find.
Where logic won't work, I will

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24747
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:46 pm

Id also put out that the GameBoy one is great for short bursts, its not as story based as later ones, its the one I started on

Gigifusc
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by Gigifusc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:18 am

Been a while since I played a HM game. But if I remember rightly, Innocent Life is the better 'game'.

Not sure they're right for drib n drab play though. Although that relies on what your time frames are for DnD - are we talking 5 - 10 mins or half an hour?

I'm not sure if HM games fit a 5-10 mins regime as they often need a good 30 mins to an hour play depending on what you're doing.

Even if you're thinking of just taking care of the farm (so a farmville replacement) I'm not sure you can do just that whilst not worrying about the rest of the game? Am I right there?? Maybe someone else can confirm.

As someone said above, the Animal Crossing games are almost perfect for that kind of play pattern.

I'm trying to think of a farm game where you literally just look after the farm - but not farmville which is designed for retention and time frustrating gameplay mechanics. Can anyone think of one??

Edit: HayDay??

stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

Re: harvest moon newbie

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:52 am

Gigifusc wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:18 am
Been a while since I played a HM game. But if I remember rightly, Innocent Life is the better 'game'.

Not sure they're right for drib n drab play though. Although that relies on what your time frames are for DnD - are we talking 5 - 10 mins or half an hour?

I'm not sure if HM games fit a 5-10 mins regime as they often need a good 30 mins to an hour play depending on what you're doing.

Even if you're thinking of just taking care of the farm (so a farmville replacement) I'm not sure you can do just that whilst not worrying about the rest of the game? Am I right there?? Maybe someone else can confirm.

As someone said above, the Animal Crossing games are almost perfect for that kind of play pattern.

I'm trying to think of a farm game where you literally just look after the farm - but not farmville which is designed for retention and time frustrating gameplay mechanics. Can anyone think of one??

Edit: HayDay??
i played an hour or two of innocent life last night it seems easier to play than back to nature and some of the charicters are great i'm struggling wit the farm but the rpg side will probably motavate me to keep trying
This guy are sick

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests